RZ Model (2023-present)

2023 Lexus RZ 450e - ClubLexus Review Coverage

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-23, 05:43 PM
MPalmer
CL Editor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 2023 Lexus RZ 450e - ClubLexus Review Coverage

Hey, Folks. Michael here from the ClubLexus front page editorial team. I went to Encinitas, CA last week to learn about, photograph, and drive the 2023 Lexus RZ 450e. They had every model available -- both Premium and Luxury -- with all 3 wheel options and even a few steering-by-wire setups.Feel free to ask me any questions you might have.

EDIT. the driving impressions embargo lifted today. Link added above.

Cheers.

Last edited by MPalmer; 03-14-23 at 08:48 AM. Reason: added an extra link
Old 03-08-23, 05:48 PM
xGS350x
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Hows this compared to the GV70?

Last edited by xGS350x; 03-08-23 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-08-23, 07:20 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Wish the power train wasn't so anemic, otherwise we'd replace our model y readily...
Old 03-08-23, 09:04 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
Wish the power train wasn't so anemic, otherwise we'd replace our model y readily...
The power is fine for what it is. It's the poor range, poor efficiency, and snail-pace charging that holds it back just like the BZ4X it's based on.

Originally Posted by xGS350x
Hows this compared to the GV70?
It's slightly larger and more spacious inside because it uses a flat skateboard platform while the GV70 is a more traditional unmodified ICE platform. But the GV70 runs circles around it as an EV for the reasons mentioned above, including power. As for how they compare in driving refinement and handling, we'll have to wait until the review embargo gets lifted for the RZ.
Old 03-08-23, 10:54 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

There appears to be at least a foot between the tire and the wheel well. Big mistake going with black cladding. Cheapens the look and doesn't belong on a luxury vehicle. Subaru sure, but not a Lexus.

I'm not sure what is worse: the 2015 iteration of the spindle or this version. This is horrendous looking.

Hate how Lexus is stretched out in the back. Pretty sad when this company has to now copy instead of lead.

So much wrong with the interior but this wheel does not belong in an automobile. Plenty of folks like to rest their hand on top when driving but can no longer in this thing. Plus it just looks so ugly. Those ugly gaping cup holders without a cover is an ugly sight as well.

The styling is a nightmare in every sense but if it's true how it's a major disappointment in range and charging time, then there is literally no reason to buy this. Absolutely none.
Old 03-09-23, 03:33 AM
xGS350x
Intermediate

Originally Posted by xjokerz
There appears to be at least a foot between the tire and the wheel well. Big mistake going with black cladding. Cheapens the look and doesn't belong on a luxury vehicle. Subaru sure, but not a Lexus.
Yea it doesn't look like a luxury car anymore. The GV70 looks alot better.

Lexus started going downhill around 2010 for me.
Old 03-09-23, 03:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by xGS350x
Yea it doesn't look like a luxury car anymore. The GV70 looks alot better.

Lexus started going downhill around 2010 for me.
Ive seen the GV70 EV. It looks just as weird. Also too small. Looks like a tall hatch. Way too cramped

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-09-23 at 04:31 AM.
Old 03-09-23, 04:03 AM
xGS350x
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Ive seen the GV70 EV. It looks just as weird. Also too small. Looks like a tall hatch
I've seen a few GV70/80s on the road. Yea I agree the design is kinda weird in the sense that its not something you'd expect coming from an Asian manufacturer, but they are still very nice. And they exude a sense of luxury. Personally I think the GV70 looks great. It has quite a bit of presence.
Old 03-09-23, 08:06 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Great photos! Can't wait to hear your thoughts after the embargo lifts
Old 03-09-23, 09:16 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Good photos. Except for the Yoke, I really like it's looks. Probably has a great interior. Look forward to hearing more after the embargo is lifted
Old 03-09-23, 11:12 AM
timmy0tool

Received 420 Likes on 374 Posts

i don't like the rear upper "horns"! appears a spoiler is missing.

also i've not grown accustomed lately to how OEM style the d-pillar. it's all over the place, like they are trying to one up each other with how odd it looks.

Old 03-09-23, 12:12 PM
MPalmer
CL Editor

Hey, Guys! Trying to reply to as many comments/questions at once...

