Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2024 Toyota Tacoma (920B Program)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-23, 06:27 AM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmaker1
An April reveal is nothing shocking, as this is Toyota modus operandi and typical of marketing in most of the industry. Sales of an 8-year old vehicle matter, but not so much when its buyers are fixated on reliability and not being a guinea pig. Wasn't a problem in January 2015 against September 11, 2015 launch. The 2023 RX comes to mind, if not 2023 Sequoia revealed even longer before availability. Toyota is less worried about that than Honda and ah, gasp...Ford.

That being said, I can see that this forum (of a few), one YouTuber out of many, and laughably no media entities, know when the reveal is. I deliberately wanted to test the credibility of many journalists and see if they can figure out what Toyota is planning to do on their own for once, since they have been spreading around so much misinformation for the better part of 3 years on this truck and making my efforts 10x harder than they should be, no thanks to the confusion they keep creating with dumb rumors.

There will be another teaser most likely tomorrow or Tuesday, leading up to what should be reveal around April 5, 2023.

Of course! Appreciate that. I know this is a Lexus forum, but as an owner of one of these trucks and the fact it's closely related to the GX, thought it might be of interest hopefully. I've been discussing truck in some capacity for 6-7 years now, before media even caught up with me LOL.

I believe it has adopted coil springs. I am seeing some inconsistencies between my sources (Tier 1 suppliers vs TMNA umbrella & dealer GMs/owners) regarding powertrains and new codes of silence. Most say I'm right, while Tier 1 guy and supply chain is contradicting my insight with some misguided focus on 1 engine corporate says will not be the only option. Ughh

Thank you, nice to hear from you. Hope my typos are not making it hard to follow. It's been over 8 years since the last one came out and 19 years since the last major redesign occurred. While I had hoped for a totally different looking truck for once, to go with the all new frame and suspension, they erred on the side of caution and kept it extremely familiar on purpose. Just feels great to both predicted a lot of things on this truck very early (years ago), as well as get some very good insight from many people working on it or with access to not-so-public info. I love beating the media to the punch, as I wish they would go as in-depth as I try to and cover as many bases.

I had been speculating a lineup of NX 350 engine, Hybrid Max, and V35A-FTS privately, which I refused to say publicly without confirming it to be true. Toyota did test the Tundra engine in prototype Tacomas and 4Runners, because trucks executive chief engineer Mike Sweers wanted to offer the V35A-FTS in range topping trim levels, like the TRD Pro. Toyota Global HQ directed TMNA to reject the request and forced them to work with Hybrid Max and look into PHEV instead. I remember that the Sequoia and Tundra were also supposed to include both UR and TTV8 as a TRD Pro exclusive. Same result.

Any new V6 in these midsizers, will be only exclusive to Land Cruiser or Lexus based vehicles allegedly on these ladder frames. Any other V6, will strictly be carryover, even though the 1GR will run through 2027 in some vehicles, but that doesn't include the 4Runner. V6 development is done, in terms of new blocks. GR will die in 2027 and not be replaced. UR V8 probably by then as well.

The 2GR-FKS seems to be staying for the near future in Tacoma, something which never made sense to me when I learned about that last year from a Plano contact. It made me shut up about my expectations of a Dynamic Force engine lineup, similar to the Tundra (TTV6 and turbo 4 are all Dynamic Force, so are Camry and RAV4 engines).

I would've thought Toyota wanted to phase out all non-Dynamic Force engines, such as the GR V6s and UR V8s. All of the current 4 cylinders are post-2015 new designs, while only one Toyota gas 6-cylinder is Dynamic Force and that's the TTV6 only. The other is the 3.3L turbodiesel in the LX 500d and Land Cruiser FJA300. No V8s are, except the upcoming high performance V8TT.

I don't know about the long bed unfortunately, so I don't want to speculate on that. Hopefully they kept it on TNGA-F
Your post are so detailed and filled with a wealth of information and insight. Always excited to see a post made by you.

