Build Threads Details on Club Lexus IS-F owner vehicles

Resurrecting a 2012 Lexus ISF from the dead

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-22, 07:36 AM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I used silicone grease on the transfer tube o-rings and it made getting the plate in place pretty easy. Without it, I am certain it would have been a big struggle. For me the key was being able to rotate the transfer tube after installation with my fingers. That let me know for sure the o-rings were happy and not rolled out of place. You're not the first person here to have struggled with this and couple of guy mentioned having to do the job twice because the o-rings were problematic.
This is exactly what I did, without greasing the o-rings there's no way they wouldn't have rolled in my opinion. I used a small mirror and inspected both sides of the tube for rolled o-rings before moving forward with bolting it down. I didn't disconnect the rubber fuel line in the back and I think that was a huge problem because the plate was hitting that when trying to put it back in. I think if I were to do another one, which hopefully I never have to, I would definitely disconnect or remove that short rubber line.

I definitely wanted to knock this out before taking it to VIR in March. Judging by how bad it was leaking I am glad I did. There were definitely wet spots within all the crusty sections. It was due!
Old 02-13-22, 07:47 AM
steeven001
Driver

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

Nice work. I used permatex the right stuff black on my ISF as well. I also used it on a handful of 3UR Tundras I've done the same repair on when I was tech and some of those went over 300k after the repair without leaking again.

I run a garden hose down into the valley to wash away all the dried up coolant and dirt around the manifold ports then take it for a quick drive to dry it up then start the job and tape up the ports once the manifold is off.

You literally have to memorize the motion you used to remove the plate and do that exact motion in reverse to put it in without messing up your sealant haha. Or lube up your orings and do few practice runs with no sealant haha
The following 2 users liked this post by steeven001:
lobuxracer (02-14-22), onepointon (02-13-22)
Old 02-13-22, 09:11 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by onepointon
Ive seen some people switching the fitting over to AN lines - is that why?
Yes this is why.
Old 02-13-22, 05:03 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

I got around to editing the video I shot yesterday when doing the valley plate.

The following 2 users liked this post by onepointon:
Joe Z (02-13-22), tronim (02-14-22)
Old 02-14-22, 07:22 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,964 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Originally Posted by steeven001
...Or lube up your orings and do few practice runs with no sealant haha
This is exactly what I did. Since the "magic" snot from Toyota is so short on time to install, I did a few dry runs with the o-rings lubed up to be sure I wouldn't be struggling with positioning once the moose mucous was in place.
Old 02-20-22, 06:04 AM
onepointon
Intermediate

I took Friday off and it has been an eventful two days! The car came with Godspeed coil overs and I wanted to switch to something that was a bit nicer in my opinion. I had Fortune 500's on my LS swapped IS300 and liked them a lot. I live in Richmond, VA and Fortune is located about 15 miles from my house so it also feels good to support a local company. Fortune did a Black Friday sale a while back and I was able to score some at a decent discount in 16k F / 12k R. I had also purchased some Fig's adjustable front upper control arms that I needed to install as well. Getting the coil overs and arms on was a pretty easy job, but getting them adjusted to the right height on my garage floor was a total PITA so I took it up to work so I could use a lift and get it aligned.

Lastly, I test fitted the 18x9.5 +38 RPF1's and they fit nicely so I went ahead and mounted up the tires on them. I haven't had a chance to test fit them on the car but hopefully I can get that done today.

I also finally got to installing the "F" badges on the fenders and the rear emblem. I don't know why, but I felt like that should be the last thing I did to the car, kinda of like the icing on the cake. The car looks so much better with them on!

