Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

TIme attack sc400

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-22, 06:07 AM
CLass of 1
Advanced

Received 295 Likes on 190 Posts

$1250 seems like a lot to save that much weight and make steering effort more difficult. I would personally target almost anything else before that. Have you gutted the interior completely? I’d even do CF trunk before this, but that’s just my two cents.

Nick
Old 03-17-22, 06:44 AM
emLEX
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can modify the stock power steering rack and convert it to manual for next to free and you'll still benefit from a small weight reduction when you delete the pump, reservoir, hoses...

Modifying the rack requires taking it apart and removing some seals. I don't remember all of the details, but I'm sure you could search and find the DIY.
The following users liked this post:
CLass of 1 (03-17-22)
Old 03-17-22, 08:10 AM
bboyjohn04
Pit Crew

Received 110 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by CLass of 1
$1250 seems like a lot to save that much weight and make steering effort more difficult. I would personally target almost anything else before that. Have you gutted the interior completely? I’d even do CF trunk before this, but that’s just my two cents.

Nick
well it's on the list either way. Spoke to some friends and they strong suggested a 1.5 way limited slip differential to help with exit speed since they noticed inner wheel spin coming out on some of the real tight turns. For now the manial rack may be on hold. Carbon trunk is on the list for future mod. Still has full interior but they will start to come out eventually.
Old 03-17-22, 08:16 AM
bboyjohn04
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by emLEX
You can modify the stock power steering rack and convert it to manual for next to free and you'll still benefit from a small weight reduction when you delete the pump, reservoir, hoses...

Modifying the rack requires taking it apart and removing some seals. I don't remember all of the details, but I'm sure you could search and find the DIY.
I'm aware of the mod but there are mixed feelings about it. Reason im willing to drop money for the grannas steering rack is because of the convenience of plug and play. Price point it is on the high side but initially the steering output will be greatly improved with minimal input with their 14:1 option.
Old 03-17-22, 09:00 AM
emLEX
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bboyjohn04
I'm aware of the mod but there are mixed feelings about it. Reason im willing to drop money for the grannas steering rack is because of the convenience of plug and play. Price point it is on the high side but initially the steering output will be greatly improved with minimal input with their 14:1 option.
I hear ya. Just saying you could try the mod first, and if that doesn't do it for you, then spend the extra cash for the Grannas part. There are also steering quickners that install in line with your steering shaft, and they cost under $200.
Old 03-18-22, 05:14 AM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

I would suggest not eliminating power steering. And for sure don’t convert the existing rack. The effort to steer the car with a converted rack for track driving is high. I have tried that and ended up putting it back on. There is something like 8 or 9 pounds savings and maybe 1-1/2 hp but just not worth it to me. But since you have ordered the conversion it will be interesting to see how it works for you.
bboyjohn04 (03-18-22)
Old 03-28-22, 01:17 AM
bboyjohn04
Pit Crew

Today I found time to get the sunroof delete mod Done after attending a Greet and Meet hosted by buddy of mine who got me into tracking aka @superdriveofficial feel free to give him a follow on Instagram as you'll see my car getting mentioned from time to time.

Who can tell me what that compact car is on the right? I already know but someone take a swing at it.. also to the left is a good friend of mine who got me hooked on track days and founder of @superdriveofficial

Notice the 240sx far right with spare wheel rack?

Just some boring grip people with a C7 grandsport Corvette, Luxury sports coupe, (sc400) and a Lancer 👀

This bunny rocket FD Rocks!

LS1 350z, apologies for lack of engine bay shots

1jzgte vvti swap 240sx, unfortunately i was unable to get a picture of the engine bay..😤

A Type R has entered the chatroom:
Old 03-28-22, 01:27 AM
bboyjohn04
Pit Crew

Back to Business, the Mod after the meet...

Another Track buddy of mine lending a hand, I promise this isn't FakeTaxi

Some of the clips broke due to age of the car but I don't plan on putting the interior back in. In fact, more will continue to come out as time goes

Guess the weight

As mentioned prior via Rxrodger, around 34lbs just the sunroof assembly.

That's squared using the eyeball method

Some weights to keep the sheet from sliding around while drilling and mocking up

Rivets and Sealant added

Now, to leave it bare or hit it with black paint or bedliner (used on my front splitter)

Garage is still a clutter but that's for a later episode...
Barbary (03-28-22)
Old 03-28-22, 09:35 AM
CLass of 1
Advanced

I know that car! I just can’t remember…darn it. Cool little car huh??

Nick
bboyjohn04 (03-30-22)
Old 03-29-22, 07:10 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Carbon fiber wrap on the sunroof delete panel, my vote.
The following 2 users liked this post by RXRodger:
bboyjohn04 (03-30-22), stheodore (06-17-24)
Old 03-30-22, 06:17 AM
CLass of 1
Advanced

Originally Posted by RXRodger
Carbon fiber wrap on the sunroof delete panel, my vote.
Agreed. If you want it to stand out a little more, you can go for Carbon Kevlar instead. But the aluminum has got to go!

Nick
Old 04-10-22, 11:29 PM
bboyjohn04
Pit Crew

Another track day at Thunderhill West. Trying to see if i can achieve a faster lap time than 1:29, I was consistently getting 1:30. I got lucky last time chasing my buddy's A90 supra that provided the slip stream to help the sc a bit during that chase. This time I was chasing myself but atleast it was consistent.
I'm at the limit due to open diff so I tore apart the spare 3.92 i had laying around and sent that out to tractionconcepts to see what they can do for me. Now before I get dragged for this, the 3.26 in the vehicle right now will be getting an OS Giken 1.5way setup. I'm aware that the tractionconcepts setup is like phantom grip and they cause spider gear wear but for the price, Im willing to give them a shot. The work to be done was quoted $340.00 plus ship and they stated it should only be a maximum of 2% wear on spider gear.
Anywho, here are some footages of recent track day and following mods and a Code-Brown moment when i went off carrying too much speed onto turn 6. Damage was rear bumper graze by tire barrier opposed to potential front end collision into the control tower but i had to make a decision quick during the heat of the moment.

Old 04-10-22, 11:48 PM
bboyjohn04
Pit Crew

Before the oopsies

You can still see the snow in the mountains back there.

Code-Brown moment

Maybe slap on a Ryu or Ken from streetfighter sticker shooting a hadouken as a track battle scar

Grass fed
Old 04-10-22, 11:54 PM
bboyjohn04
Pit Crew

More track photo dump

The following 2 users liked this post by bboyjohn04:
DaveGS4 (06-10-22), stheodore (12-04-22)
Old 04-11-22, 12:02 AM
bboyjohn04
Pit Crew

Next episode
tearing the spare 3.92 diff open

General idea of setup

What it will look like when done

Gear oil drained

Pre marking the ring gear and carrier before separating just for peace of mind

Stub shaft measuring

Diameter

Opened

Split, carrier is packed and shipped to Tractionconcepts in florida for work to be done. Once this comes back to me, I'll switch out the 3.26 from the car and slap this one in and prep the 3.26 for an OS Giken 1.5 way

Quick Reply: TIme attack sc400