Canada For events in Canada.

Modifications voiding insurance policies/Lexus warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-09, 09:59 AM
RudeDoggy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Modifications voiding insurance policies/Lexus warranty?

Hello CL,

I have a question about vehicle modifications. I believe any type of modification must be reported to your insurance provider. From there, they may/may not adjust your rates accordingly and/or cancel your policy all together.

If you do not report these modifications, I think technically they have grounds for not honouring the policy. (e.g. If you get into an accident and the other party sues you (liability) and you want your car fixed (comprehensive).)

Basically I would like to install lowering springs but I'm worried that this would give the insurance company a reason to deny a claim if I don't mention it and something happens or for them to drop me as a customer completely if I do mention it. If I install manufacturer-based aftermarket parts (e.g. TTE or F-Sport) would I be covered?

What about Lexus manufacturer warranty? Obviously if I use say Tanabe springs they wouldn't warrant the springs or struts, but what about other parts/issues? Wouldn't they find any excuse to blame aftermarket parts so that they don't have to pay out and do the work?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-12-09, 11:19 AM
IS3_FTW
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Insurance companies have extended comprehensive coverage for those who add more stuff to the car, than stock. As long as they know, before you get into an accident. You will be covered, and will still have the same deductible.

I cant help you with the warranty factor, since I dont have warranty on my car anymore!

EDIT: Ughh!! I just realized your in Canada. What I posted, was for US insurance

Last edited by IS3_FTW; 04-12-09 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-13-09, 09:24 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

springs are fine, but it can rule out any suspension work under warr.
Old 04-16-09, 03:43 PM
RudeDoggy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I finally got around to calling my insurance company (Coseco aka DirectProtect Group aka the Co-Operators) and asked them this question.

I basically got this answer:

Any modifications to the "engineering" of the car would result in the policy being cancelled. I asked about Lexus branded parts (e.g. TTE springs or F-Sport if/when they come out) and the answer he gave me basically said that if it didn't come with the car (or wasn't a factory option) then it was a modification. I'm not sure if I agree with his explanation (he had to check with his supervisor before giving me this answer) so I may just try calling in again to see if I get a different answer. (For an unrelated issue, the first time I asked a question, I received faulty information. It caused me unnecessary delay and multiple follow-up calls to ensure I was subsequently getting the right answer.)

He said rims were ok as long as they did not alter the engineering of the car. I didn't tell him I'm getting 19"s and I don't know if that alters the engineering of the car (overall diameter decreases by like a hair --225/50R17 vs 245/35R19). Insurance speak is so vague, probably on purpose.

So I guess here's my question: Do you tell your insurance company that you've modified your car? If they know and they're cool with it, which company do you go with?

Thanks.
Old 04-16-09, 09:58 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Better pull out my rubber floor mats and my summer tires and put back the carpeted ones with all seasons because they were engineered better.

I am so glad my insurance company is not like that , they have looked after my car when ever i have a problem , good thing it is always 100% never my fault.
Old 04-20-09, 12:15 PM
omgswifty
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so whats ur insurance company sk haha.

mine jus told me to swap to stock if trading in, problems, whatever to the dealership.