Canada For events in Canada.

looking for reliable mechanics in Vancouver

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-10, 11:31 PM
furryjet
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for reliable mechanics in Vancouver

hey guys..I'm looking for reliable mechanics in Vancouver area..

I went with Advance motor in Coquitlam before, decent guys there (Alex, and the mechanics from Toyota who drove AE86); but now they don't work there anymore I think, at least they don't do any performance parts.

So I need some advice for where to go, or if anyone can tell me where the previous ADV guys is now?

thanks!
Old 02-14-10, 03:22 AM
stkiss
Lead Lap

haha I think most of us are waiting for Shoei's update about the new shop he will be working at!
Old 02-14-10, 07:43 AM
SorrGwa
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

alex and curt are in the midst of opening their own shop. ill keep you guys updated when they tell me where their shop will be located.

Advance is pretty much no more. the owner has decided to go a different direction, and so everyone was let go. i left advance back in august 08, but stayed in touch best i could.

Im currently still at brian jessel bmw, but hope to be finish training soon so i can move over to brian jessel autohaus. Autohaus will focus on afterwarranty and after market. What this means is to avoid confusion, and to save big headaches for the owners, we will focus on cars that are after their warranty. We will do our best to find out what we can do and cant do for the owners. My specialty has always been customer service and parts, so we will see which direction this leads.

i cannot promise the best prices out there, new shop means new accounts which means not always the best price, but i will garantee the best customer service out there, no BS, no sugar coating.
Old 02-14-10, 09:01 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

I go to Comptech, but it depends what kind of perfomrance parts you want. They're very good but I'm not sure they'll start moding the hell our of your car if you're a new customer, I've been going there so long and they've done some pretty interesting stuff for me so there's a relationship but it's worth asking them.
Old 02-14-10, 01:39 PM
KI_GSE21
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by furryjet
hey guys..I'm looking for reliable mechanics in Vancouver area..

I went with Advance motor in Coquitlam before, decent guys there (Alex, and the mechanics from Toyota who drove AE86); but now they don't work there anymore I think, at least they don't do any performance parts.

So I need some advice for where to go, or if anyone can tell me where the previous ADV guys is now?

thanks!
For reliable mechanics and repairs, your best bet is to go to AJ Racing. They used to be near Ikea in Richmond, but have recently moved to a new location near No.6 Road. They have lowered IS and GS (current gen) as SR Auto Group contracts all mechanical work to AJ Racing. They also do engine work, clutches, lowering, performance mods, custom mods, etc. They used to do alot of Honda and Acura but recent years have done alot of work of different cars like Nissan GT-Rs, Mitsubishi Evo 10s, STIs, etc. They are very knowledgeable with all kinds of mods, so you know you wen to the right people.

They do charge slighter higher prices for labour but you know for sure they will make it right and do their work professionally.

Just curious, do you drive an IS with F-sport wheels and go to SFU? Do you have buddy that drives a IS250 with Work wheels black?
Old 02-14-10, 10:18 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My mechanic is A&R motorworks in Richmond. Ask for Lawrence or Andrew. They do all kinds of cars.
Old 02-15-10, 02:20 AM
furryjet
Pole Position

thanks everyone, I will wait for SorrGwa's update, and check out AJ and A&R as well.

Originally Posted by KI_GSE21
Just curious, do you drive an IS with F-sport wheels and go to SFU? Do you have buddy that drives a IS250 with Work wheels black?
ya that's right, how do you know? you go to SFU as well?

are you the guy that drives an IS350 with JDM visor, IS-F tail and has AJ's sticker on the side? if you are, I spotted you today underneath granville bridge!