Question, you said "No V8s are, except the upcoming high performance V8TT". Not sure if it was you, but didn't you or a good source say the V8TT was cancelled? or was it just the LC-F cancelled?
Old 03-27-23, 09:09 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaze876
Your post are so detailed and filled with a wealth of information and insight. Always excited to see a post made by you.

Question, you said "No V8s are, except the upcoming high performance V8TT". Not sure if it was you, but didn't you or a good source say the V8TT was cancelled? or was it just the LC-F cancelled?
Thanks Blaze! Glad it's useful to someone LOL, that's the idea (since the news media doesn't want to fill in any blanks for car enthusiasts). Yes, around the time I first created this thread back in 2021, I mentioned that LC-F was indeed cancelled for good and that the rumors of it being restarted were false, but that maybe it became LC F Sport Performance. Something like that is too powerful to be an LC 500 F Sport Performance, it would need to be called LC 600 or something. The whole Lexus nomenclature is stupid for the SUVs, which complicates things for the cars big time. LX 600 should be LX 500 and LX 700h, should be LX 600h.

Lexus people have been seeing this car behind closed doors for awhile, but I can believe that Lexus USA was actually just showing the stillborn LC F as a trophy to display what could've become. The LFR that is said to be coming, likely took this engine I guess.
Old 03-28-23, 08:46 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Default Debuting on Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Came across this while struggling to go back to sleep from lag. I was very close, but happy to be right about the date range and a lot of info on this. Thanks a great deal to a bunch of great people at Toyota USA keeping me informed along the way. Vloggers and journalists are probably on their way to be shooting some new segments.

View this post on Instagram

Last edited by Carmaker1; 03-28-23 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-28-23, 08:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Came across this while struggling to go back to sleep from lag. I was very close, but happy to be right about the date range and a lot of info on this. Thanks a great deal to a bunch of great people at Toyota USA keeping me informed along the way. Vloggers and journalists are probably on their way to be shooting some new segments.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CqVc93QM..._web_copy_link
What are you posting?

this is what opens on your link

Old 03-28-23, 09:15 AM
Blaze876
Advanced

Thanks Blaze! Glad it's useful to someone LOL, that's the idea (since the news media doesn't want to fill in any blanks for car enthusiasts). Yes, around the time I first created this thread back in 2021, I mentioned that LC-F was indeed cancelled for good and that the rumors of it being restarted were false, but that maybe it became LC F Sport Performance. Something like that is too powerful to be an LC 500 F Sport Performance, it would need to be called LC 600 or something. The whole Lexus nomenclature is stupid for the SUVs, which complicates things for the cars big time. LX 600 should be LX 500 and LX 700h, should be LX 600h.

Lexus people have been seeing this car behind closed doors for awhile, but I can believe that Lexus USA was actually just showing the stillborn LC F as a trophy to display what could've become. The LFR that is said to be coming, likely took this engine I guess.
I have been following your posts for years but never gave you your flowers. I usually just hop onto your profile from time to time to find updates lol. Thanks for the clarification. I have been out of the loop and thought all V8 development from toyota / lexus was no longer in the plans. Good to see a possibility of a V8TT.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What are you posting?

Look on page 2 of the IG post, it has the new gen tacoma blurred (barely visible in the background). Also has the date on license plate 040423. Like Carmaker mentioned, there would be a next teaser either Monday or Tuesday, and without fail there it is.
Old 03-28-23, 09:17 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Look on page 2 of the IG post, it has the new gen tacoma blurred (barely visible in the background). Like Carmaker mentioned, there would be a next teaser either Monday or Tuesday, and without fail there it is.

Thanks. But it could be anything

first think that came to mind was Highlander Sport

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-28-23 at 12:55 PM.
CBZ
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think 040423 is the launch date?

long time lurker, 1st time posting....
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What are you posting?

