Canada For events in Canada.

Anyone order from Sewell before (shipping to Canada)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-12, 09:43 PM
ANCL
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone order from Sewell before (shipping to Canada)?

Would it be a safe bet to assume the shipping option with duties included is better than the one without?
Old 04-06-12, 12:18 AM
RudeDoggy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought springs from them before. I had them shipped via FedEx ground and got hit with duties and brokerage fees. I already knew about the brokerage fees but ordered anyway since they weren't available in Canada at the time.

What are you ordering? Duties is usually only around 6% or so for car-related goods in general. It's sales tax (HST for you in Ontario) that gets dinged on everything that's imported. If you meant that the sales tax is included, might as well select that option. Hopefully you don't get charged extra in brokerage fees if you pay for the tax up front with Sewell, since they will be the importer into Canada so they would be responsible for settling the taxes, etc.
Old 04-06-12, 12:25 AM
furryjet
Pole Position

depends on what you're buying. If it's something small and you think custom won't tax you then I'd say exclude duties.

But if it's something big and expensive then ya you should option for duties included.

I bought wheels from them before, shipped to Vancouver, somehow Fedex charged me $500+ for duties..nearly 1/3 of what I paid for my wheels, but I didn't want to deal with them back and forth so I ended up paying the bill
Old 04-06-12, 02:18 AM
felixt
Rookie

I've bought led lights and sport pedals, they came in a small box and I wasn't charged anything,

Just depends on what you buy.
Old 04-06-12, 08:58 AM
ANCL
Driver

Thanks all,

I plan to purchase the LED headlight retrofit, sway bar, springs and intake from them. We're looking at +$2000 and the difference between shipping options are here:

Intl. Select (Incl. Duties/Taxes) $405.82
Standard Intl. Ground $122.35

Difference of: $283.47

Just wanted to see other's experiences with not necessarily Sewell but big purchases across the border.
Old 04-06-12, 06:41 PM
RudeDoggy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're buying $2000+, then 13% of that is already $260. If CBSA apply the duty rules, it could be another 6% (assuming parts are not made in North America). I think for $23.47 or so, it's worth just paying the taxes up front. This should also shield you from paying potential brokerage fees to FedEx, since it should be Sewell or their agent that is the record of importer, not you (with FedEx acting on your behalf).

Chances are you won't get away with not paying HST on something that costs $2000+. I could see potentially having your package slip through if it were only a small amount (e.g. $50) but I think for $2000 they will most likely ding you with HST/duties.

FedEx charges brokerage fees based on the total value of your shipment, not necessarily how big/heavy the package is. In general, the more expensive the goods are, the better off you are to get it shipped by a method that does not charge brokerage fees (usually these are more expensive shipping options such as overnight, air, etc).

When I ordered from Sewell, I got a bill from FedEx (about a week after I actually received my springs) for about $80 in brokerage fees for something that was valued at like $230. This is on top of the HST I had to pay at the time of actual delivery from FedEx.
Old 04-06-12, 08:02 PM
ANCL
Driver

Okay, I will pay the additional coverage for duties/customs for peace of mind. The potential savings definitely do not outweigh the potential additional costs.

Thank you everyone.
Old 04-06-12, 08:25 PM
Asakura58
Pole Position

I brought a gfx kit (front and rear) and got no customs from FedEx... But I suppose if you buying bigger expensive stuff like springs, shocks,wheel...they prob charge customs.
Old 04-08-12, 09:19 PM
k4fu
Lead Lap

for me in vancouver, i just have my items shipped to point roberts and drive down to pick it up to save (a lot) on shipping.
Old 04-09-12, 11:05 PM
furryjet
Pole Position

^ same here after I got ripped off the very first time, and you get to fill up the tank with cheaper gas
Old 04-10-12, 10:18 AM
Asakura58
Pole Position

^ when you guys bring them back into BC from point roberts don't they charge customs/duty? :S
Old 04-10-12, 07:20 PM
JEFFOS69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought spark plugs, clear door lenses and the f sport carbon fiber shift ****. No duties or brokerage. I guess I got lucky
Old 04-10-12, 09:11 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Anyone purchase off Sewell Parts before?

I'm just wondering if you guys been charged duty when shipping to Canada (I'm in Toronto), and if so how much? If is reasonable then is actually cheaper for me to buy some parts from there instead of local!

Thanks!
Old 04-10-12, 10:06 PM
ANCL
Driver

The thread that is at the top of this sub-forum created by me as of right now... lol

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/can...to-canada.html

Depends on what you are shipping, you can take a chance with duties as FedEx may ding you hard. I'd go with comprehensive shipping (+duties/taxes) to be on the safe side.
Old 04-10-12, 11:31 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I merged the threads.

Quick Reply: Anyone order from Sewell before (shipping to Canada)?