Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

My 1998 Lexus SC300

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-22, 07:38 PM
Justinkase
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 1998 Lexus SC300

This is an ongoing build, for many more years to come. I will try my best to put this in chronological order from the start around 3 years ago with some of the first mods. Justin's 1998 SC
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

(this is refreshing feed) start of 23: The engine is pulled out still, about to take the lower and upper pans off to get a look at the last possible bad problem, the rods and bearings, rings ofc. but yeah, surprisingly the valvetrain looked great, cyl. bore has crosshatching still. Some questions I have for ya'll is 1. I'm thinking about getting BC 272 cams, any thoughts. I wanted to pair it along with injectors, possibly a fuel rail, and the fuel pump to actually power it. I just want to know any thoughts on the cams, and what I can look into for the other parts. 2. I've done everything myself so far, and I was thinking about taking it all the way and trying to learn to tune myself. How hard is it really? I saw a little bit in some videos, and it started looking more simplistic than I always get told by peers, then again, these peers take theirs in for a spark change. 3. So, since I'm getting some cams, I know the stock spring are somewhat said to be ok with running with 272's at least, but since I want to actually apply the power with fuel and tune, I would think I would need a bit more spring pressure, any thoughts? 4. Keep 10:1?

At the moment- my house caught on fire, mid 2j build, the block, along with every other accesory, including the transmission we lost under rubble under the house. Anything aluminum found has been melted including the intake and head. The bare block was still connect to the engine stand, the stand melted but the block looked like it, crazy to say, might just be straight, and salvageable. I will include pictures of the 2jz block, sticking out of the rubble as I found it under ash and tin roofing. Pics in a few days as I did not take time to take pictures while going through remnants of everything I owned burned up.
If I decide to carry on with this build, I may now just end this thread here, and start a fresh new build thread named maybe on the lines of "Firehouse SC".

Image was too big so i screenshotted to make smaller

after rubble was collected, all is lost from the engine bay as i pulled motor and trans out and pulled them to my backporch, where I disassembled the motor, and found that the 6th rod had a spun bearing. Minimal damage too the crank, and was not sure if the crank was usable, now since it's under 6 ft of tin roofing and black burned 2x4s i went under the assumption it was no good. So my 2 options now are, having a heart, saving the 2j out of rubble and seeing if I might just be able to build from block and getting a man. Trans, which ive always wanted, or just buying a crate motor and trans, which if I wanted manual, we all know it's still gonna cost $$$. I feel the latter would be more fun, bc after saving that motor, I would probably never put a mile on her again without shedding atleast somewhat a tear.
The biggest singular loss was not infact any motor, or big tv, or any junk of the sorts.. it was bandit and Smokey.

Bandit, also from this photo, the engine had not moved till the fire occured. So where the motor is in the rubble pics, is where it landed from falling through the floor.

We had him since he was a bb.

Last edited by Justinkase; 02-28-23 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-13-22, 08:04 PM
Rcreegan
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 89 Posts

272 cams need springs and retainers. Also not recommended for a N/A stock car. Tuning wise, you could always use a piggy back system which shouldn’t be that hard to figure out. But all you’re really doing is tricking the ecu. All these ecus go bad over time with leaky caps , so might be a good time for a standalone or a ecu rebuild.
The following users liked this post:
Justinkase (02-16-23)
Old 02-17-23, 02:05 PM
Justinkase
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rcreegan
272 cams need springs and retainers. Also not recommended for a N/A stock car. Tuning wise, you could always use a piggy back system which shouldn’t be that hard to figure out. But all you’re really doing is tricking the ecu. All these ecus go bad over time with leaky caps , so might be a good time for a standalone or a ecu rebuild.
yes, I am definitely planning on some spring and retainers. Good to note about the ecus going bad, cause I was flipping on going just a piggy, over a standalone, but after hearing that a standalone is looking more likely. Due to unforseen circumstances, will be done in the very distant future anyways.
Old 02-20-23, 11:38 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

Oh, my, god... I can't believe this! Glad to hear that you and your family are safe. What a mess - best wishes in getting everything straightened out moving forward.
Old 02-20-23, 08:17 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 504 Likes on 300 Posts

So sorry, thats tough ___ Best Wishes