VISUALS - I have to say it looks pretty good in person (and thank you for the photo compliments) -- especially when placed next to an RX. Is it as lovely as an LC? No way. But amongst other Lexus crossovers, I think it fits pretty well. Also worth noting, they didn't stretch the back, it's actually a lowered roofline (as the original concept drawing was more of a coupe) which helps with aerodynamics. Thankfully, it doesn't impact rear passenger headroom. That said, I loathe the black fender arches and wish they were body color (at least these are painted and not that cheap plastic from every mid-2000s car ever made).

THE FINS - these are the vortex generators I talked about in the review. Very functional and a design I've never seen. I was a little shocked at first too, but I ended up thinking that they were kinda cool (especially when one looks at every other crossover on the road and this stands out a bit). That said, I can see why others might night like them.

INTERIOR QUALITY / LUXURY -- I agree with this. The RZ feels more like an ES than it does a high-end RX, LS, LX, or LC. The designers wanted to show that the RZ represents sustainability, but after getting home from this event, I stepped into an RX 500h and all of the touch surfaces are much nicer. This is rather plain -- like halfway between a traditional Lexus and a sparse Tesla (which is not a knock on Tesla, to be clear).

EDITED to add: Oh, but the one thing I do like about the RZ's interior is the layout. It's very clean and open with a nice open view. And there's no passenger glove box which offers a lot of legroom. (There is, however, extra storage in the center console area -- there's an open space below the shift dial.)

The YOKE is optional, FYI.

The conventional steering wheel is standard on both Premium and Luxury. My personal guess is that the yoke will be dropped eventually, so know that I don't really have a skin in the game there. However, we were talking to some Lexus engineers and apparently, the yoke wasn't where they started in the process... they started with the benefits of steering by wire and variable steering ratios and improved gauge cluster sightlines (I like the cluster's position a lot more on the steering-by-wire setup)... and a yoke shape ended up being chosen toward the end of the process. I think it's an improvement over the Tesla Yoke... but overall I prefer a conventional wheel.

GV70... alas, I have not driven or experienced one in person (ICE or BEV) so I can't help you there... I have spent a lot of time in Audis... the RZ is nicer than the new Q4 e-tron, I'd argue, but not as nice as the SQ5.

RANGE... again, no skin in the game for me, but a serious (if unscientific) question for our group... on paper, the range is a disappointment, but how many folks here routinely daily drive north of, say, 150 miles per day? Or how many times per year do you need more than 200?

Based on what I've read, it's not a large percentage of urban and suburban folks, which is the target audience here. This is a car for daily driving to work and plugging it in at home overnight to charge.

Also worth considering, the relatively limited range is thanks to a smaller battery, which means the vehicle is lighter which seems to help. (For example, the RX 500h is heavier than a fully loaded RZ Luxury, which is uncommon when comparing EVs and ICE cousins.) I can't talk about RZ's driving characteristics, but let's just say 4,600-lb gas-powered crossovers with 300 horsepower don't hit 60mph in an OEM-quoted 5.0 seconds (which is roughly 5.3-seconds if you measured yourself using GPS). For comparison, I have a 4,500-pound LS3-swapped Roadmaster Wagon that hits 60 in 5.01 seconds (GPS measured, so roughly 4.7 seconds from an OEM or car magazine). And that's 430 peak horsepower, which naturally doesn't arrive until late in the power band.

Cheers.

Last edited by MPalmer; 03-09-23 at 12:15 PM. Reason: added an extra thought.
The following users liked this post:
internalau (04-28-23)
Old 03-10-23, 12:14 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 503 Likes on 345 Posts

Well, it's a bZ4X right? 200 mile range at 100% charge? The vehicle with the wheel problems?
Don't get me wrong, I love our Toyota products. But, sorry to say... Still waitin' for the big boys to get in.
Old 03-10-23, 05:25 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 479 Likes on 380 Posts

Toyota/Lexus exterior designers need strong leadership to steer them toward concepts that aesthetically appeal to the masses. Instead, they seem to be focusing on quirkiness vs any form of "coolness." It's understandable their first effort in an EV platform be far from perfect performance-wise. However, there's no excuse for not being able to design an appealing exterior.

I've settled for less-than-outstanding exterior design in other Toyota/Lexus products I've purchased over the years, and was willing to do so knowing I was buying solid reliability. However, I don't see myself settling for quirky exterior design regardless of how reliable a vehicle might be!
Old 03-13-23, 10:01 AM
MPalmer
CL Editor

RZ 450e first-drive review impressions -- https://www.clublexus.com/articles/l...e-first-drive/ -- just added to the OP

The following users liked this post:
internalau (04-28-23)

Quick Reply: 2023 Lexus RZ 450e - ClubLexus Review Coverage