Canada For events in Canada.

Any Canadians imported a US spec Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-08, 08:50 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Any Canadians imported a US spec Lexus?

Hi folks, just wondering if anyone here imported a US spec Lexus up to Canada. If you have (or know someone who has), I would like to know who you dealt with, and what kind of modifications you needed to do to meet Canadian standards. Thx
Old 08-23-08, 08:58 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think? and if i'm not mistaken, JLSC (John) imported his sc400 from the states, so you might want to give him a PM as he doesn't really check up often.

and not to discourage you from the site or anything, you're probably better off posting this on revscene or something where there are tons of guys who imported their cars from the states. There are more local owners here on the canada section. Hope this helps
Old 08-23-08, 09:30 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think the upgrades on most lexus are pretty minimal ...

if u know exactly what you want you can go to a place called "auto|one" they're on w3rd ave in kits ... that's what they do there. find, import, safety cars from the states ... i think they put a 1yr warrenty on things they bring up too
Old 08-23-08, 09:54 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by Faymester
i think the upgrades on most lexus are pretty minimal ...

if u know exactly what you want you can go to a place called "auto|one" they're on w3rd ave in kits ... that's what they do there. find, import, safety cars from the states ... i think they put a 1yr warrenty on things they bring up too
Are you referring to Trevor Kramer (I think Auto One and Infinity Auto merged)? I tried, he can't find any US Lexus dealers willing to do a deal. I gave him 2 solid months to help me land a GS450h and nada. So I gave up.

Just this past week, I contacted HM Brown (www.hmbrown.com), and one of the brokers I've been in contact with says there are three (3) silver GS450h available in the mid-West, he can get any one of them for me. Only problem is I really, really want the active power stabilizer suspension system (APSSS), so that would have to be a factory order for a 2009 model as this APSSS option is extremely rare.

My problem right now is the instrument cluster (housing). I don't know if the US spec instrument cluster has a specific cel light for the APSSS. IF yes, then I'm screwed because APSSS is not an available option here in Canada (I was planning on being compliant with the Canadian standard by swapping out the US miles/hr speedo and odometer, and swapping in the Cdn metric speedo and odometer). I don't want to order the GS with APSSS and find out that I have problems later on. Geez, what a headache!
Old 08-23-08, 09:58 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by Kaydee
I think? and if i'm not mistaken, JLSC (John) imported his sc400 from the states, so you might want to give him a PM as he doesn't really check up often.

and not to discourage you from the site or anything, you're probably better off posting this on revscene or something where there are tons of guys who imported their cars from the states. There are more local owners here on the canada section. Hope this helps
I'll shoot JCSC a PM. Thx for the tip.
Old 08-23-08, 11:47 PM
Zender
Rookie

No mods need on an IS350 as it comes with drls already... just need the inspection and good to go

Can't think of an easier car to import.
Old 08-24-08, 12:01 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stormforge
Are you referring to Trevor Kramer (I think Auto One and Infinity Auto merged)? I tried, he can't find any US Lexus dealers willing to do a deal. I gave him 2 solid months to help me land a GS450h and nada. So I gave up.

Just this past week, I contacted HM Brown (www.hmbrown.com), and one of the brokers I've been in contact with says there are three (3) silver GS450h available in the mid-West, he can get any one of them for me. Only problem is I really, really want the active power stabilizer suspension system (APSSS), so that would have to be a factory order for a 2009 model as this APSSS option is extremely rare.

My problem right now is the instrument cluster (housing). I don't know if the US spec instrument cluster has a specific cel light for the APSSS. IF yes, then I'm screwed because APSSS is not an available option here in Canada (I was planning on being compliant with the Canadian standard by swapping out the US miles/hr speedo and odometer, and swapping in the Cdn metric speedo and odometer). I don't want to order the GS with APSSS and find out that I have problems later on. Geez, what a headache!

yea since the merger i dunno who i would talk to there anymore; there used to be a woman by the name of Karen, but she moved on when the merger happened (she didnt like how things were going)

i'm sorry to hear that they're not as good as they once were ... i was going to get them to find my next car for me ... but perhaps not
Old 08-24-08, 11:48 AM
SorrGwa
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

why do u need to change the cluster? doesnt the US cluster show both the mpg and kph (just that the kph are on the inner and smaller lettering)

so long as it has the markings u are fine.

