Engine Check Light On...Need Advise

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-06, 09:26 AM
LexSaZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Check Light On...Need Advise

Hi Guys,
I have a 2000 GS400 and every now & then my engine check light comes on and then automatically goes away....Last time i went to my dealer DVNL for oil change the engine check light was on and they reset it and told me it's the "Catalyst Converter Below Threshold Level"
Anyone ever had any prob. like this with there GS.....Can anyone advise what it is and who should i take my car to get it fixed or let my dealer DVNL fix it....I dont even know how much it's gonna cost me to get it fixed......It's annoying when the light is on......What should i do?......I would really apprecite any help......

P.S: what you guys recommend for oil change Reg. or Synthetic....DVNL recommends Reg. oil...........but i want your opinion & advise......

Guys Thanks a lot in Advance.
Old 12-19-06, 11:24 AM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually took my '02 GS300 in this morning. My light came on and stayed on for a while. I took it to Autozone and they read the trouble codes with the scanner for free. They told me my catalytic converters and oxygen sensors were not functioning like they should. In other words, my car would not pass emissions if it were to be tested. Now, I am waiting for them to call me back and let me know what they found wrong and whether my warranty will cover it or not. Another thing too, my exhaust smells like rotten eggs after I have driven for a long time. That was another reason for me to get it checked out. So, my suggestion is to get it checked out and fixed as soon as possible before it gets worse. My gas mileage was suffering alot and I also felt a loss in power.
Old 12-20-06, 04:04 PM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexSaZ
Hi Guys,
I have a 2000 GS400 and every now & then my engine check light comes on and then automatically goes away....Last time i went to my dealer DVNL for oil change the engine check light was on and they reset it and told me it's the "Catalyst Converter Below Threshold Level"
Anyone ever had any prob. like this with there GS.....Can anyone advise what it is and who should i take my car to get it fixed or let my dealer DVNL fix it....I dont even know how much it's gonna cost me to get it fixed......It's annoying when the light is on......What should i do?......I would really apprecite any help......

P.S: what you guys recommend for oil change Reg. or Synthetic....DVNL recommends Reg. oil...........but i want your opinion & advise......

Guys Thanks a lot in Advance.
From what I've read here most of the time it's the oxygen sensor that goes bad. Generally speaking synthetic oil is a better oil, not sure if you would really see a big difference if you change you oil regularly though. Toyota does not use synthetic oil in their cars.
Old 12-20-06, 07:31 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

try a decarbonizing treatment like seafoam or the one from Mr.lube before replacing anything.
Old 12-21-06, 06:44 AM
LexSaZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanx......

Thanxxxxxxxx a lot guys........
Sorry for any inconvenience but can you recommend me any place to take my car to get that "Engine Check Light On" checked & then have it fixed also any idea of cost? i would really appreciate...........i live in downtown toronto (Younge st & Eglinton Ave) but honestly guys i wouldn't mind driving if there is a very good place to take my car and get it fixed you know.........
As for the oil change i take my car for oil change after every 3k even though Don Valley North Lexus (DVNL) recommends after 5k but i just get it done after every 3k so i guess if DVNL recommends reg. oil i will stick to it unless otherwise you guys think i should change to synthetic you know.........

Thanks again .......