Air sound from console

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-23, 11:41 AM
GCooper
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air sound from console

I recently purchased a 2008 GS 350 AWD.
When I test drove the car I noticed wind sound entering the car from what sounded like the dashboard area.
After looking at the firewall and under the car I have found nothing loose nor missing.
I have noticed that crossing metal in concrete expansion joints on the freeway I can hear that clicking very well and also when driving over crunchy snow/ ice with the right front tire the noise is very clear.
I have removed the console cover and driven the car and the noise is louder.
Does anyone know what may be loose or missing that would allow this sound to enter the vehicle?
The following users liked this post:
NormzGS350 (02-06-23)
Old 02-06-23, 12:58 AM
NormzGS350
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Same!!!

Hi,

I thought I was the only one who noticed this on my car(2008 GS350 RWD). It’s literally so annoying and I hear it all the time while driving. It’s kind of like a whooshing noise that gets louder as you speed up indicating it’s like an air leak with the turbulence if you know what I mean. I also put my ear next to the gear shifter and I can hear the outside noise coming from there too. Last year, I took my car to the Lexus dealership and one of the Master Techs rode around with me and noticed as well. His response was “oh yeah that’s definitely noticeable but I can’t tell by just sitting in here” and I tried to explain further but we weren’t able to do anything that day. I am suspicious that there’s something that’s not secured or sealed from the outside and that’s what’s letting the air/noise inside the cabin. I also went on the underside of the car where the splash shield is and was not able to find anything that would help me determine where the air noise is coming from. I am beginning to suspect that it’s somewhere where the transmission meets the cabin……

FYI, I have replaced all 4 tires with Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4S’s, alignment done, all pulleys and belts checked replaced recently, PCV valve replaced (idk if relevant to noise), windows and moonroof/door seals replaced or conditioned generously with Shinetsu grease (the LS owners use this for their door seals, Google it). I have also tried to stuff small foam pyramids into the space under the center console and gear shifter but the sound is still there with the slight blockage I created.

I took some decibel readings while driving and idling, and compared it to my mothers 2009 GS350 RWD, which is much quieter and satisfying while driving:

mine driving 60mph: 62-75dB (low/hi)
moms driving 60mph: 45-58dB (low/hi)

mine idling: 50db
moms idling: 32dB

With such a large difference in between both cars, it confirmed my thoughts of my Lexus being just too damn loud. Even my uncles 2014 ES350 glides quietest on the road.

I have literally disassembled my interior while I was doing my sound deadening project (check my posts for pics!) to mitigate this issue, but it still remains to this day unfortunately.

Any help would be appreciated!

Old 02-06-23, 08:10 AM
GCooper
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whooshing sound

Originally Posted by NormzGS350
Hi,

I thought I was the only one who noticed this on my car(2008 GS350 RWD). It’s literally so annoying and I hear it all the time while driving. It’s kind of like a whooshing noise that gets louder as you speed up indicating it’s like an air leak with the turbulence if you know what I mean. I also put my ear next to the gear shifter and I can hear the outside noise coming from there too. Last year, I took my car to the Lexus dealership and one of the Master Techs rode around with me and noticed as well. His response was “oh yeah that’s definitely noticeable but I can’t tell by just sitting in here” and I tried to explain further but we weren’t able to do anything that day. I am suspicious that there’s something that’s not secured or sealed from the outside and that’s what’s letting the air/noise inside the cabin. I also went on the underside of the car where the splash shield is and was not able to find anything that would help me determine where the air noise is coming from. I am beginning to suspect that it’s somewhere where the transmission meets the cabin……

FYI, I have replaced all 4 tires with Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4S’s, alignment done, all pulleys and belts checked replaced recently, PCV valve replaced (idk if relevant to noise), windows and moonroof/door seals replaced or conditioned generously with Shinetsu grease (the LS owners use this for their door seals, Google it). I have also tried to stuff small foam pyramids into the space under the center console and gear shifter but the sound is still there with the slight blockage I created.

I took some decibel readings while driving and idling, and compared it to my mothers 2009 GS350 RWD, which is much quieter and satisfying while driving:

mine driving 60mph: 62-75dB (low/hi)
moms driving 60mph: 45-58dB (low/hi)

mine idling: 50db
moms idling: 32dB

With such a large difference in between both cars, it confirmed my thoughts of my Lexus being just too damn loud. Even my uncles 2014 ES350 glides quietest on the road.

I have literally disassembled my interior while I was doing my sound deadening project (check my posts for pics!) to mitigate this issue, but it still remains to this day unfortunately.

Any help would be appreciated!
Thank you for replying.
So, you do have your slash shield in place?
Mine is gone and I was planning on getting one hopefully to sheild the wind from getting to the area that is allowing sound in.

I have talked with a Lexus parts department and they can't find where there is a seal under the shifter case.
I couldn't find it on a common parts site either.

I begin hearing the sound at 15 mph. Twice while driving in a side wind, the sound wasn't there.

With sounds from the tire and the road being very clear makes me think there is something loose or missing under the car but I also wonder if an air intake under the cowling beneath the windshield might be loose.

Sounds like we have the same issue.

My dB readings are about the same as yours.

Thank you again,
Greg

Old 05-23-23, 07:59 AM
colowyo
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my '08 GS 460 2 years now and am still trying to troubleshoot the cabin whooshing air noise problem.

It's not tire-related. I've replaced the undercarriage splash guard & added expensive sound-deadening in all doors, the floor, and trunk, which helped maybe about 40% but the air noise is still there and is more noticeable when gaining speed - highway noise totally sucks. Also have had the front fender well inserts replaced. Certainly is annoying and the car isn't quiet like a Lexus should be. This is my 5th Lexus I know how they should sound (eg. quiet), I also have a '19 GX. I've pondered having the undercarriage sprayed with soundproofing on the GS but probably won't. It's not my daily driver.

Bottom line, still looking for the incoming cabin air noise solution.

Kevin in Colorado
Old 11-03-23, 02:32 PM
rocketshi
2nd gear

Checking to see if anyone have any solution to this issue. I have a 2010 GS350 and I'm getting the same issue. When I speed up the wind noise gets louder. Let me know please!! Thanks
Old 11-15-23, 12:25 PM
rocketshi
2nd gear

Anyone with any solutions to this issue??