Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

The Blue Unicorn: RSP Rescue

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-22, 12:17 AM
pockrosj
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Default The Blue Unicorn: RSP Rescue

I’ve been in the Supra world for over 7 years now having owned my stock 94 6spd since 2015 and have a thing for rare Toyota’s. I was just driving around in my normal car the other day like any other Saturday when I was instantly drawn to the stoplight on my left. Out of no where was a bone stock 1 of 53 RSP SC300 about to turn into the next street. After the light turned green and it left I quickly turned around and had to predict where it was going. Luckily it was near where I live and I know the area well so after a brief 2 minute chase I finally found it parked in front of a donut shop. Stood around for a few minutes until the owner comes back out to the car and I instantly show my interest. I take his contact info and apologize for asking to buy a car he’s not even trying to sell. About a month later texting back and forth I convince him to sell it to me. The car will take some work to shine again. The roof and trunk have peeling clear coat and the valve cover is leaking all the way down to the point where I’ll have to repair it first so I can clean under the car to check for additional leaks. I am currently a Technician at Subaru so I will be going through the vehicle myself repairing everything that’s reasonable to dive into for the mileage. Oh yeah…. 277,500+ miles. I paid $5300. You be the judge.

Interior shots will come soon when I start making progress on it.

Refresh plans:
  • Clean interior
  • Valve cover gaskets, intake manifold gasket, spark plugs.
  • Oil change, filters, inspect undercarriage (no I have not done that yet).
  • Full paint correction.
  • Repaint the roof and trunk (most likely a blend for both cost and maintaining as much of the original paint as I can.
  • Repaint window frames.
  • Replace or Re-clear the Headlights/fogs
  • Replace window track.
  • Replace driver’s seat.
  • Replace misc interior parts.
  • Replace front windshield.
  • Find out why I’m investing all this time on this car.

Last edited by pockrosj; 11-24-23 at 10:11 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by pockrosj:
DaveGS4 (08-23-22), joewitafro (08-22-22), KahnBB6 (08-22-22), Kira X (05-29-23), SJM (01-20-23), ThomasGS4 (02-27-23) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-22-22, 01:06 AM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 507 Likes on 301 Posts

Welcome to the "Blue Club"
Old 08-22-22, 08:57 AM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 273 Likes on 194 Posts

Great deal!! Hope you revive her!
Old 08-22-22, 09:23 AM
Matt L
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Beautiful RSP SC300! You got a heck of a deal on it.
The following users liked this post:
SJM (01-20-23)
Old 08-22-22, 12:20 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,206 Likes on 835 Posts

Absolutely beautiful! I have a feeling you might just fall in love with that thing...
Old 08-22-22, 07:01 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,250 Likes on 870 Posts

Wow! Super rare find-- congratulations on your luck and perseverance! I think you'll grow to love that SC alongside your '94 Supra TT 6-speed!

And by the way, thank you for all your work helping create The Supra Registry!
Barbary (08-22-22)
Old 08-23-22, 01:21 PM
pockrosj
Rookie

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Wow! Super rare find-- congratulations on your luck and perseverance! I think you'll grow to love that SC alongside your '94 Supra TT 6-speed!

And by the way, thank you for all your work helping create The Supra Registry!
I’m not the creator of the registry but I periodically help update with pictures and vins. I already see why people go crazy over the color now that I see it in person. Believe me though, this car needs a lot of labor and work the way it currently sits. The valve cover leak is so bad the exhaust manifold smokes when I drive the car. Interior makes a lot of noise when driving to the point that it’s distracting although I have already pinpointed the parts that are causing it. It will be all addressed properly in due time though and I will be posting all of the fixes in this thread.

Last edited by pockrosj; 11-24-23 at 10:13 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by pockrosj:
KahnBB6 (08-23-22), SJM (01-20-23)
Old 08-23-22, 03:42 PM
Barbary
Instructor

You get the Ballentine 3 Ring sign w your 3 cars
Old 08-23-22, 05:26 PM
Rcreegan
Intermediate

Received 130 Likes on 92 Posts

Awesome ! Congrats bud!
Old 02-26-23, 01:23 PM
pockrosj
Rookie

Update:

Making Progress:

Replaced valve cover gaskets & full tune up using oem Toyota Parts. Took some time to get this done due to needing to find more parts than previously expected. So many heat cycles in this engine bay that many plastic pieces fell apart when simply being moved. Had to source a new heater control valve from another 97 in a yard and find some other misc plastic pieces, make a few more orders from my local Lexus dealer, etc. Anyway, engine doesn’t pour oil onto the exhaust anymore AND the engine bay is clean. Well, still has some other oil leaks just not as bad for now:

