Canada For events in Canada.

Windhsield Cracked.. Any good repair in Vancouver/Richmond?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-11, 04:58 PM
J250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Windhsield Cracked.. Any good repair in Vancouver/Richmond?

This year is just not my luck... Just found a crack on my windshield roughly one feet long... First car I ever owned that cracked on me.. Any of you guys know any good repair shops in lower mainland? I'm sure they don't need to replace it just needs some repairing.

Thanks!
Old 05-07-11, 05:37 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Cracks cannot be repaired, especially 1 foot long. Only tiny rock chips can be repaired. If the split is over 1cm you have to have it replaced. ICBC windshield deductible is $200 and you get a brand new windshield, which is much cheaper than paying out of your pocket. Rock chip repairs are usually about $75 each, but a crack I guarantee has to be replaced. Speedy Auto Glass and Brocco Auto Glass are reputable shops to repair. As far as I know windshield claims do not affect your premium.

When I was a claims adjuster for car rental company we has all our windshields replaced by Wespac Auto Glass in Richmond. They do great work, ask for Andrew. They're on Simpson & River Rd.

Last edited by Sonic_RC; 05-07-11 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-07-11, 10:13 PM
narfy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would use broco autoglass on kingsway (next to icbc) and talk to amir...

ask him how much extra an OE glass would cost if your insurance doesn't cover an OE windshield...
Old 05-08-11, 11:42 AM
J250
Lexus Test Driver

damn i didn't know you can't repair it.. Thanks guys, i'll give all those place a call first.
Old 05-09-11, 08:53 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

Actually, cracks can be repaired. I got a crack in my GS about two years ago which I got repaired and it still has not gotten any worse then when it was repaired. The crack was about half way up on the passenger side. It extended toward the middle of the windshield for about six inches and then it travelled downward for another six inches. The guy who repaired it drilled a very small hole at the bottom end of the crack. He then heated up the glass all along the crack and filled it up with glue. The other end of the crack went to the edge of the glass so nothing needed to be done there.

The windshield has been through two winters. I also run Bilstein Sports so the car gets a pretty rough ride and so far so good with the crack holding up. I think I got lucky because everyone I talked to said they can't repair anything more than a few inches long. The guy that did mine even said he can't garauntee the repair but I took a chance. He really took his time and seemed to know what he was doing. I am sure it's not easy. I wanted to save the OEM glass so I took a chance. Too bad the shop is in Toronto.
Old 05-09-11, 11:16 PM
KI_GSE21
Lead Lap

I would recommend Lang's Glass (Minoru Blvd). It is located at the corner near Richmond Courthouse, across from the Chrysler dealership. They did the glass on my IS350 and the quality of work was excellent. Alot of attention to detail.

Lang's is actually a family business and they have experienced people.
I've had bad experiences with Speedy and Broco as they are franchise and the craftsmanship is hard to control.

Highly recommend Lang's to get the job done right.

Good luck Muggy and sorry to hear about the crack =)
Old 05-14-11, 11:06 PM
shenmecar
Driver School Candidate

Lang's glass is actually the place Richmond Lexus outsource to for windshield repairs.

I personally got my windshield replaced at Rapid Auto Glass in Coquitlam. $200 deductible and you get a new piece of OEM Lexus windshield. Free courtesy car rental too.
Old 05-15-11, 01:06 AM
J250
Lexus Test Driver

thanks guys, yea i got multiple recommendations to Lang's. Getting it replaced on tuesday. The crack is actually getting worst... Started from couple inches and now its at least 2 feet spreading across the windshield...