Canada For events in Canada.

Good dyno shop in the Greater Toronto Area?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-06, 07:23 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts
Default Good dyno shop in the Greater Toronto Area?

Anybody recommend a good dyno shop in the GTA?
Old 04-24-06, 07:21 PM
camillian
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for a good shop to install my tein coilovers in the GTA?

Nothing so far
Old 04-24-06, 08:02 PM
camillian
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hameed
Anybody recommend a good dyno shop in the GTA?
Hameed

I did a search on "Tein USA" and I got 2 shops in the GTA that are dealers of Tein.
One is in Mississauga and the other is in Markham. The one in Markham is called "Exotic Motoring". The one in Mississauga has a website and they make mention of Dyno testing. Their name is JRP and their site is www.jrponline.com

Have you heard of either one of these shops reputation?

Thanks
Mario
Old 04-25-06, 07:23 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by camillian
Hameed

I did a search on "Tein USA" and I got 2 shops in the GTA that are dealers of Tein.
One is in Mississauga and the other is in Markham. The one in Markham is called "Exotic Motoring". The one in Mississauga has a website and they make mention of Dyno testing. Their name is JRP and their site is www.jrponline.com

Have you heard of either one of these shops reputation?

Thanks
Mario
No, haven't heard of either.

However for your coilover install, just call Desmond at Erin Mills Toyota. He is the shop supervisor there and sometimes works on my car outside the shop (he rents a place nearby).

He is hard to get hold of, but when you do get hold of him and he does commit to working on your car, he is just plain amazing. He knows Lexus cars like the back of his hand.

He installed my BBK, Torque Converter, Supra differential.

The service number there is 905-828-8282

Tell him I gave you his contact info. Usually the receptionist will transfer you to his phone and it typically goes to his vm. Just leave him a message and if he does not call back, call again. Keep calling till he returns the call. That's what I have to do to get his attention.
Old 04-25-06, 08:09 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

I called JRP Online and they recommended this shop in Oakville as being a good dyno shop:

TAG RACECRAFT
2241 ROYAL WINDSOR DR UNIT 3
OAKVILLE, ONTARIO
CANADA
(905) 845-0888
http://www.tagracecraft.com
Old 04-25-06, 09:02 AM
W. David
Pole Position

Hameed, what does this guy from Erin Mills charge you? I'm looking for someone to change out my factory AVS suspension to a standard strut/spring setup.....had been thinking T-LEx, but definately open to suggestions....and given that you've obviously given this Desmond guy some solid marks, I thought he might be worth pursuing.

Off topic; your car makes me jealous man.....it's beautiful! I hope we can get a meet organized at somepoint this summer so I can see it in person.
Old 04-25-06, 09:49 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by W. David
Hameed, what does this guy from Erin Mills charge you? I'm looking for someone to change out my factory AVS suspension to a standard strut/spring setup.....had been thinking T-LEx, but definately open to suggestions....and given that you've obviously given this Desmond guy some solid marks, I thought he might be worth pursuing.
Roughly $40.00/hour. But don't mention that to him as he usually does not quote me an hourly rate. He just quotes on the whole job and it generally turns out to be that much in the end. Bottom line, he is cheaper than any dealer as he does not have his own shop and only does this on the side, and he knows his stuff like you won't believe.
Off topic; your car makes me jealous man.....it's beautiful! I hope we can get a meet organized at somepoint this summer so I can see it in person.
Thanks!
Yes we definitely should organize a meet in the summer and get together.

So far the only meet I attended here had a predominance of Toyota's and a couple of 1st gen IS's, and not one single GS. I wasn't too excited about that meet as you can imagine.

What car do you have?
Old 04-25-06, 11:22 AM
W. David
Pole Position

I'm currently driving an ES....had been thinking long and hard about selling it, and upgrading to a GS at somepoint this summer, but given the direction gas prices are inevitably going, I'm not sure a V8 is such a good idea - especially when I consider how heavy my foot is in the ES!

As far as a meet goes, I hope to get out at somepoint. I'm having a lot of work done on the car over the next few weeks (springs, struts, RSB, brakes, tail lights, paint), but after that, it should be worthy of being seen once again.

One more question in regards to Desmond; where is this shop that he rents space in, and when does he typically do it?? Is this something I'm going to have to schedule with him a few weeks in advance or what do you suggest?

Thanks man!
Old 04-25-06, 01:37 PM
black_gs99
Lead Lap

The mechanic you were talking about whats his name? does he know how to install a turbo in a gs300?

thanks
Old 04-25-06, 01:50 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Hameed,

http://www.dynojet.com/maps/autodynos/canada.htm

Tag is listed here plus others in your area. I'd suggest shopping around if you're going to do a group dyno and see what kind of deal you can get. Things to ask when you do that:

1) what model dyno do they have (is it in-ground or mobile... in-ground is preferrable)
2) how many pulls will they include (2 or 3 is the norm)
3) do they include air/fuel readings
4) do they have the capability to give you the dynojet runviewer file electronically (on a memory stick or disk) in addition to a printout
Old 04-25-06, 06:44 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by black_gs99
The mechanic you were talking about whats his name? does he know how to install a turbo in a gs300?

thanks
I mentioned his name earlier. See below. Regarding turbo install, I am sure he can do that too. He is a genius when it comes to our cars.
Old 04-25-06, 06:45 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Hameed,

http://www.dynojet.com/maps/autodynos/canada.htm

Tag is listed here plus others in your area. I'd suggest shopping around if you're going to do a group dyno and see what kind of deal you can get. Things to ask when you do that:

1) what model dyno do they have (is it in-ground or mobile... in-ground is preferrable)
2) how many pulls will they include (2 or 3 is the norm)
3) do they include air/fuel readings
4) do they have the capability to give you the dynojet runviewer file electronically (on a memory stick or disk) in addition to a printout
Thanks Davde! These are excellent questions to ask and I would never have thought to ask them myself.
Old 04-26-06, 11:40 AM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
No, haven't heard of either.

However for your coilover install, just call Desmond at Erin Mills Toyota. He is the shop supervisor there and sometimes works on my car outside the shop (he rents a place nearby).

Is Desmond a Trini? If he's the same guy I know, yes he knows his stuff and not only Lexus cars but all cars in general, he was a pretty good racer back home too
Old 04-26-06, 12:04 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by clubfoot
Is Desmond a Trini? If he's the same guy I know, yes he knows his stuff and not only Lexus cars but all cars in general, he was a pretty good racer back home too
Yep that sure is him! Wow, such a small world eh?

Check out the link in my sig below and on my car's profile pages, on page 3 you will see a pic of him doing my TQ upgrade.

Yes, he knows cars very well indeed!
Old 04-26-06, 06:33 PM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sure is a small world, looks a little greyer, but it's him