Build Threads Details on Club Lexus IS-F owner vehicles

Resurrecting a 2012 Lexus ISF from the dead

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-21, 06:27 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts

Awesome thread! I love that color on the IS-F.
The following users liked this post:
onepointon (09-13-21)
Old 09-13-21, 03:43 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Totally awesome! Thanks, this will make the whole restoration process much better!
So bad news - that part number is just for the dust seals, not the piston seals. I got them in today and they were missing the seals for the pistons.

Did some more research and ordered these part numbers off of ebay.

Centric 143.35037 Front
Centric 143-47008 Rear

I think most people I saw on the forums were ordering from Rock Auto, but they are out of stock on the rear. I found plenty of listings on ebay for them though.
forget2pee (11-22-21)
Old 09-13-21, 07:42 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts

Subscribed... Nice work Michael

Joe Z
Old 09-14-21, 12:09 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,964 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Originally Posted by onepointon
So bad news - that part number is just for the dust seals, not the piston seals. I got them in today and they were missing the seals for the pistons.

Did some more research and ordered these part numbers off of ebay.

Centric 143.35037 Front
Centric 143-47008 Rear

I think most people I saw on the forums were ordering from Rock Auto, but they are out of stock on the rear. I found plenty of listings on ebay for them though.
That picture at lexuspartsnow's website is a whole lot more than deceptive. I ordered those parts before and only got dust seals, which solved the worst of my problems as you can see from the pics I posted. Super disappointed the piston seals and pistons are only available from Centric, not Brembo.
Old 09-14-21, 05:18 AM
onepointon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
That picture at lexuspartsnow's website is a whole lot more than deceptive. I ordered those parts before and only got dust seals, which solved the worst of my problems as you can see from the pics I posted. Super disappointed the piston seals and pistons are only available from Centric, not Brembo.
I'm with you, super disappointing. Thats crazy your dust seals look like that, what do you think caused that?
Old 09-14-21, 02:39 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by onepointon
I'm with you, super disappointing. Thats crazy your dust seals look like that, what do you think caused that?
No surprise at all. Notice the silver "Lexus" text is no longer silver, and the pads are full race Carbotech XP12s. They're white because I cooked them by leaving the stability controls on while tracking. This is not a good idea for me as I have a very heavy foot from racing motorcycles, so VDIM overworked the front brakes on my first track day because I was flat pedaling where half throttle was needed and VDIM was taking up the slack for my lack of skill. I got really lucky and didn't have to tour the tulips, but the pedal did nothing at all going into the slowest turn on the track, and it took cooling overnight to get the brakes back. Since then, I only track with the stability controls turned off. I could probably run them now and be OK, but when I was new to cars on track, it was a really bad thing for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
ChpEng (09-14-21), Joe Z (09-14-21)
Old 09-17-21, 04:27 AM
onepointon
Intermediate

Got a couple pictures last night from the guy doing my powder coating. Some of the pictures look like a dark blue but this one shot really showed the purple. I’m excited to pick them up later on today and get them on the car. I did get the rebuild kits in and they look correct, I guess I’ll see how they fit.

Joe Z (09-17-21)
Old 09-17-21, 04:19 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts

Nice look..!!

Just make sure all the mounting points, brake fluid port, etc are all free and clear of powder coating.

Are they going to remain naked ?

Joe Z
Old 09-18-21, 05:02 AM
onepointon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Nice look..!!

Just make sure all the mounting points, brake fluid port, etc are all free and clear of powder coating.

Are they going to remain naked ?

Joe Z
Good advice, I was planning to do that. What would you say is the best was to do that? I have silver OE style lexus stickers for them. I'll post pictures today or tomorrow when I get to rebuilding them.

Last edited by onepointon; 09-18-21 at 05:10 AM.
Old 09-19-21, 03:00 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Started to do the rebuild tonight and got one of the calipers finished. I love the way they came out!

minator (09-19-21)
Old 09-19-21, 03:15 PM
IMXCITD
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks great! I am super excited for you! Gonna be awesome!
Old 09-19-21, 06:58 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

If I were you, I'd clean the holes for the bridge bolts and the pins. They're going to chip if you can even get them through, and if you remove material yourself instead of allowing entropy to remove it for you, you'll have control over the end result. These holes from the factory are bare aluminum.

Otherwise, looking very pretty.
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
Joe Z (09-20-21), minator (09-19-21)
Old 09-20-21, 02:40 AM
petershen
Pit Crew

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Awesome build... love these resurrection threads!
ISF and GS460 are my dream cars but they were never sold here, they only had the IS250, GS300 and GS450h, so I took the hybrid.

One of the nicest things about the OEM Brembo is the internal bridge, no external pipe i.e. one less part to mess with.
Old 09-26-21, 05:10 AM
onepointon
Intermediate

I was able to get the rest of the calipers rebuilt, the seals put in, and new decals on. I think they came out fantastic. Against the recommendations that I was seeing I decided not to clean out the bore holes for the pins in the center bolt. There was still plenty of clearance there for those to fit in and be secure with no binding. Once I got all of that put back together I put the car back on my trailer and took it up to work. I got the car up on a lift and got the brakes properly bled. After that I took it for a little bit of a drive and put the brakes through a work out, got it back on a lift, took it all apart and made sure nothing was leaking. Everything appears to be all good. There was a lot of dirt and debris behind where the bumpers and the trim on the trunk panel were. I also took off the roof moldings and a pillar trim. I then washed the car wash and had all of that cleaned up so that prepping the car for paint would go easier. The car is currently up at my work and hopefully in the next few weeks they will be able to get the paint on it with the bumpers. After that it’s back home to be reassembled and the car should be mostly finished.

petershen (09-27-21)
Old 09-26-21, 07:24 PM
DevInSF
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love the color combos 👍

Quick Reply: Resurrecting a 2012 Lexus ISF from the dead