Canada For events in Canada.

Did anyone get there car impounded for driving 50km/h over limit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-07 | 11:16 PM
shlounek
Lead Lap

Default Did anyone get there car impounded for driving 50km/h over limit?

I am just posting this, since I am curious if anyone has there impounded for driving 50 over the limit? This is some scary stuff, I feather my throttle when i am passing cars and i easily get to 160+ loool

I think its a new regulation here in Ontario, drive 50 over the speed limit and your car is impounded!!!
Old 10-26-07 | 12:36 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

The law in BC is that if you're double the speed-limit you get it taken away..
Old 10-26-07 | 01:05 AM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Well, I'm sure they just put it there to scare you.
Old 10-26-07 | 03:03 AM
iNS0MNiAC
Pole Position

about 4 years ago i was caught doing 120km in a 50 limit but my car wasnt impounded but it was a huge ticket
Old 10-26-07 | 01:07 PM
legomaniac
Pole Position

that was a new reg just put into effect in Ont a month(?) ago

call me conservative, but if ur doing 50km over whatever speedlimit, u deserve to get ur car impounded for blatant disregard for the safety of others... imagine driving along at 100-110 and getting plowed into from behind by a guy doing 150...
Old 10-26-07 | 01:45 PM
shlounek
Lead Lap

When is the last time you drove on the 401 maybee never, i think the average is speed is like 130km/h Alot of states impound cars if your going double the speed limit but 50 over is pushing it.

Plus just out curiousity why do we have un-resticted highways such as the autobahn and we account for more accidents here then over there.

I am not saying that speeding is safe but I think learning common sense driving skills when passing cars is important. Examples if a car is comming on the passing lane and is flashing his highbeams thats a hint to move out of the way. Another example is to keep your left blinker on while trying to overtake as to warn the car behind you that your attempting to take over the car but at your speed.

Maybee in Europe they drive different, but alot of these lil things work.
Old 10-27-07 | 02:10 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by shlounek
When is the last time you drove on the 401 maybee never, i think the average is speed is like 130km/h Alot of states impound cars if your going double the speed limit but 50 over is pushing it.

Plus just out curiousity why do we have un-resticted highways such as the autobahn and we account for more accidents here then over there.

I am not saying that speeding is safe but I think learning common sense driving skills when passing cars is important. Examples if a car is comming on the passing lane and is flashing his highbeams thats a hint to move out of the way. Another example is to keep your left blinker on while trying to overtake as to warn the car behind you that your attempting to take over the car but at your speed.

I COMPLETELY agree. I visited my home in Europe for the first time in my life a few years back, and I was shocked at how they drive there! When I came back here it felt like everyone in Canada was the worlds stupidest driver.
I've tired to adopt some of those courtesy's here (like the ones you mentioned above), but people here just don't get them, and you get a finger if you pass someone in the 'PASSING LANE'!?!
Perhaps its time for a 'How To Drive Properly/Rules Of The Road' stickied thread??
Old 10-27-07 | 02:33 AM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

there's one thing I sometimes don't know if I should use or not, it's flashing your hazards as a way of thank you... on the other hand, to many people they'll think it's a form of good bye, I'm faster than you signal... 0_o

I sometimes use it when I'm in the mood and they yield...
Old 10-27-07 | 03:22 AM
MLee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Solo_D33A
there's one thing I sometimes don't know if I should use or not, it's flashing your hazards as a way of thank you... on the other hand, to many people they'll think it's a form of good bye, I'm faster than you signal... 0_o

I sometimes use it when I'm in the mood and they yield...
When I was in japan, I noticed a lot of drivers used their hazard signal as a sign of 'thank you'... I use it too from time to time, or the usual 'high five'.
Old 10-27-07 | 09:05 AM
legomaniac
Pole Position

my comment should be put in context, i haven't driven the 401 and my statement wasn't a blanket statement. vancouver doesn't have a highway as open (i'm assuming here) as the 401 plus very few drivers here have the ability/courtesy to stay out of the passing lane that being said, there are very few highways here where 50 over the limit would be safe or even possible w/o weaving but of course in low traffic, any speed is possible. but does low traffic warrant higher speeds? this is where my original comment stands, imagine being plowed into from behind going 100-110 at 150. not everyone wants to go that fast, even on autobahns.

"we" don't in canada now if we changed to that system would it make things better... given the attitudes (and i don't know if Ont drivers get out of the way more than Vancouverites), the power of cars, & the racing mindsets that seems more prevalent these days, i would bet money that changing to autobahn rules here would see a spike in accidents WHILE everyone gets into the proper driving behaviours. those who want speed will hear about the change and jump on it, others won't even have heard about it and carry on their merry way, and of course those who just don't kno the damn rules. not saying it's a bad rule, just saying that's a risk to changing the rules and i don't think any government wants that blood on their hands.

now i should mention one major driving rule change made long ago and it was predicted to be a disaster but turned out ok. the success i think was predicated lower populations, better rule abiding attitudes and likely good information dissemination plan. what change? from driving on the left side of the road to the right

i totally agree, and i think it's a gap in our driver's education. again i can't speak for Ont's system but nowhere here do you learn what the heck flashing headlights mean (from ahead or behind). inter-driver communication is learned anecdotally which accounts for many of the problems on the road. "i'm trying to tell you something, why they heck don't you understand???"
Old 10-30-07 | 03:09 PM
LeXusFiTs
Lead Lap

The whole "racing" thing is hyped up way too much. I mean how many people have really died from street racing?

I bet alot more people are gonna be saying "lemme see that radar gun!" and the government will be getting alot more money from all those suspended license's and impounded cars!
Old 11-05-07 | 10:21 PM
T-Dubbs
Driver School Candidate

i say, decrese fines, increase license suspensions
too many dumb**** drivers out there
Old 11-10-07 | 10:37 AM
shlounek
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by T-Dubbs
i say, decrese fines, increase license suspensions
too many dumb**** drivers out there
actually my friend, they increased fines and added impounding cars as a way to collect more money. Its the worst system. If I own my car no onehas the right to take it away unless they want to pay me for it.

Plus almost all the dumb drivers out there are the ones driving too slow and not paying attention. Everyone needs defensive drivig skills.