Canada For events in Canada.

Daizen Bushings Experience in Vancouver

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-09 | 12:02 AM
eclipse604
Rookie

Default Daizen Bushings Experience in Vancouver

Anyone from the GVRD have any experience with Daizen bushings and the installation? I went to a dealership for a quote for installing them and i received a quote of between 4-12 hours. anyone know of a dealership or garage thats done this job before?
also, has anyone from Vancouver tried any of the Daizen Bushing upgrades yet?
thanks for any help in advance!
Old 08-29-09 | 01:39 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

I am in T dot but i got mine lower caster arm one installed for the control arm kit cost $100 . I installed the sway bars and steering rack ones . Car drove like a dream after except for tire noise as the old bushings ate my tires so bad they feathered enough to drone like hell until i took them off.
Well worth it .
No need to go to a dealer. Go to one of the van meets and some of those guys should have some good hook ups on shops.
Old 08-29-09 | 07:57 AM
SorrGwa
Racer

which bushings?

i have the daizen steering rack bushings, and the daizen sway bar bushings for their sway bars.

both seem ok, was fairly easy to install, but then i had access to a hoist.
Old 08-29-09 | 08:00 AM
SorrGwa
Racer

if they are for like control arms and such, they will take a while.

when i had my prelude, i redid all the bushings in the suspension to polyurethane kit from energy suspensions. i left my car with tecknik for 3 days, and paid about 1000 in labour to have it all done, this was the ultra friendly cash deal, so for a dealership to charge 12 hrs is not unheard of.

from what i remember, to remove the bushings from the control arms, they ahve to be torched out or pressed out, then new one pressed in.

but really depends on what bushings u need installed.
Old 08-29-09 | 10:14 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

ive been thinking of changing my sway bar bushings and steering rack ones too
starting to look into cost of labor

where can u buy the daizen bushings in lower mainland?
Old 08-29-09 | 10:32 AM
eclipse604
Rookie

i was looking to replace the control arm bushings.
sorry i should have been more specific on which bushings
my bushings are worn pretty bad so i thought it would be the cheapest just to replace the bushings with aftermarket ones...i guess not....
the only reason, my mechanic cant do it is cuz he doesnt have the machine to press in the bushings at his shop

Ubernoob: there are DIYs on both the steering rack and sway bar bushing installation in the 2GS forum. they both look simple enough.
i'm buying mine from Sewell Lexus. after the CL discount, its $150 for the control arm and steering rack bushings before shipping.
Old 08-29-09 | 10:37 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

for what car?

If you are thinking about Daizen, might as well get prothane...cheaper and basically a rebranded Daizen. Personally I would not get poly bushings for control arms only because it will make the ride even harsher...but that's just me, I have thought about getting them just to be baller, but now I'm simply going to order new Supra LCAs with new bushings to replace my really really worn ones
Old 08-29-09 | 11:12 PM
eclipse604
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kaydee
for what car?

If you are thinking about Daizen, might as well get prothane...cheaper and basically a rebranded Daizen. Personally I would not get poly bushings for control arms only because it will make the ride even harsher...but that's just me, I have thought about getting them just to be baller, but now I'm simply going to order new Supra LCAs with new bushings to replace my really really worn ones
98 GS400. i've heard that it make the ride a bit more stiff, which isnt what i'm going for. honestly, i'm just looking at the cheapest solution to my problem... i thought just replacing the bushings would be the cheapest but i guess i was wrong...
Old 08-29-09 | 11:43 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

replacing all the bushings can make it harsher for the 3 control arms.
Just replacing the caster and upper ones are fine though . I only did the caster and it is what improved amazingly.
I bought all from TMengineering for about $200 shipped to Canada.
If your mechanic doesn't have a press find a new one as it is a basic shop tool .
Old 08-30-09 | 09:07 AM
SorrGwa
Racer

order from sewell.

i originally got mine from TMengineering, but the shipping and response took forever. took 1 month to acknowledge he received payment, then another 2 weeks just to mail out. im fine with it as long as u tell me its gonna take a while.

Originally Posted by UberNoob
ive been thinking of changing my sway bar bushings and steering rack ones too
starting to look into cost of labor

where can u buy the daizen bushings in lower mainland?

Last edited by SorrGwa; 08-30-09 at 09:11 AM.
Old 08-30-09 | 09:09 AM
SorrGwa
Racer

i changed mine on the prelude, the ride was a little harsher, but then i was use to it already. but man, the steering and response was like butter!

the down side, u gotta grease them up every oil change or u will get the polyurethane creak. i just used liquid silicone lube spray, went thru 1/2 a can each oil change. while the car was up, u see a bushing, u spray the crap out of it and let it soak.

Originally Posted by Kaydee
for what car?

Old 08-30-09 | 09:10 AM
SorrGwa
Racer

go for harder rubber compound bushings. i dont know if they make it for the GS, but i know they had it available for the AE86. i think TRD made them for the 86

Originally Posted by eclipse604
98 GS400. i've heard that it make the ride a bit more stiff, which isnt what i'm going for. honestly, i'm just looking at the cheapest solution to my problem... i thought just replacing the bushings would be the cheapest but i guess i was wrong...
Old 09-02-09 | 09:44 AM
black_gs99
Lead Lap

YEP they are available but you have to buy them seperate...they are all over ebay.
Old 09-03-09 | 12:52 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

mmm yes id like to avoid the squeaking described by many 2GS owners
so hard rubber is probably a better way to go but still afraid of them dying

but i cant even find any 2GS bushings on ebay right now
only see 91-97 GS300 bushings