Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

TIme attack sc400

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-22, 11:20 AM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 508 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by bboyjohn04
Here's a video i put together specifically for Thunderhill Raceway West course.
https://youtu.be/xHE2zjlTH-I
I watched the whole vid...Nice rush!
I'm thinking of adding a lip to my 92 front. How much does yours, do you think, add to your performance
Purple Bullet

Last edited by Barbary; 03-06-22 at 11:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bboyjohn04 (03-07-22)
Old 03-07-22, 01:03 AM
bboyjohn04
Pit Crew

Received 110 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by emLEX
How much do you think your aero is helping vs hurting on certain tracks? Would be interesting to see lap times on the same track with the rear wing removed. I'm not familiar with Thunderhill, but looking at that video it looks like it could go either way. Lots of fast corners where it should help, but also induce drag and keep overall speed down on the straight sections.

And what's rubbing?
I was able to pull up some old screen shots from no aero to added aero for your curiosity. When it was on the double staggered setup eith the bbs rs2 wheels (17x8 front 235/45r17 18x10 rear 275/35r18 federal rs-rr) before making the switch to te37sl with toyo r888r 275/35r18 square. Also, the rubbing over the harsh bump sectors is the remainder of my cut fender plastic trim getting in contact. I should probably remove it completely but don't see any point since it isn't causing any harm to the tires or anything else.

No aero on bbs rs2 and federal rsrr setup

After aero, the added aero made the tires more usable after a few hot laps because it didn't get as oily keeping the car more planted on high speed corners vs the car wanting to slide around without the aero
Old 03-07-22, 01:08 AM
bboyjohn04
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Barbary
I watched the whole vid...Nice rush!
I'm thinking of adding a lip to my 92 front. How much does yours, do you think, add to your performance
Purple Bullet
honestly i cannot say how much performance increase you will gain from just a lip. You would have to go and test your car on the track and gather data and compare the driving experience. I used the lip from kbd because i couldn't find any fujin lip available. Then i built the front splitter based on it to get the rake angle. However adding a lip in general will enhance the car aesthetically.
Old 03-07-22, 06:29 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 508 Likes on 301 Posts

Thank you,
I saw how much time and effort you put into the lip and front end, that was impressive. I have the front end I want, just have qualms about disturbing the air flow w a lip. I will do as suggested, take it out and see how things go
your time attack looks like a lot of fun. Stay Safe!
bboyjohn04 (03-08-22)
Old 03-09-22, 05:52 PM
bboyjohn04
Pit Crew

Track Photo dump of my Time Attack sc400 from recent track day. Will go back to the drawing board and make some minor change for the front splitter to get a raking angle of attack.

Front view of sc400 with carbon creations ts1 hood and kbd lip along the custom front splitter

Big country labs 1850mm carbon fiber atmospheric demolisher gt wing

🧐👌🏻

Time attack sc400 Side profile Te37sl

Probably my favorite shot of the time attack sc400 build and process.

stheodore (12-04-22)
Old 03-10-22, 12:07 PM
CLass of 1
Advanced

Received 295 Likes on 190 Posts

Congratulations on following your vision dude! I’m sure there was more than a couple doubters who told you the car was too heavy or whatever, but you persevered. Car looks great and it seems like you’re having a blast! What more could you want, right?

Nick
bboyjohn04 (03-12-22)
Old 03-12-22, 03:51 PM
bboyjohn04
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by CLass of 1
Congratulations on following your vision dude! I’m sure there was more than a couple doubters who told you the car was too heavy or whatever, but you persevered. Car looks great and it seems like you’re having a blast! What more could you want, right?

Nick
more track days are what i want lol. I'll continue to update as i go. I'm really surprised that there aren't that many time attack or grip focused sc400 given it's front mid engine layout, it can be a very formidable foe in dogfights during track days. Hopefully more will join the scene
Old 03-12-22, 07:31 PM
CLass of 1
Advanced

Received 295 Likes on 190 Posts

more track days are what i want lol. I'll continue to update as i go. I'm really surprised that there aren't that many time attack or grip focused sc400 given it's front mid engine layout, it can be a very formidable foe in dogfights during track days. Hopefully more will join the scene
Yeah, I think the SC has a reputation for being over-engineered and heavy. Weight is the ultimate killer in racing, as you well know. I personally hadn’t considered using the SC for track duty because despite its midship layout which you accurately point out, I doubt you could get an SC down in weight enough to make it truly competitive. Having said that, there’s a lot to be said for just enjoying your car and having fun, which I genuinely commend you for. I would love to see if you could get her down to 3,000 pounds. I think that’s kind of the threshold for a “lightweight” car. Sub-3,000 is where it’s at.

My car weighed 3,683 without me in it and a full tank of gas, fully stock. Could we shave 700 pounds from this platform?

