Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Deciding between keeping Rx or trading it for a rav4

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-23 | 04:54 AM
Jsmc86
10th Gear

Default Deciding between keeping Rx or trading it for a rav4

Currently own a 2017 Lexus rx350 with 70000 kms. Toyota dealer is offering me $46k for the car to trade it for a 2023 Rav 4 limited hybrid ($49500 plus taxes, so like $53 total) In theory I should only have to play like $6000-$7000 difference. My Lexus is paid off. Wondering if the trade is worth it? I'm planning to keep either car for at least 10 years. Wondering if the trade is worth it? I know it's a Lexus forum but I would still like neutral feedback.
thanks
Old 03-17-23 | 05:33 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Have you driven the RAV4 yet?

It takes quite a beating on here, but I really like them, but it's certainly a downgrade from an RX so drive one if you haven't. My folks own a current gen RAV4 Limited Hybrid and I think it's fantastic and they have really enjoyed it. The hybrid version is much more refined than the gas only version, and the limited versions come with lots of great features.
Old 03-17-23 | 05:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

- i think rav4 is a bit smaller than the rx, and imo not as nice inside
+ obviously fuel economy will be better with the hybrid.
+ since your rx is already 6 years old and 70k km ithe rav4 is going to cost less over the next 10 yrs on maintenance.

so you have to decide how these factors matter to you.

have you considered a new nx?
Old 03-17-23 | 05:37 AM
Jsmc86
10th Gear

Originally Posted by JDR76
Have you driven the RAV4 yet?

It takes quite a beating on here, but I really like them, but it's certainly a downgrade from an RX so drive one if you haven't. My folks own a current gen RAV4 Limited Hybrid and I think it's fantastic and they have really enjoyed it. The hybrid version is much more refined than the gas only version, and the limited versions come with lots of great features.
I've actually haven't driven a hybrid version but I have driven a gas limited. It is pretty much fully loaded except the HUD which I like having but it's not a deal breaker either. I'm just contemplating it because I get good money for my RX and if I add like 6grand more I get a brand new car.
Old 03-17-23 | 05:41 AM
Jsmc86
10th Gear

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
- i think rav4 is a bit smaller than the rx, and imo not as nice inside
+ obviously fuel economy will be better with the hybrid.
+ since your rx is already 6 years old and 70k km ithe rav4 is going to cost less over the next 10 yrs on maintenance.

so you have to decide how these factors matter to you.

have you considered a new nx?
I have and I've driven one. It is pretty nice but it's on the 60s if I want a fully loaded one and I'm trying to not have car payments. But yes, maintenance will be better for the next ten years with the rav4
Old 03-17-23 | 05:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jsmc86
Currently own a 2017 Lexus rx350 with 70000 kms. Toyota dealer is offering me $46k for the car to trade it for a 2023 Rav 4 limited hybrid ($49500 plus taxes, so like $53 total) In theory I should only have to play like $6000-$7000 difference. My Lexus is paid off. Wondering if the trade is worth it? I'm planning to keep either car for at least 10 years. Wondering if the trade is worth it? I know it's a Lexus forum but I would still like neutral feedback.
thanks
what is the reason you are think of switching? It’s a downgrade in power train as you are going from a V6 to I4 hybrid that will start and stop a lot. A different experience altogether.

The RX is paid off…so what is the reason?
Old 03-17-23 | 06:04 AM
Jsmc86
10th Gear

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
what is the reason you are think of switching? It’s a downgrade in power train as you are going from a V6 to I4 hybrid that will start and stop a lot. A different experience altogether.

The RX is paid off…so what is the reason?
Honestly just the fact the dealer is giving me good money for it and for few more grands more I get a new car that will cost less in maintenance over the next ten years. But yes, definitely the idea of "downgrading" makes me wonder
Old 03-17-23 | 06:07 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

if it's about money, doing nothing is best. as you've said, to get the rav4 is still 6-7k. your rx only has 70k km which is nothing.
but sounds like you're asking because you're not sure if the rav4 is good move or maybe because you do like it a lot, i don't know. if you're not sure, then don't do it.
for me, i have to really like something to get it. and i'll stretch the budget rather than get something just because it seems to be a 'good deal', but everyone's different. we can rationalize anything.
Old 03-17-23 | 06:20 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

I've actually haven't driven a hybrid version but I have driven a gas limited. It is pretty much fully loaded except the HUD which I like having but it's not a deal breaker either. I'm just contemplating it because I get good money for my RX and if I add like 6grand more I get a brand new car.
If you are ok with going from an RX to a RAV4, personally, I would do it based on those numbers. If you are going to regret downgrading, and your intent is to drive the car for 10 years, I'd pass.
Old 03-17-23 | 06:23 AM
Jsmc86
10th Gear

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
if it's about money, doing nothing is best. as you've said, to get the rav4 is still 6-7k. your rx only has 70k km which is nothing.
but sounds like you're asking because you're not sure if the rav4 is good move or maybe because you do like it a lot, i don't know. if you're not sure, then don't do it.
for me, i have to really like something to get it. and i'll stretch the budget rather than get something just because it seems to be a 'good deal', but everyone's different. we can rationalize anything.
Yes you're right. I'm unsure because I get good money for my RX otherwise I wouldn't even contemplate it. That's why I'm asking around for opinions, to make the best sense before doing anything.
Old 03-17-23 | 06:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Yes you're right. I'm unsure because I get good money for my RX otherwise I wouldn't even contemplate it. That's why I'm asking around for opinions, to make the best sense before doing anything.
well these decisions are rarely about the 'best sense'. and as i said, the best move financially is to do nothing.
Old 03-17-23 | 06:35 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Honestly just the fact the dealer is giving me good money for it and for few more grands more I get a new car that will cost less in maintenance over the next ten years. But yes, definitely the idea of "downgrading" makes me wonder
you are gonna regret it. Your V6 is superior to the I4. And IMO, $49K is a A LOT of money for a 4 banger. Maintenance will be a wash. No hybrid components on your Lexus to break of service. No start stop to live with and you can’t defeat that. If you were gonna get into a V6 Highlander….that would be a different story.
Old 03-17-23 | 06:45 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

you are gonna regret it. Your V6 is superior to the I4. And IMO, $49K is a A LOT of money for a 4 banger. Maintenance will be a wash. No hybrid components on your Lexus to break of service. No start stop to live with and you can’t defeat that. If you were gonna get into a V6 Highlander….that would be a different story.
To be clear though, start/stop in a hybrid is NOTHING like start/stop in a gas only vehicle. I hate it in gas only vehicles, and I can't even notice it in our hybrid. You don't have to wait for it to restart to get moving and it's very seamless.
Old 03-17-23 | 06:55 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
You don't have to wait for it to restart to get moving and it's very seamless.
But it is not perfectly seamless. You can still feel and hear it somewhat. You can also hear the electric motor when driving slowly. Especially when reversing when the gas is off. This is very prevalent in the RAV and HL.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-17-23 at 07:22 AM.
Old 03-17-23 | 09:22 AM
Jsmc86
10th Gear

Oh for sure. That's why I'm taking my time and taking all inputs into consideration and asking around to make the right choice.

Quick Reply: Deciding between keeping Rx or trading it for a rav4