Look at the license plate
Old 03-28-23, 09:18 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Look at the license plate

Good call. Thanks.
Old 03-28-23, 09:46 AM
gor134
Intermediate

Also the caption... "Patented good looks"... Ha!
Old 03-28-23, 09:51 AM
gor134
Intermediate

I just noticed.. the "Brazilian Patent Office" on the building in the background LOL Toyota just playing around now haha
Old 03-28-23, 10:03 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by gor134
I just noticed.. the "Brazilian Patent Office" on the building in the background LOL Toyota just playing around now haha

​​​​​​LOL!! Nice to see they have a sense of humor.
Old 03-29-23, 08:12 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

I have been following your posts for years but never gave you your flowers. I usually just hop onto your profile from time to time to find updates lol. Thanks for the clarification. I have been out of the loop and thought all V8 development from toyota / lexus was no longer in the plans. Good to see a possibility of a V8TT.

Look on page 2 of the IG post, it has the new gen tacoma blurred (barely visible in the background). Also has the date on license plate 040423. Like Carmaker mentioned, there would be a next teaser either Monday or Tuesday, and without fail there it is.
Thanks Blaze, after some new discoveries that have been made and alerted to me, I don't think I deserve any of that. Somehow, I have provided misleading information on this truck without realizing it and while this is thankfully instead a Lexus space and it won't sting as much, it will destroy any credibility I have going forward. Easier for me to permanently log off, as I should know better than trust any information not printed on Toyota Motor North America documentation or from official press channels. I unfortunately just discovered it on my lunch break, after being warned by a leading insider 2 weeks ago. I never learn from certain past mistakes clearly. Always have 5 internal sources, before confirming anything.

On a less dramatic note, I did notice immediately that this was actually from the press materials for the 2016 Tacoma Limited, the photo taken on the exact date of July 28, 2015 at 6:36 AM and the building is actually Simply Seattle, 1600 1st Ave, Seattle, Washington. Here's a street view from that time period even.

2016 Toyota Tacoma V6 4x4 Double Cab Short Bed Limited Press Image - July 28, 2015 6:36 AM

Pine and 1st Avenue, Seattle, Washington August 2015

Toyota USA March 28, 2023 Toyota Tacoma Teaser
Old 03-29-23, 09:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Somehow, I have provided misleading information on this truck without realizing it and while this is thankfully instead a Lexus space and it won't sting as much, it will destroy any credibility I have going forward.

Don't lose any sleep over it, Carmaker. We all make errors or slip-ups sometimes.....especially in my case, with almost 90,000 posts. You always were, and remain, a credible source of information here on CL.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-01-23 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-29-23, 10:14 PM
Blaze876
Advanced

Thanks Blaze, after some new discoveries that have been made and alerted to me, I don't think I deserve any of that. Somehow, I have provided misleading information on this truck without realizing it and while this is thankfully instead a Lexus space and it won't sting as much, it will destroy any credibility I have going forward. Easier for me to permanently log off, as I should know better than trust any information not printed on Toyota Motor North America documentation or from official press channels. I unfortunately just discovered it on my lunch break, after being warned by a leading insider 2 weeks ago. I never learn from certain past mistakes clearly. Always have 5 internal sources, before confirming anything.

On a less dramatic note, I did notice immediately that this was actually from the press materials for the 2016 Tacoma Limited, the photo taken on the exact date of July 28, 2015 at 6:36 AM and the building is actually Simply Seattle, 1600 1st Ave, Seattle, Washington. Here's a street view from that time period even.

2016 Toyota Tacoma V6 4x4 Double Cab Short Bed Limited Press Image - July 28, 2015 6:36 AM

Toyota USA March 28, 2023 Toyota Tacoma Teaser
The misleading information you're referring to is in reference to the press materials from 2016? Or perhaps the powertrain options? (Shocked they were carryover the v6).

Don't be so hard on yourself. No one gets it 100%. Would be a loss to the forum if you no longer post.

Quick Reply: 2024 Toyota Tacoma (920B Program)