Nick
Old 03-13-22, 10:03 AM
bboyjohn04
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by CLass of 1
Yeah, I think the SC has a reputation for being over-engineered and heavy. Weight is the ultimate killer in racing, as you well know. I personally hadn’t considered using the SC for track duty because despite its midship layout which you accurately point out, I doubt you could get an SC down in weight enough to make it truly competitive. Having said that, there’s a lot to be said for just enjoying your car and having fun, which I genuinely commend you for. I would love to see if you could get her down to 3,000 pounds. I think that’s kind of the threshold for a “lightweight” car. Sub-3,000 is where it’s at.

My car weighed 3,683 without me in it and a full tank of gas, fully stock. Could we shave 700 pounds from this platform?

Nick
yes weight is the enemy. In time i will start to tear down unnecessary components for strictly track purpose if i no longer want to keep the car registered. I'll continue to chip away. I continue to look at this car for inspiration in the platform to one day reach my goal which is to get to the point where the vehicle will be good enough to join global time attack events. The current power rating of the later 1uz vvti makes 290hp-300hp out the box but i think without a limited slip differential the car isn't as aggressive as i want it to be right now in terms of hard exit accelerations. I'd love to consider a manual conversion in the future which will probably be one of the biggest improvements. For now I'll continue to make small improvements and share the process.

Autobahn Carbon
The following 2 users liked this post by bboyjohn04:
Barbary (03-15-22), stheodore (12-04-22)
Old 03-13-22, 11:22 AM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

yes weight is the enemy. In time i will start to tear down unnecessary components for strictly track purpose if i no longer want to keep the car registered. I'll continue to chip away. I continue to look at this car for inspiration in the platform to one day reach my goal which is to get to the point where the vehicle will be good enough to join global time attack events. The current power rating of the later 1uz vvti makes 290hp-300hp out the box but i think without a limited slip differential the car isn't as aggressive as i want it to be right now in terms of hard exit accelerations. I'd love to consider a manual conversion in the future which will probably be one of the biggest improvements. For now I'll continue to make small improvements and share the process.
Autobahn Carbon
I have my 92 300 down to 2930 full of fuel but my buddy is at 2800 in his 300. I have a really heavy cage in mine with nascar style bars on both sides as well as .120x 1.75 cage material so the cage is approximately 150 pounds. The first 500 is easy pickings, but from there takes a lot of work for small gains.
bboyjohn04 (03-13-22)
Old 03-13-22, 02:17 PM
bboyjohn04
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by RXRodger
I have my 92 300 down to 2930 full of fuel but my buddy is at 2800 in his 300. I have a really heavy cage in mine with nascar style bars on both sides as well as .120x 1.75 cage material so the cage is approximately 150 pounds. The first 500 is easy pickings, but from there takes a lot of work for small gains.
thank you for sharing! This gives me some things to look forward to as i go.
Old 03-14-22, 12:21 AM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

thank you for sharing! This gives me some things to look forward to as i go.
Also reading thru your thread I see you have said you are using EBC yellows on the front. There are much better track pads out there than those. When you get ready to change give me a shout.

Nice thread, thanks for the pics and details. You have done a great job on the car. Look forward to more details as you make further improvements.
The following 2 users liked this post by RXRodger:
bboyjohn04 (03-14-22), perfctreig (03-16-22)
Old 03-16-22, 12:37 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,207 Likes on 836 Posts

Absolutely love seeing you get out and enjoy this thing on track. Nothing like seeing a big girl out there doin her thang
bboyjohn04 (03-16-22)
Old 03-16-22, 10:16 PM
bboyjohn04
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by RudysSC
Absolutely love seeing you get out and enjoy this thing on track. Nothing like seeing a big girl out there doin her thang
yes i love it! Especially since it stands out compared to the common cars on the track. I get so many people asking about it when im in the pit!
Old 03-16-22, 10:47 PM
bboyjohn04
Pit Crew

Next mod, deleting the sunroof/motor and headliner assembly. From what I've read from another build thread via (RxRodger, Thank you for the detailed thread) seems like the weight can be 33.4bs can be shaved from the top which can be some benefits to make the car somewhat more lower center of gravity to improve balance. Not huge margin but as mentioned before, i would like to continue to chip away on the weight. Also considering a manual quick ratio steering rack replacement from grannas racing (27lbs) can be shaved on front end. Anyways, goodies from LRB speed, im sure i could have made my own but these came with stickers plus supporting small businesses.

LRB speed sunroof delete cover

Borrowed pics from their site. Will go with the 14:1 as opposed to 20:1 for steering ratio since this isn't a drag car.

$1250.00 for the setup.. to spend or not to spend? 😅
Barbary (03-16-22)

Quick Reply: TIme attack sc400