Canada For events in Canada.

Complaint filed with MOT on car moving forward at a stop

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-14, 02:18 PM
Sfrt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complaint filed with MOT on car moving forward at a stop

Hi all - I'm not one to be overly litigious, but thanks to an unnecessarily rude rep at Lexus Canada who finally pushed me over the edge today, I filed a complaint with the Ministry of Transport today. As much as I love my car and as much as I'm a huge fan of Lexus (and can't wait to get an RC) ... I thought the time has come.

The issue of our cars (IS for sure, not sure about others) lurching forward at a stop sign/red light (when it's cold and car it not fully up to operating temperature) has been experienced by several others on the forum from what I can gather. There's much info on the forum about this and some good explanations from members.

My dealership (who I think the world of) has tested the car each year and can only tell me that it's operating within specifications. My issue is one of safety though and my viewpoint is that a lay person driving this car for the first time would have no way of knowing that the car will lurch forward at a stop unless additional intervention is performed. Nowhere in the car’s manual does it state that you will need to apply additional brake force in order to avoid a collision if your vehicle has not fully reached its optimal operating temperature.

One member posted a tip that has been helpful (putting the car in snow mode until you hit operating temperature) and I think it was the Lexus Reps rude reaction to my request that she share this feedback internally that ultimately pushed me to file a complaint beyond Lexus.

I get that the car is operating as it was designed to; my objective is to get this looked at and at a minimum, have Lexus do something simple about it. I.E. Mention this as a warning to users in the manual (that the problem may occur if car isn't warmed to operating temperature), and/or the Snow Mode suggestion. Ideally even a software solution that may program the car to reduce wheel power at a stop when car is not up to op temp (as with snow mode).

I'm sharing this as a PSA and if anyone else would like to do the same you can do so at: https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur....aspx?lang=eng
If you'd like to see the text of my complaint, please PM me.
Old 03-17-14, 03:41 PM
Sfrt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This makes me ponder: what's the average response to read rate on CL?.
Old 03-31-14, 06:39 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha some people are slow readers. It's definitely a safety issue it's good you reported it to the MOT. Maybe they will do something about it. Please post updates on this matter. I do not own an IS but am interested in your issue.