Canada For events in Canada.

Lexus CPO purchase from GTA dealer is becoming a headache

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-17, 08:02 PM
mattau
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Angry Lexus CPO purchase from GTA dealer is becoming a headache

Bought a Lexus CPO 2013 GX460 from one of the biggest dealer in the GTA. Salesperson said it has gone through LCPO and yet the car has scratches and a dent when we test drove it. Salesperson said all will be taken of.

When we picked up the car, we found the dent fixed but can clearly see where it was touched up, and none of the scratches were fixed. We also found some underbody damage in the front that we didn't notice when we test drove the car but can be seen in the pictures in the ad. One of the remote controls was low in battery. Dealer agreed to fix everything while we went on vacation and we dropped off the car before we left. Before we dropped off the car, we also told the salesperson that the car appears to be pulling to the right and asked that it be checked out.

We picked up the car after vacation and found that the car was still pulling to the right. We also found that the scratches were still not fixed. Upon closer inspection, we also found all four hinges of the rear hatch to be rusting. We were told to drop it off, again, now for the second time.

So today we picked up the car and it seems to no longer pull to the right. The hinges are still rusting and the scratches - seems like someone just liquid paper over them! In fact, it looks like the guy didn't even wait till it dried and some of the touch-up paint has transferred over onto the weather-stripping. At this point, I am not sure what else I can do. This is ridiculous!
Attached Thumbnails Lexus CPO purchase from GTA dealer is becoming a headache-2017-06-03-11.49.59.jpg   Lexus CPO purchase from GTA dealer is becoming a headache-2017-06-03-11.50.27.jpg   Lexus CPO purchase from GTA dealer is becoming a headache-2017-06-03-11.50.57.jpg   Lexus CPO purchase from GTA dealer is becoming a headache-2017-06-03-11.51.13.jpg   Lexus CPO purchase from GTA dealer is becoming a headache-2017-06-03-11.51.31.jpg  

Old 06-03-17, 08:34 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,369 Posts

I'm guessing the GX has the pearl white paint...looks like they put the base on but didn't put the clear coat, as the clear has the pearl finish in it...otherwise the base is just white paint.
I was trying to guess which dealer...if it was biggest dealer by annual sales, then it could only be DVNL. (I don't need to know, I just like a good mystery)
Honestly I would go to the General Sales Manager with your concerns...they are responsible for the New car sales manager and Used car sales manager.
GX is not a cheap truck and there is a lot of room for markup...so fixing those minor defects properly won't dent their bottom line.
The problem with pearl paint is that blowing in a section is not possible...it would never look right. You would have to blend the paint at least across a major panel in each direction of the area that needs correction.
The following users liked this post:
mattau (06-04-17)
Old 06-18-17, 06:19 PM
User21c
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

My CPO GX also had touch up done in Starfire Pearl... not as prominent as the OP's, but my dealer also used just the base coat... they were clueless about the 3 stage paint... base/pearl/clearcoat... (Roseville CA)
Old 06-19-17, 10:08 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

I know this doesn't help you, but you should have had them fix the problem areas BEFORE moving forward with the purchase. The dealers will tell you almost anything to get the sale, regardless of their intentions to actually remedy the problem(s). They will take the easiest and least expensive way possible, even if isn't the "right" way to do things.

If you make them fix things before the transaction - it's THEIR problem. If you try to get them to fix something after the paperwork is signed - it's YOUR problem.

They will keep jerking you around until you give up and/or too much time has passed for you to have any recourse. Escalate to the dealership's GM as soon as possible. Certainly be professional, but don't be afraid to use comments like, "this isn't what was agreed upon, perhaps I should pursue returning the vehicle for a full refund" or my favorite, "what would you do if you were in my situation? Would YOU accept this if this was a car you just purchased?"

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
mattau (06-19-17)
Old 06-19-17, 05:02 PM
mattau
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by DallasDave
I know this doesn't help you, but you should have had them fix the problem areas BEFORE moving forward with the purchase. The dealers will tell you almost anything to get the sale, regardless of their intentions to actually remedy the problem(s). They will take the easiest and least expensive way possible, even if isn't the "right" way to do things.

If you make them fix things before the transaction - it's THEIR problem. If you try to get them to fix something after the paperwork is signed - it's YOUR problem.

They will keep jerking you around until you give up and/or too much time has passed for you to have any recourse. Escalate to the dealership's GM as soon as possible. Certainly be professional, but don't be afraid to use comments like, "this isn't what was agreed upon, perhaps I should pursue returning the vehicle for a full refund" or my favorite, "what would you do if you were in my situation? Would YOU accept this if this was a car you just purchased?"

Good luck!
Thank you. Lexus Canada is now involved. The dealer resprayed the front fender and the rear spoiler. "liquid-papered" looking spots are still all around. Lexus Canada has contacted the GM requesting a respond. We are keeping our fingers crossed but this whole purchase experience has been far too frustrating than it needed to be.
Old 07-18-17, 11:47 AM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I learned during my search that LCPO doesn't mean much either.
Old 08-15-17, 05:32 PM
fivesevenn
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sybaritic
I learned during my search that LCPO doesn't mean much either.
a quality lcpo inspection is suppose to be free of any aftermarket parts/scratches/dents/damage. if any, it fails on the spot. we do write it down in the system/notes for the ucd to fix, we dont know if they fix them or not, but we cover our own backs. anything else that wasnt done is usually from ucd.
Old 08-16-17, 06:28 AM
mattau
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by fivesevenn
a quality lcpo inspection is suppose to be free of any aftermarket parts/scratches/dents/damage. if any, it fails on the spot. we do write it down in the system/notes for the ucd to fix, we dont know if they fix them or not, but we cover our own backs. anything else that wasnt done is usually from ucd.
Interesting. I was told the mechanical stuff are checks by different people than the cosmetic stuff. In my case, it was blamed on the people who check the cosmetic stuff. And I was never shown the LCPO checklist so I don't know if it was picked up. But maybe that's why I was not shown the checklist as it was probably picked up but the used car dept decided not to fix.
Old 08-16-17, 07:49 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 849 Likes on 642 Posts

Were you given the L/Certified Booklet? Inside the front cover on Page 1 is the line "Certification Number".
If it is blank you must insist on seeing the actual documentation and getting it. Without it your new wheels
is just a nice used car with balance of factory warranty...
Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department Canada number is 1-800-265-3987
Old 08-16-17, 08:00 PM
mattau
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mcomer
Were you given the L/Certified Booklet? Inside the front cover on Page 1 is the line "Certification Number".
If it is blank you must insist on seeing the actual documentation and getting it. Without it your new wheels
is just a nice used car with balance of factory warranty...
Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department Canada number is 1-800-265-3987

I didn't get a booklet and no I don't have the number but when I spoke and in my written correspondence with Lexus, they do have my car registered as LCPO.