Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

The Blue Unicorn: RSP Rescue

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-23, 04:46 PM
KingSkii
Driver School Candidate

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Im honestly really surprised they still have OEM ones, mines all pitted and scratched and I'm nervous they won't have any replacement in my area if anything every happens to mine. the restoration is coming along amazingly. She looks fit as a fiddle and that blue love it!
Old 03-03-23, 08:30 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 508 Likes on 301 Posts

The car is coming along nice, One thing that caught my eye enough to bring it up. (little detail). You have the gold Lexus badges I know there is a prestige factor to them. On a bluish, or whatever you want to call the color like ours, you may not even have noticed it, silver badges have more symmetry w the color.
Just something else to think about
Old 03-09-23, 12:58 PM
CLass of 1
Advanced

Received 295 Likes on 190 Posts

Congrats on finding one of the rarest, most desirable SC’s! I could barely believe my luck when I found mine! I, like you, didn’t fully appreciate its beauty until I got the car home. After I did the paint correction I was just gobsmacked at its beauty. Get used to people shouting at you as you drive down the street and stopping to give you thumbs up in traffic.

Since you’re into the Supra registry, I wonder if we could get something similar going here? It’d be kind of cool to know if your car is number 5 of 53 produced or 52nd, ya know? Just an idle thought.

Again, welcome and have fun!

Nick
Old 03-11-23, 03:47 PM
pockrosj
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CLass of 1
Congrats on finding one of the rarest, most desirable SC’s! I could barely believe my luck when I found mine! I, like you, didn’t fully appreciate its beauty until I got the car home. After I did the paint correction I was just gobsmacked at its beauty. Get used to people shouting at you as you drive down the street and stopping to give you thumbs up in traffic.

Since you’re into the Supra registry, I wonder if we could get something similar going here? It’d be kind of cool to know if your car is number 5 of 53 produced or 52nd, ya know? Just an idle thought.

Again, welcome and have fun!

Nick
I’ve been collaborating with the owner of the site about it and he does want to add SC’s to the site in the future. Toyota most likely has the information but keep in mind that every vin number with its information has to be entered by hand. Since the site does not generate a lot of revenue it’s on his dollar to get it done. I believe he paid people he knew well to help him enter the data in the past, so it can be done again. All of the MKV Zupras have recently been added to the site so it is making progress.
Old 03-11-23, 07:31 PM
CLass of 1
Advanced

Received 295 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by pockrosj
I’ve been collaborating with the owner of the site about it and he does want to add SC’s to the site in the future. Toyota most likely has the information but keep in mind that every vin number with its information has to be entered by hand. Since the site does not generate a lot of revenue it’s on his dollar to get it done. I believe he paid people he knew well to help him enter the data in the past, so it can be done again. All of the MKV Zupras have recently been added to the site so it is making progress.
Very cool. Would love to see it come to pass! I worked on a type of registry back on the RX7 forums, basically a submission form that the members sent in describing some basic criteria and the price they paid for their cars. It was a pricing database to try to more accurately value FD’s. Having said that, it would be super cool to have some kind of idea how rare these cars really are. Like ours, one of 53, but perhaps there’s only 45 left? Makes it more rare and more valuable.

Nick
Old 03-11-23, 10:42 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 508 Likes on 301 Posts

Yeah, I would like to know how rare my car is___an SC 400 factory hard top
that would be interesting to know if they have that info

Last edited by Barbary; 03-11-23 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-21-23, 01:37 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Very cool to see an RSP SC, glad you snagged it! What a deal too, I would've paid that for just the shell! I also have an MKIV Supra, the SC got me in the 2JZ game years ago but have been a member on SF since my first love of Supras back in high school.
Old 11-05-23, 07:51 AM
pockrosj
Rookie

Update:

Reconditioning:

My friend helped me (did it for me) prep the roof and trunk for paintwork. He was a certified BMW Auto body Technician and did a factory job prepping these areas. I tried to help him where I could but he knew what he was doing so this is mostly his work. Nothing but factory layers of RSP:

When we were working on the decklid we found out that the Spoiler was aftermarket and drilled into the trunk very poorly in the wrong location. I called Lexus afterwards with my Vin number and figured out that this is a Wingless car and was never ordered with a spoiler, let alone aftermarket. I have to say that I think it looks better with the wing but I decided to weld up the hacked drill-holes and make the car the way it was ordered from new:

I don’t know how to weld, but I did the best job I could. Had a few imperfections with thin areas I couldn’t seal all the way, so I had the bondo and paintwork done by professionals at the Dealership:

The Roof, Trunk, and Bumper were completely repainted. The side Quarter Panels were Blended and Re-clear coated (not fully repainted). It turned out well:

Rear brake rotors were at 13.5mm. Minimum spec in the manual is supposed to be 15mm. Brake pads were almost metal to metal. Needless to say it needed rear brakes. I went with Bendix brake rotors and Brakebest Pads because they look closest to the factory parts for half the cost:

The Front brakes had a lot of life left, but they were grinding and noisy so instead of re-machining/sanding pads I decided to replace them with matching Bendix rotors/Brakebest pads in the Front:

Brake fluid looked like a thick yellow color so I flushed it out with 4 cans of Toyota dot3 fluid:

Changed out what I believed to be 280k mile Rear Diff fluid. The plugs were on there so hard I had to use my impact to prevent anything from stripping. Fluid was pure black:

Took me a year to find Upper and Lower Front Control Arms that had good bushings & ball joints in them. The power of Facebook Marketplace. The old ones were shot so for $300 these were an improvement:

Wanted to stream my Phone music to the car so I came up with this non-invasive 12v outlet with Bluetooth transmitter that’s completely hidden when closed:

Found more Gold Badges to put on the newly painted trunk:

How the car sits right now:

Current check mark list:

✓ Steam clean interior.

✓ Valve cover gaskets, full Tune-up.

✓ Oil change, filters, inspect.

✓ Full Paint Correction.

✓ Windshield

✓ Trans leak

✓ Key tumbler trim

✓ Hood struts

✓ Trunk struts

✓ Rear RH side seat buckle plastic

✓ Roof/decklid Paint Work

✓ Front Brakes

✓ Rear Brakes

✓ Flush Brake Fluid

✓ Flush Rear Diff Fluid

✓ Front Lower Control arms

✓ Front Upper Control arms

Front Tires / Alignment

Replace Headlights

Replace Drivers Seat

Replace Center Armrest

Replace Window Track

Ignore Engine Leaks for now

Misc small details/fixes

Last edited by pockrosj; 11-06-23 at 10:32 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by pockrosj:
Bimmerbill (11-06-23), KahnBB6 (11-05-23), ThomasGS4 (11-06-23)
Old 11-05-23, 09:39 PM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Received 1,251 Likes on 871 Posts

Beautiful paint restoration work!!! If I may ask, what was the total cost ballpark to you to get just the exterior redone? And you said you had a Lexus or Toyota dealership body/collision shop do the painting for you?
Old 11-05-23, 11:29 PM
pockrosj
Rookie

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Beautiful paint restoration work!!! If I may ask, what was the total cost ballpark to you to get just the exterior redone? And you said you had a Lexus or Toyota dealership body/collision shop do the painting for you?
The Subaru dealership I currently work for did the work. They hooked me up. $1000. They would have charged 3 times that amount for a customer….
The following users liked this post:
KahnBB6 (11-06-23)
Old 11-06-23, 05:36 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Received 327 Likes on 253 Posts

You did well, VERY WELL.
Bill
Old 11-06-23, 07:11 AM
pockrosj
Rookie

I’ve spent $3500 up to this point. With purchase price I’m all in at a little under 9 grand. It still needs 4 tires and headlights. I have to see if it can pass smog as well. I don’t think it’s worth more than 8 but I really wanted to save it.
Old 11-06-23, 07:19 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 387 Likes on 228 Posts

Great progress here! We need to find you some '97+ SC wheels, those '92-94 wheels seem to date the car a bit.
The following users liked this post:
Bimmerbill (11-06-23)
Old 11-06-23, 12:27 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,207 Likes on 836 Posts

Man this thing is looking awesome - excellent work and beautiful car!
Old 11-06-23, 04:00 PM
pockrosj
Rookie

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Great progress here! We need to find you some '97+ SC wheels, those '92-94 wheels seem to date the car a bit.
I did not know the wheels were not original to the car? 97 did not come with them? It’s a Gold Badge car and the caps on the wheels have a gold emblem. If they didn’t come with the car maybe I should do is250 wheels.

Last edited by pockrosj; 11-06-23 at 10:11 PM.

Quick Reply: The Blue Unicorn: RSP Rescue