as long as the cars rebar is US spec, its fine, new import rules made it easy to import a US car, thats why you will see MR-S's and evo4/5/6/7/8/9's on the canadian roads very soon.

you need DRLs

go to www.riv.ca to see if ur car is importable. lexus just wont allow u to import a brand spanking new car, HOWEVER, if it makes the riv list, then the one way to bypass this is to find someone in the states to buy the car, then you buy it from them, thus the car is 2nd hand aka used. just make sure ur bill of sale is not some super cheap amount as the border does check online and black/blue books for current pricing.

Originally Posted by Stormforge

Old 08-24-08, 03:06 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by Faymester
yea since the merger i dunno who i would talk to there anymore; there used to be a woman by the name of Karen, but she moved on when the merger happened (she didnt like how things were going)

i'm sorry to hear that they're not as good as they once were ... i was going to get them to find my next car for me ... but perhaps not
Well Trevor seems like a nice guy. But he couldn't pull the trigger on a deal for me (perhaps because it's a Lexus). However if you are thinking about MB or BMW (or any other car that don't have import restrictions), he could get it for you. Just not Lexus.
Old 08-24-08, 03:09 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by SorrGwa
why do u need to change the cluster? doesnt the US cluster show both the mpg and kph (just that the kph are on the inner and smaller lettering)

so long as it has the markings u are fine.

as long as the cars rebar is US spec, its fine, new import rules made it easy to import a US car, thats why you will see MR-S's and evo4/5/6/7/8/9's on the canadian roads very soon.

you need DRLs

go to www.riv.ca to see if ur car is importable. lexus just wont allow u to import a brand spanking new car, HOWEVER, if it makes the riv list, then the one way to bypass this is to find someone in the states to buy the car, then you buy it from them, thus the car is 2nd hand aka used. just make sure ur bill of sale is not some super cheap amount as the border does check online and black/blue books for current pricing.
I assumed you need to change the cluster??? If not, then cool it will save me a lot of money. The GS I want to get comes with DRL, so no problem with that.

Since I'm using a US autobroker to get the car for me, it shouldn't be a problem. The guy at HM Brown says it's not a problem. I hope they got a way around the loophole.
Old 08-24-08, 03:12 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

it was my understanding you still needed the CDN cluster ... if not then woohoo 4 u ... let us know on that one
Old 08-24-08, 09:49 PM
JLSC
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Just got back in town....

I imported a '97 SC400 a couple of years ago. The only modification I had to make was the DRL's, which was done by Regency Lexus for $195. The cluster was fine since it displayed both mph and kph. The '97's had one recall and I had it resolved before importing. I was told it is much easier to deal with any recalls in the US and getting the clearance letter before importing the car than trying to resolve it afterwards.

PM me anytime. Although I don't often post, I do check the site quite regularly.

John
Old 08-24-08, 10:15 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

all lexus have km/h scale even if it is smaller than mph scale
as long as it has it, it will pass the certification requirements
so you dont need to swap the instrument cluster if that is what you are worrying about
Old 08-24-08, 11:37 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by UberNoob
all lexus have km/h scale even if it is smaller than mph scale
as long as it has it, it will pass the certification requirements
so you dont need to swap the instrument cluster if that is what you are worrying about
yeah, that was one of my concerns, swapping out the instrument cluster. but i wonder why riv.ca would say you need to add metric labels? and what about the odometer - doesn't that record miles driven instead of km?

but if you are absolutely certain there's no need to swap instrument cluster, then cool, one less headache to worry about. thx!
Old 08-24-08, 11:41 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by JLSC
Just got back in town....

I imported a '97 SC400 a couple of years ago. The only modification I had to make was the DRL's, which was done by Regency Lexus for $195. The cluster was fine since it displayed both mph and kph. The '97's had one recall and I had it resolved before importing. I was told it is much easier to deal with any recalls in the US and getting the clearance letter before importing the car than trying to resolve it afterwards.

PM me anytime. Although I don't often post, I do check the site quite regularly.

John
Thx John. If I got any questions, I'll drop you a PM. Thx

Quick Reply: Any Canadians imported a US spec Lexus?