LS500 3.5L Twin turbo engine installation in GS350

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-21, 03:27 PM
AbiLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Arrow LS500 3.5L Twin turbo engine installation in GS350

Hello Dears,

Can I install ( LS500 RWD 3.5L twin turbo V6 Engine) engine in 2013 GS350 RWD???

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LS500 V35A-FTS 3.5L TT Engine:

https://www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=192
LS500 V6 3.5L TT

I would be grateful for comments!!!
The following 3 users liked this post by AbiLexus:
4GS350 (11-19-22), davidvu418 (02-09-24), PM22 (06-20-22)
Old 12-03-21, 04:12 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,572 Posts

Do you have $50,000 laying around and a fully equipped shop? If so then yes.
The following 2 users liked this post by LeX2K:
bob256k (06-23-22), Ranny48 (09-24-24)
Old 12-04-21, 07:57 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 888 Likes on 668 Posts

If they can put a Mustang 5.0L V8 in a Miata you certainly can put a 3.5L V6 Twin Turbo where a 3.5L V6 was right?
Do you have the entire donor car for the mounts and airboxes and computers or just the long block?
The following users liked this post:
Ranny48 (09-24-24)
Old 12-04-21, 11:32 AM
asciarra21
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Might need to beef up the trans and diff.
Old 12-05-21, 02:26 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Anything is possible if you are willing to spend enough money, but if you want seamless, factory like integration, it would be cheaper to buy the most expensive GS-F for sale today. There are a lot of computers that need to talk to each other for modern engine swaps to work, which is where you would spend the bulk of your money, assuming the engine physically fits. You may have to use the 10-speed automatic as well, and if so, you'd have to modify the interior to integrate the electronic gear selector.

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 12-05-21 at 02:35 AM.
Old 12-06-21, 08:18 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,428 Likes on 1,126 Posts

Originally Posted by panyo64
Anything is possible if you are willing to spend enough money, but if you want seamless, factory like integration, it would be cheaper to buy the most expensive GS-F for sale today. There are a lot of computers that need to talk to each other for modern engine swaps to work, which is where you would spend the bulk of your money, assuming the engine physically fits. You may have to use the 10-speed automatic as well, and if so, you'd have to modify the interior to integrate the electronic gear selector.
This. Include even the Instrument display even working and the Wiring harness cut and match up would be a nightmare. For the money better to buy or build this on your own that would use your own motor with some swaps on the 4.0 motor.

350 production 3.5L V6 2GR-FSE engine - 480hp, even with the Stock intake going be a 425hp with lots of Tq.

See bottom of page.
http://www.lynxae.co.uk/ForSale-1.htm
Old 12-06-21, 10:36 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,231 Likes on 1,449 Posts

It will be cheaper to buy an LS500 than do what your talking about.
Old 06-15-22, 10:06 PM
supergeniu
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When this motor dies it will be LS swapped lol. SRS
Old 06-23-22, 05:42 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 206 Posts

I wish we could block threads like this, it gets posted too much and likely from people trying to "build karma" to sell something on CL.
Old 03-13-24, 01:41 PM
davidvu418
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Turboing A GS350

I always love researching Lexus products, and some of us have dreamt of having an F car or a Frankenstein build, especially one like this. The closest thing we could get is buying a GSF or waiting for a supercharger kit for the FKS. But I love to dream and talk, even if it comes out to nothing but words.

The FKS, compared to the older FSE, might be theoretically better for a turbo build. The FKS ditches the conventional header design for cylinder heads with integrated exhaust manifolds, just like the V35 in the LS500. It allows for a faster spool, a smaller package, creates a simpler design, and retains more heat/energy for better efficiency.

However, there will be issues with the FKS. An issue we probably have all seen is the need for more mod support, mainly the need for a proper tune, unlike the OBD II tunes out there with limited adaptability.

In regards to a turbo project, 9Mesh has turboed a 2GR-FSE which has made over 700whp in his IS350. Both the FSE and FKS are open deck blocks and are very similar other than the integrated exhaust manifold. On the plus side, the GS has more room in the engine bay than the IS (or it should be at least). A twin-turbo 2GR-FKS is possible, but it will be costly unless you have all the skills in the world to create the parts needed.

Creating a turbo FKS will need a lot of parts, and the parts I’ll talk about will not be the only parts needed:
  • To create reliable power, I think the first thing to do is to push the car as far as possible NA so that there can be less of an emphasis on force induction and the strains that come with it. Mods like porting the intake manifolds (upper and lower), or maybe even swapping out for a larger throttle body. But increasing the rev limit excessively and having a more aggressive cam(that moves the power curve up) may be less of an improvement as turbos only work within a specific range in the rev range.
  • This may seem extreme, but someone who’s thinking about doing something like this should swap out the internals for forged internals. And while you’re at it, port the intake/exhaust ports on the heads. Maybe even get some aftermarket/custom sleeves since it’s an open deck design.
  • Create the custom single exhaust header, and there are a couple of ways of going at it. One way is moving the manifold and turbo towards the front of the car on either end just like 9Mesh. The other choice that I haven’t verified is having the turbo placed right next to the manifold, but of course, I have no idea if there would be enough clearance for the turbo, intake piping, exhaust piping, charge piping, and additional parts that will be needed. At least the header will be cheap since it's only 1 pipe compared to merging 3 pipes into 1.
  • Can’t forget about cooling down the air from the charge pipe with a conventional air-to-air intercooler or a water-to-air intercooler. This shouldn’t be too complicated a section of the build. But it definitely would be cool and maybe even a better performer going the water-to-air route.
  • Upgrade the fuel pump, fuel lines, injectors, spark plugs, hoses, clamps, and really anything else that’s needed.
  • After that, install all the necessary lines and pipes—coolant or oil, in particular, since it may be necessary to switch to a dry sump system.
  • Finally, probably the most important aspect, getting a good standalone that can handle the 2GR-FKS and a tuner that can efficiently use the 12 injectors or any other special features that could be used from the engine.
If you made it this far, thank you for enduring my yappathon, and I hope I can positively share my interests with you all.