Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

fans of AM radio, lament

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-23, 10:02 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
And the vast majority of it isn't coming to you via your local AM stations...
How would you possibly know this?
Old 03-19-23, 10:05 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 653 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
How would you possibly know this?
How could you possibly not know this?
Old 03-19-23, 10:11 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

How could you possibly not know this?
well this conversation with you is over
Old 03-19-23, 10:33 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

But not everyone connects to CarPlay.
But once you do, it's seamless. It's no different than saying "Not everyone programs AM presets in their stereo." That's the point.
Old 03-19-23, 10:36 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 653 Likes on 407 Posts

well this conversation with you is over
You can also access programming from all over the world. As it happens, there's a lot of good radio content out there. And the vast majority of it isn't coming to you via your local AM stations...”

My actual post content above, which you edited, was entirely accurate.

Old 03-19-23, 10:40 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
But once you do, it's seamless. It's no different than saying "Not everyone programs AM presets in their stereo." That's the point.
I have CarPlay. I don't use all that often. It is in nice to not be tethered to a phone every once in a while

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-19-23 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-19-23, 11:02 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have CarPlay. I don't use all that often. It is in nice to not be tethered to a phone every once in a while
That is YOUR preference. You can use your car electronics any way you want. But you present it like your view is best, which is why all these folks here are taking issue with what you say. If all you did was say this to begin with, this thread would be much shorter.....

My car has wireless CarPlay and I like it ... mainly because it gives me more listening choices. Whether they are "tethered to my phone" or tethered to some other source. Because, if I am enjoying what I am listening to by CarPlay, guess what? I can keep listening after I get out of my car. If I'm listening to the radio, I'm tethered to my car....
Old 03-19-23, 11:34 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I agree, I use AM for listening to local news/talk/sports.
i have never EVER had any interest in local news or sports.

whenever i accidentally or intentionally listen to or watch 'local news' i find it so worthless (accident on highway xx, weather, fire at house yy, weather, traffic, city council bickering over nothing, weather and traffic again) - complete waste of my time.

Maybe so, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
i see what you did there.

I don’t get the hate on for having AM in the car.
i don't think it's hate for having in the car... it's an evaluation of its very limited value vs other options.
Old 03-19-23, 11:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

But not everyone connects to CarPlay.
You can't have options for every possible way everybody wants to interface with a car when you have limited resources and budgets for features that are available. You have to go in the direction of where technology and buyer preference is going...and thats towards using systems like CarPlay and Android Auto and other embedded streaming options. You don't have to use CarPlay either, modern cars have these apps built in and the availability of additional apps within the native system.

There are apps where you can listen to any radio station from anywhere in the country also...

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i don't think it's hate for having in the car... it's an evaluation of its very limited value vs other options.
Exactly
Old 03-19-23, 12:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

My car has wireless CarPlay and I like it ... mainly because it gives me more listening choices. Whether they are "tethered to my phone" or tethered to some other source. Because, if I am enjoying what I am listening to by CarPlay, guess what? I can keep listening after I get out of my car. If I'm listening to the radio, I'm tethered to my car....
Nice I am happy you like your set up. (I like all the options I have as well, including CarPlay when I use it, just wish I had a CD player in my new vehicle )

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-19-23 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-19-23, 02:33 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
the phone pairs automatically every time once it’s paired. If you have CarPlay, it’s one click on the screen. No different than selecting a radio station

I don't do Apple anything.
Old 03-19-23, 02:41 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

If only there was something functionally identical to CarPlay, that worked with non-Apple devices....
Old 03-19-23, 02:44 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Streaming radio has some other advantages. Not only is the quality better, AM is close to unlistenable, you can pause the stream and pick up when you left off should you take a call or have to stop during an interesting broadcast. You can also listen to programming from earlier in the day or archived programming from other days, and with some apps you can time shift by recording scheduled radio programming to your phone for later listening. You can also access programming from all over the world. As it happens, there's a lot of good radio content out there. And the vast majority of it isn't coming to you via your local AM stations...
You don't seem to understand that some of us don't want to listen world wide radio. I understand streaming has all kinds of goodies like you mention, but I could care less.
Old 03-19-23, 03:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

You don't seem to understand that some of us don't want to listen world wide radio. I understand streaming has all kinds of goodies like you mention, but I could care less.
And you dont seem to understabd that you are in the diminishing minority, and more and more entertainment options built into vehicles that aren't used by the majority of people are going to no longer be present in new vehicles. Hence, new cars don't have CD players...and now are starting not to have AM radio...as time goes on you will see all radio and audio become streaming, thats the way the industry is going.

And the saying is "I couldn't care less", if you "could care less" then you actually do care...and could in fact care less.
Old 03-19-23, 06:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

understood... if you have an android phone there's android auto which is very similar feature set. i don't currently have an iphone either.

Originally Posted by geko29
If only there was something functionally identical to CarPlay, that worked with non-Apple devices....
sarcasm is probably not helpful here.

got it. most local radio stations offer streaming, because they know tons of possible listeners won't bother with AM (and soon won't have it at all).

Quick Reply: fans of AM radio, lament