Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

fans of AM radio, lament

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-23, 12:54 AM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I’ll agree about satellite radio….with my Sirius XM account, I haven’t listened to FM either….it’s been years. I can’t comment on streaming because I haven’t tried it, but, from your comment, you seem to be quite satisfied with it.

In fact, that reminds me of a joke…….”Get Sirius, and don’t kid around”
XM is pretty good, convenient, and cheap.

Originally Posted by swajames
The problem with satellite radio is that the audio quality is low, it's markedly inferior to FM and even more so when compared to HD radio. The bitrate of satellite audio transmissions is almost laughably low, and while it's OK for talk radio it's absolutely unsuitable for music IMO. It's solvable if you stream satellite audio via the SiriusXM app, that has a few streaming quality options and all of them are better than the standard satellite option. The only reason I have satellite radio is because there are a few channels I like and because they will offer the service for very low cost if you talk to retention.
I'm not an audiophile so XM sounds just fine to me.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Theres no reason to when you can stream CD quality sound or better off of your phone.
We don't need phones for EVERYTHING. Enough is enough.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Sometimes it’s nice to do something that’s not on your phone
100% in agreement.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Clearly very few people feel that way because they have removed CD players from basically every car.

In any event, it’s not “doing something on your phone” it’s controlled through the car, CarPlay or the car’s native audio system. The data is just coming from your phone. Other than having a bunch of CDs already that you don’t want to copy to a phone or a drive, there is no reason to use CDs. Your phone just stays in your pocket if you’re using BT or plugs into the USB if you’re using the USB connection.
As mentioned before, I have a big CD collection from years ago that continues to serve me well. This combined with my XM account suits me perfectly. No phones, no hookups, none of that. Just $60 paid annually (probably will go up a bit in June when it's time to threaten to cancel then they come at me with a great deal... love playing those guys) and no hassles with all that other stuff.

It must get exhausting having to deal with all that nonsense, with bluetooth connections, carplay, syncing accounts, playlists, and the whole nine yards.
Old 03-13-23, 04:37 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
It must get exhausting having to deal with all that nonsense, with bluetooth connections, carplay, syncing accounts, playlists, and the whole nine yards.
Yes it's terribly exhausting dealing with a whole bunch of things that happen automatically in the background with no effort or thought whatsoever on your part.
Old 03-13-23, 05:07 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

XM is pretty good, convenient, and cheap.

I'm not an audiophile so XM sounds just fine to me.

We don't need phones for EVERYTHING. Enough is enough.

100% in agreement.

As mentioned before, I have a big CD collection from years ago that continues to serve me well. This combined with my XM account suits me perfectly. No phones, no hookups, none of that. Just $60 paid annually (probably will go up a bit in June when it's time to threaten to cancel then they come at me with a great deal... love playing those guys) and no hassles with all that other stuff.

Because switching out CDs constantly while trying to drive isn't exhausting (or distracting)...
Old 03-13-23, 05:16 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Because switching out CDs constantly while trying to drive isn't exhausting (or distracting)...
6 disc CD changer in one of my cars
Old 03-13-23, 05:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Just $60 paid annually (probably will go up a bit in June when it's time to threaten to cancel then they come at me with a great deal... love playing those guys) and no hassles with all that other stuff.
so much fun sitting on the phone for an hour arguing with someone who is who knows where about a sirius/xm subscription.

It must get exhausting having to deal with all that nonsense,
dealing with sirius/xm, yes. for years i fell into the 'take the discounted deal' but eventually i said enough is enough, i'm done.

with bluetooth connections, carplay, syncing accounts, playlists, and the whole nine yards.
there is no nine yards. connecting a phone to a car with bluetooth is typically.a one time 2 minutes process. androidn auto or apple carplay might take 5 minutes.
after that, it's all just done. forever.

so no 'whole nine yards' lol.
Old 03-13-23, 06:02 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

6 disc CD changer in one of my cars
If you enjoy listening to the same 6 CDs over and over, and having to think ahead about what CDs you will want to listen to later when loading the changer, more power to you. The fact that these have mostly gone away tells you that you are in the minority, and most people don't want to listen to music this way anymore.
Old 03-13-23, 06:30 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

he fact that these have mostly gone away tells you that you are in the minority, and most people don't want to listen to music this way anymore.
Hah. I never claimed otherwise. You sound offended that some like CDs
Old 03-13-23, 06:46 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Hah. I never claimed otherwise. You sound offended that some like CDs
No - you sound offended that cars don't offer CD players.
Old 03-13-23, 06:59 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

It’s very disappointing. Especially for the mid or high priced models. I notice Lexus got it right with the all new LX by including the player.
Old 03-13-23, 07:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Yes it's terribly exhausting dealing with a whole bunch of things that happen automatically in the background with no effort or thought whatsoever on your part.
LOL, exactly.

