Canada For events in Canada.

IS250 in Toronto - Frustrating situation

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-08, 06:31 AM
jkwan18
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS250 in Toronto - Frustrating situation

Ok, so I went to the dealer on Friday, they said they don't have any in stock for the model that I'm looking for (IS250 rwd auto in white with leather or leather and moonroof package), but willing to look for me after we have made the deal (on the condition that if they can't find one for me in Feb, the deal is off). The day after he told me there is no way they can find the car. That means he'll be holding on to my deposit until the end of Feb? I thought initially that he probably could get a car for me, or else why waste the time negotiating? What's worse is I have a trade in and by the time the shipment comes in at Apr the price I'll pay is going to be different. Don't know what I can do right now.
Old 02-12-08, 09:18 AM
DSM2GS400
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im a sales manager for a Nissan dealer in the GTA, maybe I can explain...
To be honest I personally wouldn't invest any time in searching out a car for anyone unless there was a deal on the table, period. Why spend time on what ifs??? When there are more pressing things on the go. If they can't find the car and it is on your bill of sale that they have till the end of Feb. then they could hold your deposit in the hopes that one could show up. But if there is no chance of one showing, why hold the deposit???
IF it is not on the bill of sale that they have till the end of Feb., flip the bill over, I would be willing to bet that there is a clause on there that states they have 90 days to produce a car. If that is the case and they need the business they have every right to hold the money.

Unless they want to flip you to another trim level or colour. Unless you have your heart set on a specific car and are not flexible at all ask them if they have a similar car that they could offer you at a discount or pull your deposit. They may even propose this to you.
Old 02-12-08, 10:51 AM
jkwan18
Rookie

Thanks for your input DSM. The thing I found it strange is, the day right after the deal he told me he get do one for sure in Feb. But there is still more than half a month until end of Feb. In my shoes, I would like to get back the deposit, since right now I can't even go to another place. Do you think they'll return my deposit right away if I ask? Also, I have a trade in, and he told me to send him my trade in now, then what am I going to drive from now until Apr when the car shows up? That leads to a question, how am I able to negotiate prices with a trade in if the car I want will not be here until April? Since my trade in value will be lower, at least according to him and thus asking me to turn it in now.

As far as stock goes, they only have the awd version with the higher priced packages, which are at least 6k more, and I'm not willing to pay that much more.
Old 02-12-08, 10:27 PM
DSM2GS400
Driver

Does it state anywhere on the bill of sale about delivery by the end of the month?
Old 02-13-08, 06:31 AM
jkwan18
Rookie

Yes it does.
Old 02-13-08, 08:08 AM
DSM2GS400
Driver

Then wait till the end of the month worst case scenario.
Do not give the the trade either, the value won't change at all with a month worth of Km's on it (they set a value on it knowing avaliability, not you), it would only change if you were to damage it in some way, obviously a different situation...
If you give in the trade now, you are guaranteed business, period.
Are you willing to wait, or look at another car, or?
From what you have said, this sounds like a pretty unscrupulous dealer.
Care to share the name of the dealer, so this doesn't happen to others?
What do you want to do?
Old 02-13-08, 01:13 PM
jkwan18
Rookie

Yes, there is no way I'm going to trade in my car now. I'm willing to wait, since I realize that this is the car I want and no other dealers in GTA seem to have what I'm interested in. I called the guy yday and told him if he can't keep the same deal for the Apr delivery (meaning same price I'm going to pay, and trade in my car when the new car arrives), I'm going to cancel the deal, and he has yet to get back at me. I'm not sure if it's an unscrupulous dealer yet, since this may be just a special situation where he just didn't know if he can get one for me, and he didn't say he's not going to return my deposit if I requested it now.
Old 02-13-08, 09:14 PM
DSM2GS400
Driver

Sorry, the way you said they wanted your trade now to guarantee your business (how could you break a deal and ask for your deposit and car back when the car is sold to another dealer within 24 hous?) They then said they can produce a car by months end to make a deal and then switched on you in less than 24 hours. I would have expected a little more perspective in respect to delivery dates. Telling you that you would have to cover deperciation of your trade for a few months (knowing in advance the deal was to be done in a few months (I read it as they as just trying to grab extra cash)), etc...

Maybe I'm just reading into things too much.

Bottom line is, if on your bill of sale it states the car must be delivered by Feb. 29/08 and you choose to get your money back, you have the right to do so.

But, if you have your heart set on this paticular car and you aren't willing to comprimise on colour or trim, that what else are you going to do?!?!?
Wait for the car.
Old 02-14-08, 06:32 AM
jkwan18
Rookie

Right now I still have to wait until he gets back at me. You're right, I think he was just trying to get some extra cash from me by saying how my trade in won't be worth as much after 1 month, but I'm not stupid enough to fall for that.

If they don't mind the same deal with the delivery being April, I don't mind waiting as well, because this is the only car I like. If they decided not to do that, worst case is I get my deposit back at the end of the month and go to another dealer, which I'll make sure they know they'll never get my business and my friends'.
Old 02-19-08, 07:49 AM
jkwan18
Rookie

So here's the update: I got my deposit back from that dealer. Now I have made another deposit with another dealer with the X-package. They have it in stock and I'll be picking it up some time this week. I can't wait!
Old 02-26-08, 09:22 AM
Supershyguy
Pole Position

Congrats, you will love it