Last edited by onepointon; 02-20-22 at 06:13 AM.
The following 8 users liked this post by onepointon:
agtuning (02-20-22), bakalag (03-03-22), Bizzy3726 (02-20-22), BS ISF (02-21-22), Defratos (02-23-22), Joe Z (02-21-22), lobuxracer (02-20-22), msgs350 (03-02-22) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-22-22, 07:35 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts

awesome! love that color!
The following users liked this post:
onepointon (02-23-22)
Old 03-12-22, 09:25 AM
onepointon
Intermediate

Doing some track prep this weekend as I’ll be at VIR next weekend. I mounted the tires a few weeks ago but just now had time to test them on the car. These are just for track use only, I’ll be running the OE BBS wheels on the street as I think they look a million times better.

It’s wet outside at the moment but it looks like they are going to be fine up front, maybe a bit close in the rear with the fender lip. I am going to spend some more time in the garage this afternoon installed new OE brembo rotors, carbotech pads, and new brake fluid. Also going to knock out a new drive belt and spark plugs if I have time.

Old 03-13-22, 07:09 AM
Jwconeil

Seems like fortune auto is taking over social media. I’m seeing a lot of people using them. Why did you choose them?
Old 03-13-22, 03:49 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
Seems like fortune auto is taking over social media. I’m seeing a lot of people using them. Why did you choose them?
Interesting - they must be targeting you because I haven't seen any of that..

They are local to me (literally 10 miles from my house) and I've known a few people to work there. I also had them on my LS2 swapped IS300 and liked them a lot. It was a mix of liking them on my old car and wanting to support a local company.

The previous owner had installed Godspeed coil overs and they rode like ****. I wanted something that wasn't obnoxiously expensive as well..
Old 03-24-22, 10:43 AM
Jwconeil

Just saw some footage of you at VIR… you were pulling that RCF pretty hard, and your car looked pretty flat in corners. Good footage indeed.
onepointon (03-26-22)
Old 03-24-22, 11:25 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Can I ask what front/rear damper settings are you running on your ISF? I have the same Fortune Auto 500 coilovers w/ 16/12 Sprint springs, but I'm finding it hard to get them dialed in to a setting to my liking.

Apologies if this is off topic, and thanks in advance!
Old 03-26-22, 05:09 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
Just saw some footage of you at VIR… you were pulling that RCF pretty hard, and your car looked pretty flat in corners. Good footage indeed.
thanks man, the car did great! Here is a link I uploaded if anyone wants to check it out. I am the ISF ahead and the car filming was a RCF with headers and full exhaust. The RCF sounded absolutely insane when he was in front of me going down the straights. The guy filming and I didn't meet until after this session. Awesome guy and I really appreciate him uploading the footage!

BS ISF (03-29-22)
Old 03-26-22, 05:18 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Just to recap - VIR was an awesome experience in this car. I had originally built my LS swapped IS300 with the hope it would be a good weekend / HPDE car. When I got that car on track it was clear to me there were a lot of things I would want to change on it and I decided to go a different route. I thought an ISF was out of reach until I found this wrecked car. It was a big deal for me to buy this car but I am 100% glad I did and getting it on track after this whole rebuild was totally rewarding.

I ended up going down to the track by myself, however my wife brought our two kids down for a little bit that Saturday. It was a 2.5 hour trip but I was really happy to have them there at the track to check things out. The car didn't give me a bit of trouble. Plenty of power, amazing brakes, excellent handling.. it was awesome. I am sure someone else could find things to critique if they were to get in the car, but for what I need I am more than happy. I also got my bump into HPDE 2 this weekend. I signed up for another event at VIR in August and I am on a wait list for an event in May. I will try to get to one or two more events this year if I can.

I didn't take nearly enough pictures and videos this weekend, but here are a few.

The following 3 users liked this post by onepointon:
BS ISF (03-29-22), ChpEng (04-01-22), lobuxracer (03-27-22)
Old 03-27-22, 10:54 AM
Jwconeil

I intend to track mine, but have been busy with a house move remodel. I’m also a bit nervous someone will smack into me and ruin my car.

Quick Reply: Resurrecting a 2012 Lexus ISF from the dead