Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

fans of AM radio, lament

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-23, 11:05 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
do you listen to those in the car sometimes? and do you use a cord or bluetooth or just listen to it out of the phone speakers?
My iPhone 6s serves as a dedicated podcasting device . In the car, I connect it the stereo in my Corolla or new 4R by lightning cable I also have some soundtracks downloaded from iTunes which I have bought.

I like have two devices. I’ve always had two devices. I have been listening to podcasts for 10+ years. But it used to be different where you had to connect to iTunes. I also like a corded connection over wireless earbuds. Which I do have
so are these music cd's, or audiobooks? if music, do you rip the cd's to mp3's or something or just listen for a bit and return them? i can't think of a more inconvenient way of listening to music. unless you had a vinyl record player in the car.
music CDs at the library. I go into the library to pick up a hold. I walk out and get into my car insert the CD and listen with jolly joy as I drive.

We also have a very big CD collection. So sometimes if we go on a road trip..we pack 10 CDs for the drive. The lack of a CD player in my 21 4R pissed me off.

? if music, do you rip the cd's to mp3's or something or just listen for a bit and return them?
‘I don’t @SW17LS gave me crap once so I no longer do it

and the problem with AM is because there's so few listeners and it's 'free', it's covered in advertising so i wouldn't be surprised if for every hour of content you probably listen to 15 minutes of commercials and of course you can't pause/ff/rwd.
advertising has never really bothered me. Yes it can get annoying. I agree

​​​

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-18-23 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-18-23, 11:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

LOL, I remember that
Old 03-18-23, 11:12 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I think it’sthe extreme minority...not people who listen to the radio, lots of people still listen to FM radio, but those who listen to AM radio.
AM radio is still doing well. Nobody has said it is more or less popular than FM.

https://www.electronicdesign.com/blo...alive-and-well

I am ENTHUSIASTIC about paying for content so that I don't have to watch advertisements. I pay for YouTube just so there are no ads.
‘nothing wrong with that.

LOL, I remember that
I don’t bother anymore. It’s a PITA on my iMac

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-18-23 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-18-23, 11:41 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I am not the radio station. Ask them?
You're the one saying that AM is needed for local shows here in this forum, not the stations. So that's why I'm asking you. You're the one making the argument, so I kind of assumed you had some info or merit behind it.

Lots of AM stations have migrated to FM.
Old 03-18-23, 11:42 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
You're the one saying that AM is needed for local shows here in this forum,.
did I actually say that? I don’t recall but gonna look back

Lots of AM stations have migrated to FM.
I never disputed that
Old 03-18-23, 12:24 PM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 313 Likes on 241 Posts

and the problem with AM is because there's so few listeners and it's 'free', it's covered in advertising so i wouldn't be surprised if for every hour of content you probably listen to 15 minutes of commercials and of course you can't pause/ff/rwd.
I bet it's actually way more than that. Remember "1 hour" broadcast TV shows are 41-42 minutes long--so there's 18-19 minutes/hour of ads--and I recall AM having even more than that.
Old 03-18-23, 01:23 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

did I actually say that? I don’t recall but gonna look back
LOL, well if you can't remember your own posts, then I guess there's no point in taking this further... Some people still enjoy AM; we can leave it at that.
Old 03-18-23, 01:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

. Some people still enjoy AM; we can leave it at that.
It’s not that I enjoy AM. Whether it’s AM or FM doesn’t matter if I’m seeking out a talk show or the Blue Jay game. If it were on FM cool. I don’t see the advantage of having to go to my phone to steam CFRB for instance.
Old 03-18-23, 02:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Some people still enjoy AM; we can leave it at that.
I won't dispute your statement, but by "enjoy," are you referring to the actual content of the AM broadcasts, or the radio signals and sound quality itself?...because the AM signals, IMO are pure crap, even with their generally longer range than FM stereo.
Old 03-19-23, 08:32 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I won't dispute your statement, but by "enjoy," are you referring to the actual content of the AM broadcasts, or the radio signals and sound quality itself?...because the AM signals, IMO are pure crap, even with their generally longer range than FM stereo.
Maybe so, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 03-19-23, 08:38 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I..because the AM signals, IMO are pure crap, even with their generally longer range than FM stereo.
AM signals are fine for basic talk and news shows. And listening to a MLB baseball game. Nobody is advocating for AM to replace FM or Streaming. Honestly. It is really nice to not be tethered to your phone
Old 03-19-23, 08:52 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

AM signals are fine for basic talk and news shows. And listening to a MLB baseball game. Nobody is advocating for AM to replace FM or Streaming. Honestly. It is really nice to not be tethered to your phone
I agree, I use AM for listening to local news/talk/sports. It's the only way to get local broadcasts except for streaming off your phone which is stupid. I can't be bothered to pair the phone, open an app like iheart or other, search for a channel and hope it connects while draining your battery down. Nonsence. I keep about 4 favorites and just touch the logo and I'm good to go.
Old 03-19-23, 09:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I agree, I use AM for listening to local news/talk/sports. It's the only way to get local broadcasts except for streaming off your phone which is stupid. I can't be bothered to pair the phone, open an app like iheart or other, search for a channel and hope it connects while draining your battery down. Nonsence. I keep about 4 favorites and just touch the logo and I'm good to go.
the phone pairs automatically every time once it’s paired. If you have CarPlay, it’s one click on the screen. No different than selecting a radio station
Old 03-19-23, 09:32 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

the phone pairs automatically every time once it’s paired. If you have CarPlay, it’s one click on the screen. No different than selecting a radio station
But not everyone connects to CarPlay.

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I don’t get the hate on for having AM in the car.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-19-23 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-19-23, 09:55 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 730 Likes on 458 Posts

Streaming radio has some other advantages. Not only is the quality better, AM is close to unlistenable, you can pause the stream and pick up when you left off should you take a call or have to stop during an interesting broadcast. You can also listen to programming from earlier in the day or archived programming from other days, and with some apps you can time shift by recording scheduled radio programming to your phone for later listening. You can also access programming from all over the world. As it happens, there's a lot of good radio content out there. And the vast majority of it isn't coming to you via your local AM stations...

Quick Reply: fans of AM radio, lament