15hrs+ into the interior and it’s all cleaned up. Used a full bottle of interior degreaser and a horse hair brush cleaning most of the crooks and crannies in this thing followed by semi-gloss shine. My new yellow rags literally turned black. I removed the seats and found cigarettes, jolly ranchers, quarters, and mystery brown stains. Luckily the car does not smell like smoke. Drill-brushed the carpet followed by an interior hot water extractor. Smells a lot fresher now and is more attractive to step inside of:

Dash panels before & after:

Also put it up in the air at the dealership I work at and did an inspection. Has KYB shocks in good shape and other suspension components that I can tell have been serviced in the past. It will need 4 new control arms in the front and rear wheel bearings have slight play but nothing major. Needs rear brakes. Everything else in the suspension is surprisingly fine:

Full paint correction. Been using this person for years and easily turns turds into diamonds for a very reasonable price. At first he wouldn’t do it because of how rough it was but I didn’t let him leave lol. He ended up spending nearly a day making it look spectacular:

Replaced Hood + Trunk struts and added show-off license plate frame:

Next up I had to replace the pitted and cracked windshield. A new OEM Toyota windshield was installed and it’s much easier to see out of:

Current picture with bad lighting:

Up next will be body work on the roof and deck lid. Current check mark list:
  • ✓ Steam clean interior.
  • ✓ Valve cover gaskets, intake manifold gasket, spark plugs/wires.
  • ✓ Oil change, filters, inspect undercarriage.
  • ✓ Full Paint Correction.
  • ✓ Windshield
  • ✓ Trans leak
  • ✓ Key tumbler trim
  • ✓ Hood struts
  • ✓ Trunk struts
  • ✓ Rear RH side seat buckle plastic
  • Rear Brakes
  • Replace Headlights
  • Roof/decklid Paint Work
  • Replace Drivers Seat
  • Replace Center Armrest
  • Replace Window Track
  • Front Lower Control arms
  • Front Upper Control arms
  • Paint window frames
  • Ignore Engine Leaks for now
  • Misc small details/fixes

Last edited by pockrosj; 07-04-23 at 11:40 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by pockrosj:
Barbary (02-26-23), bron_karr (11-06-23), KahnBB6 (02-26-23)
Old 02-26-23, 07:13 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Default new windshield

Hi, nice windshield...Nice car, great find!
I'm in the process of getting a new windshield for my 92 400, known here as The Purple Bullet and so far getting NLA's. Could you help w more info on how you got yours, like part numbers and stuff.

That is really nice glass . Price would also be nice to know if you cared. I live up in the southwest mountains and isn't even a Lexus dealer but one Toyota store. What's my chances of scoring one from Toyota, like you did
The car was a NorCal SC for the 1st 25 yrs of its life
Thanks, Barbary

Old 02-26-23, 10:24 PM
pockrosj
Rookie

Originally Posted by Barbary
Hi, nice windshield...Nice car, great find!
I'm in the process of getting a new windshield for my 92 400, known here as The Purple Bullet and so far getting NLA's. Could you help w more info on how you got yours, like part numbers and stuff.

That is really nice glass . Price would also be nice to know if you cared. I live up in the southwest mountains and isn't even a Lexus dealer but one Toyota store. What's my chances of scoring one from Toyota, like you did
The car was a NorCal SC for the 1st 25 yrs of its life
Thanks, Barbary
I got lucky. I used my insurance company to replace the glass with a $100 deductible. I was almost certain it was going to be aftermarket but when the glass guy pulled up he had ordered a genuine Toyota replacement that matched the original on the car. One thing they asked me over the phone was if I had the “Green tint” across the top or if my glass had “Bronze tint”. Since it’s a 97 it uses green tint so I guess that style is still
available through Toyota. It’s possible that the older years use a different style, maybe the “Bronze tint”? I have no idea.
Old 02-26-23, 11:54 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,250 Likes on 870 Posts

There was a difference in the windshield upper tint, yes. It won't matter which one you install on the car as to fitment though. I would have answered their question with "Yes!" I would happily install the green tint OEM windshield on my 1993 model.

Also JDM Soarers had some further factory tinted body glass options that the USDM and Canadian SC300/400's did not get.

Looking very good so far!!
Kira X (05-29-23)
Old 02-27-23, 09:01 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,206 Likes on 835 Posts

Looking VERY good. What a fun project on a beautiful color combo. Glad to see you enjoying this car and giving it new life!
Old 02-27-23, 11:47 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 387 Likes on 228 Posts

I don't know how I missed this thread, but wow - great progress!

Quick Reply: The Blue Unicorn: RSP Rescue