Also, exactly. It makes perfect sense that carmakers don't offer CD players anymore, very few people still listen to CDs and there is no buyer demand for one. If people were pissed off that their cars didnt have CD players they would reverse course.

Whats frustrating is when people say CDs are better or easier when they don't know how streaming works...because they aren't better or easier.

It must get exhausting having to deal with all that nonsense, with bluetooth connections, carplay, syncing accounts, playlists, and the whole nine yards..
I realize you have some sort of tech-aversion or something where technology causes you stress, but most people don't have something like that. Technology REDUCES our stress. Like Tex said, fumbling for CDs while trying to drive down the road is stressful, even if you have a multidisc changer you still only have 6 albums, I have the entire music library of the world at my fingertips in CD quality sound or better...pulling up music is no different than changing a radio station or changing the CD in the changer. In fact, I can just press a button on my steering wheel and tell it to play ANYTHING. A specific song, album, genre, playlist, or even just "play some music" and it will do it. No stress.

I don't have an issue with you having the outlook you do, its the fact that you act like you are somehow ordinary and everybody else is unusual for not being stressed by technology and actually liking and using it. If you would just say "technology just stresses me out, I try to limit it" nobody would argue with you, instead you say "technology is evil and it ruins everybodys life, you people are just mindless lemmings for using it"....see the difference?
"
Old 03-13-23, 07:25 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

It’s very disappointing. Especially for the mid or high priced models. I notice Lexus got it right with the all new LX by including the player.
I suspect that's a buyer demographics thing. Lexus as a brand skews slightly older than the market as a whole (average age of 56 for new Lexus buyers, vs. 53 for all brands), and I suspect the LX is way towards the older end of the spectrum within the brand (as opposed to, say the UX, NX, or IS). Older buyers are much more likely to seek out technologies that were supplanted decades ago--like AM radio and CD players--when compared with younger buyers.

So just like it made sense for the senior-targeted SC430 to be the final production vehicle from any manufacturer to have a factory tape deck, I'm not terribly surprised that the LX refresh features a CD player.
Old 03-13-23, 07:26 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

High priced cars typically have more cutting edge tech features that take a while to trickle down to more affordable cars. Saying it's disappointing that those models don't offer CD players is like saying it's disappointing that they don't offer hand-crank windows...
Old 03-13-23, 07:28 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

High priced cars typically have more cutting edge tech features that take a while to trickle down to more affordable cars. Saying it's disappointing that those models don't offer CD players is like saying it's disappointing that they don't offer hand-crank windows...
you’ve lost me.
Old 03-13-23, 07:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

I suspect that's a buyer demographics thing. Lexus as a brand skews slightly older than the market as a whole (average age of 56 for new Lexus buyers, vs. 53 for all brands), and I suspect the LX is way towards the older end of the spectrum within the brand (as opposed to, say the UX, NX, or IS). Older buyers are much more likely to seek out technologies that were supplanted decades ago--like AM radio and CD players--when compared with younger buyers.

So just like it made sense for the senior-targeted SC430 to be the final production vehicle from any manufacturer to have a factory tape deck, I'm not terribly surprised that the LX refresh features a CD player.
The back side of that policy is that younger people get in their products, see the CD player and it reinforces their already present mental hangup that a Lexus is for old people and their technology is woefully behind. When you watch reviews of Lexus vehicles, they almost always crack some joke about the CD player.
Old 03-13-23, 07:52 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Also it's much easier to fit in a large SUV without making sacrifices. The CDs were a nice backup form of entertainment when dead phones and data coverage holes were more of a problem years ago.

Quick Reply: fans of AM radio, lament