Last edited by furryjet; 02-15-10 at 02:30 AM.
Old 02-15-10, 09:12 AM
kimchi604
Rookie

hey guys im looking for brake pads for my SC430 in vancouver. Have any suggestions? not OEM. Performance pads.
Old 02-16-10, 09:39 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kimchi604
hey guys im looking for brake pads for my SC430 in vancouver. Have any suggestions? not OEM. Performance pads.
hawk hps

http://www.hawkperformance.com/performance/hps.php

you can order this from lordco

endless is good too, buy pricey. either endless NS97 or Endless SS-M

http://www.endlessusa.com/brakepad/

don't think lordco carries endless; you would have to order this from an aftermarket tuning shop like sr auto group or a&j racing.
Old 02-16-10, 09:54 PM
narfy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kimchi604
no offence to stormforge, but i avoid hawk HPS like plague... the first 2 months i had HPS in my car, they were fine, then they started squealing like madd... high speed, low speed, hard stops, gentle stops, hot, cold... didn't matter... i've also completely faded HPS in 3 laps in my AE86 at mission raceway's SHORT course in the rain... having done this, i chucked them and replaced my pads and rotors again with porterfield R4S and i've been super happy since... oh, and when the HPS faded, they also cracked, and the friction material just about fell off of the backing plate...

the porterfield R4S is my performance street pad of choice, and i've tracked many different types of brake pads and this is by far, the friendliest streetable brake pad... that means you don't have to swap pads out before and after track days... they will still fade if heavily abused, but they take a lot more abuse to fade, and come back feeling normal after half a lap of cooling down...

you can get them from drivers edge on boundary under highway 1, next to audi and bmw...
Old 02-17-10, 10:52 AM
KI_GSE21
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by furryjet
thanks everyone, I will wait for SorrGwa's update, and check out AJ and A&R as well.

ya that's right, how do you know? you go to SFU as well?

are you the guy that drives an IS350 with JDM visor, IS-F tail and has AJ's sticker on the side? if you are, I spotted you today underneath granville bridge!
Yep, that's me. I guess you are silver IS parked in the same parkade then. I noticed there is also a black IS250 with Work wheels parking in your spot at times.

Yea, I was parking in Yaletown to go to LiveCity on Sunday.
Old 02-17-10, 11:16 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

You guys all park in convo don't you ... miso sneaky
Old 02-17-10, 11:54 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by narfy
no offence to stormforge, but i avoid hawk HPS like plague... the first 2 months i had HPS in my car, they were fine, then they started squealing like madd... high speed, low speed, hard stops, gentle stops, hot, cold... didn't matter... i've also completely faded HPS in 3 laps in my AE86 at mission raceway's SHORT course in the rain... having done this, i chucked them and replaced my pads and rotors again with porterfield R4S and i've been super happy since... oh, and when the HPS faded, they also cracked, and the friction material just about fell off of the backing plate...

the porterfield R4S is my performance street pad of choice, and i've tracked many different types of brake pads and this is by far, the friendliest streetable brake pad... that means you don't have to swap pads out before and after track days... they will still fade if heavily abused, but they take a lot more abuse to fade, and come back feeling normal after half a lap of cooling down...

you can get them from drivers edge on boundary under highway 1, next to audi and bmw...
no offense taken. i've never experienced anything even remotely close to what you have. porterfield is good too, glad it works for you.
Old 02-17-10, 10:09 PM
furryjet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KI_GSE21
Yep, that's me. I guess you are silver IS parked in the same parkade then. I noticed there is also a black IS250 with Work wheels parking in your spot at times.

Yea, I was parking in Yaletown to go to LiveCity on Sunday.
Mine is actually Pearl White..and my friend's car is more than a IS250..lol

btw, did you get all your stuff installed at AJ? where did you order them from?

Originally Posted by Faymester
You guys all park in convo don't you ... miso sneaky
we park in west mall, wish it was convo though..
Old 03-03-10, 10:50 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I bring my car to a buddy of mine in Richmond. The name of the place is Titanium Automotive. The owner's name is Larry, he's a nice, honest guy and knows his stuff. He also has a OBD reader too which is really handy. He's definitely the one I would bring to for everyday mechanical work. This is strictly a mechanic shop not a tuning shop for aftermarket performance parts but he can do the installs no problem.

Quick Reply: looking for reliable mechanics in Vancouver