Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

92 300 5spd Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-22 | 12:58 AM
KahnBB6

LeX2K, I'm glad you chimed in here to comment on the turn signal relay and suggest your Generation 5 Camry flasher relay conversion DIY as an alternative.

TXZ0603, that is definitely not normal behavior for these turn signal relays. Do keep yours no matter what as its design is totally unique to these cars. We may be able to diagnose its issue further.

As to the soft brakes, after you've drained, replaced and bled the brake fluid with new DOT3... barring an issue with the brake lines themselves or with a worn or leaking brake booster or leaking brake master cylinder I do find the stock brakes on 1992-1997 SC300's underwhelming at best. If you were to switch over to Goodridge or another brand's stainless steel braided lines and a set of 1995-2000 LS400 front calipers and rotors (or better upgrade calipers and rotors) you will notice a night and day difference overall in braking confidence. This would however require getting a set of 17" diameter wheels mounted (or 18" rims if you so prefer).
Old 04-24-22 | 03:39 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by Soarer59
I don't care how "cocky" the guy is, no one fixes automotive electronics like Relentless Motorsports TX does. It's worth the extra money to use his service. You young folks think "I don't have this kind if money to spend, I go with the cheapest place." What you don't understand, and I don't want to sound cliché, is, you get what you pay for..

I used a "cheaper" place on my ecu, got it back in record time, put it back in my car, and it was great, until about 3 weeks later. Car was shifting hard, and it kept cutting out. I called the place up and told them my problem. They replied with "That's not an ecu issue, I'm sorry. " No, I'm sorry, send it back and we can go over it again, no nothing.

I had seen some YouTube videos from Relentless Motorsports so I decided to contact them (him). Josh spent like 30 minutes on the phone with me going over my issue. I decided to take a chance and send it to him. After a week I got it back, hooked it up and my car ran better than I ever imagined it to!

This was 3 years ago and car is still running great. I give Relentless Motorsports TX 5 stars.⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ His work is like no other.
@Soarer59 Well they clearly aren’t standing behind their work in this case or supporting their paying customer. They’ve written him off.

Outside of their failed repair, I’ve seen some pretty bad stuff from “Relentless Motorsports TX” and I’ll tell you they’re a really unethical lot. They pretend to be buyers/members on forums and post supporting messages defending their crap work. They repeatedly act like they are happy customers when they are the business owner and go around promoting their business. To top it off, I’ve seen the owner make anti-Semitic comments.

NOT recommend.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 04-24-22 at 03:46 AM.
Old 04-24-22 | 03:47 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

@KahnBB6 send the relay I made to @TXZ0603 you're never going to use it.

The following users liked this post:
KahnBB6 (04-24-22)
Old 04-24-22 | 08:06 PM
scsexy
Advanced

Originally Posted by TXZ0603
you got me beat. I sent it back to relentless and he said it works fine in his car. I don’t have the money to keep paying for shipping both ways so I guess im living with it.
probably ur bulbs resistance?
Old 04-24-22 | 10:49 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by LeX2K
@KahnBB6 send the relay I made to @TXZ0603 you're never going to use it.
This is a great idea! Though I may in fact use it in the future so I do want to keep the one you sent me, lol! HOWEVER!!! I'm perfectly willing to copy that one you gave me with identical parts and build him one exactly like it to send over! As I recall, it is LED and conventional bulb capable, correct?

I think a look inside of the casing of his 92-94 relay would be a good idea at this point just to see if the choice in capacitors might be causing his issue. I can compare it to the OEM original caps in my 1993 SC300's relay for reference although I think we already know the exact values and brand type to order from Mouser or Digi-Key if it's that simple of a change that is needed.

When you were reverse engineering and examining the OEM relay I think you had noted that the 555 timer chip, simple large transistors and conventional resistors were fairly easy to source and replace as needed. As I recall it was the very tiny resistors and transistors on the back of the little circuit board that are ultimately the hardest to diagnose and replace components (requiring a common micro-electronics microscope, flux and soldering those back with a heat gun setup to deal with). Of all the components that we looked at in that thread it's only proprietary Denso chips (apart from the 555 timer chip) that just aren't possible to source brand new.

I do agree that your alternative DIY converted Camry signal flasher relay is an excellent option for him. I'm just thinking that a look inside the relay casing to figure out if there is anything obvious that needs to be replaced in there can help him get it working back to 100% again.

Originally Posted by scsexy
probably ur bulbs resistance?
Unless the OP is using LED bulbs rather than conventional incandescent OE replacement type bulbs then no, that wouldn't be the case. The SC's stock bulb failure warning ECU would also have been triggered to turn the dash light on if anything but conventional turn signal bulbs were installed into the circuit. It does not sound like the previous owner disabled that bulb failure warning circuit or had his original turn signal relay modified in any way before selling the car to the OP.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 04-24-22 at 10:55 PM.
Old 05-03-22 | 03:44 AM
TXZ0603
Driver

That would be great if you could build one. I would gladly pay for you time and materials but I am tapped atm. Spent my budget for the next few months. I do appreciate the thought though.

have done nothing new lately. Drive it around the neighborhood the other day. Brakes still feel softer than what I’m used to however it will stop in a panic situation.
Old 07-22-22 | 12:26 PM
Turbostar
Pit Crew

Just found this thread in an old reply to my own build thread that I missed some months ago. Super clean car, man! I love it! I'm in Houston - would love to see this thing in person sometime.
TXZ0603 (07-22-22)
Old 07-22-22 | 05:45 PM
TXZ0603
Driver

No updates for a bit. Life catches up sometimes. Haven’t done anything for a while. Need to charge the battery then put new clutch in and get it ready for storage. Once my buddy gets insured and plates he can have it back. Although he’s not aware of that yet. Lol
RudysSC (07-25-22)
Old 07-23-22 | 10:24 AM
Turbostar
Pit Crew

Man, you are a good friend!
Old 11-10-22 | 06:32 AM
TXZ0603
Driver

Well haven’t been in here in a min. My buddy is unable to keep the car so I will be selling it for him soon. Currently it’s just costing me storage while he tries to find his title. Never did get the brakes sorted. They slowly bind while driving. Not sure if the abs just needs to be bypassed or use the tool that purges it. If someone lives in Houston and wants a project, hit me up. Thanks for all that have helped. This forum and y’all have been huge in getting this up and running.
Old 07-08-23 | 11:29 AM
TXZ0603
Driver

Cars back at my house. I’m certain the brake problem is the abs unit. Time to sell the car. Have a blue title for it.
Old 07-10-23 | 05:34 AM
Turbostar
Pit Crew

I wish I had the money to pick this up. Good luck with the sale!
Old 12-21-23 | 10:13 AM
TXZ0603
Driver

Car is for sale. Asking 1100. Has blue title in hand.