Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2024 Toyota Tacoma (920B Program)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-23, 04:39 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Looks great! First thing I would do is tear the black plastic under bumper cladding off
The offroad trims don't come with the air dam. Just the "city slicker" models, like the Limited and the TRD Sport.
Old 05-20-23, 04:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I am still stunned by full time 4WD.
i still don't understand this distinction/benefit. 4wd presumably means delivering power to all 4 wheels all the time, but why is that a good thing if it isn't needed, and it impacts fuel economy. "awd" vehicles deliver torque where it's needed. why is this so 'bad' compared to "full time 4WD"?

also, is the full time 4wd only available with the hybrid max power option? if so, presumably one pair of wheels is powered by battery only? if so, you only get "full time 4wd" until the battery is drained.
Old 05-20-23, 06:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
The offroad trims don't come with the air dam. Just the "city slicker" models, like the Limited and the TRD Sport.
I'm sure that removes too

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i still don't understand this distinction/benefit. 4wd presumably means delivering power to all 4 wheels all the time, but why is that a good thing if it isn't needed, and it impacts fuel economy. "awd" vehicles deliver torque where it's needed. why is this so 'bad' compared to "full time 4WD"?
Not really.

My S560 for instance is AWD, it is always AWD and never fully RWD, Lexus sedans were the same way. Most systems don't revert to fulltime 2WD. I can only think of a few that do. AWD is superior for handling and acceleration too, its not just for poor weather or offroad driving. In a pickup you have a lot of rear wheel slipping on acceleration even in the dry because of the open bed.

"AWD" and "4WD" are really used interchangeably...
Old 05-20-23, 07:41 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Old 05-20-23, 10:28 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,204 Likes on 893 Posts

This further convinces me that Toyota doesn't care about the full size truck market and this segment is the one they take seriously instead.
Old 05-20-23, 10:30 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
This further convinces me that Toyota doesn't care about the full size truck market and this segment is the one they take seriously instead.
explain? …..
Old 05-20-23, 11:26 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 295 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

What is AWD?

Most all-wheel-drive, or AWD, systems let your vehicle automatically decide when to drive all four wheels. They’re adaptable, balancing fuel economy and traction needs without the driver having to think about what the vehicle is doing.

AWD highlights

• Thinks for itself, so you can focus on driving
  • Balances fuel economy and extra traction
  • Designed for paved roads but can handle some light-duty off-roading
  • Available on a wide selection of cars, crossovers, and SUVs

What is 4WD?

Most four-wheel-drive (sometimes written as 4WD or 4x4) vehicles link the front and rear wheels together, splitting power evenly between them. They’re tough, but more limited in their usefulness on paved roads, where they usually power only the rear wheels.

4WD highlights

Old 05-20-23, 11:58 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

The Tacoma is very popular with off-road crowds, and for off-roading a part-time transfer case is superior to a full-time center differential. Period.

Stop trying to make pickup trucks into AWD sports cars or subarus. Actual pickup truck owners don't want this.

Old 05-20-23, 12:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
The Tacoma is very popular with off-road crowds, and for off-roading a part-time transfer case is superior to a full-time center differential. Period..

The best rigs always use/offer full time 4WD

G-wagon. Land Cruiser. Land Cruiser Prado. Lexus GX, Lexus LX. 4Runner. FJ Cruiser. Land Rover. Nissan Patrol…they all use or have used a full time 4WD which is completely different to awd. All of these models are equipped with a center differential lock to lock them 50/50 which makes the equivalent of a part time system locked.

Lock a part-time 4Runner TRD Pro in 4H and lock either of my 4Runner Limited full-time 4WD with the centre diff lock and they are both the same 50/50 locked 4WD. NO DIFFERENCE

GM, Ford, and Dodge all used to offer full time 4WD as a non added or sometimes an added cost option above and beyond their standard part-time systems. But that all stopped in the 1970s and 1980s

a big kudos to Toyota for stepping up and offering full time 4WD in the new Tacoma. Completely surprised me as they do a lot of boneheaded moves in the USA trucks

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-20-23 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-20-23, 12:51 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

explain? …..
The Tundra is a joke vs its rivals but this is actually great and I would want one even with the choice of powertrain.

The Tacoma has features that are great and the overall package is also very nice vs all rivals for both capability as well as actual engineering. The Tundra is not in any way something I would consider when I have the big three to pick from or the prior gen truck.
Old 05-20-23, 12:54 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
The Tacoma is very popular with off-road crowds, and for off-roading a part-time transfer case is superior to a full-time center differential. Period.

Stop trying to make pickup trucks into AWD sports cars or subarus. Actual pickup truck owners don't want this.
Correct but you totally can have it all, it is entirely possible to have RWD, AWD, 4x4 hi, and low in one car. My Jeep, Sequoia, truck, and my dads GM all have it and you can pick what you want to use.

A real AWD system is the same as a 4x4 system with a center diff, when you lock the 4x4 system then it is different than straight AWD in that you will have a forced power split regardless of traction. If you lose all traction at one axle you will still have power to the other unlike an open AWD system that will just channel all power to the spinner. Then if you add lockers to each axle you have real 4x4 where each wheel is forced to always move.

An active AWD system is also different than both of them, something like an Audi is an active system as are higher end BMWs/Mercedes/etc since they have Torson center diffs that you can't disable or truly lock. The power spilt will be adjusted in real time non-reactively but there is a transfer limit, these systems are real AWD and usually come with active diffs on high end cars to allow full control.

Problem is people are so stupid/never read the manual it's easier just give them AWD with no controls and for cost reasons an "on demand" system is even better.

Last edited by Striker223; 05-20-23 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-20-23, 02:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Correct but you totally can have it all, it is entirely possible to have RWD, AWD, 4x4 hi, and low in one car. My Jeep, Sequoia, truck, and my dads GM all have it and you can pick what you want to use.

A real AWD system is the same as a 4x4 system with a center diff, when you lock the 4x4 system then it is different than straight AWD in that you will have a forced power split regardless of traction. If you lose all traction at one axle you will still have power to the other unlike an open AWD system that will just channel all power to the spinner. Then if you add lockers to each axle you have real 4x4 where each wheel is forced to always move.

An active AWD system is also different than both of them, something like an Audi is an active system as are higher end BMWs/Mercedes/etc since they have Torson center diffs that you can't disable or truly lock. The power spilt will be adjusted in real time non-reactively but there is a transfer limit, these systems are real AWD and usually come with active diffs on high end cars to allow full control.

Problem is people are so stupid/never read the manual it's easier just give them AWD with no controls and for cost reasons an "on demand" system is even better.

The Sequoia you have doesn’t have awd and 4Hi. It has only 4HI and 4LO. Same with both my SUVs but my are always 4HI
Old 05-20-23, 02:10 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

The Sequoia you have doesn’t have awd and 4Hi. It has only 4HI and 4LO. Same with both my SUVs but my are always 4H
No I have AWD, I have to opt to lock the center diff for real 4x4 otherwise it's an AWD system. Without the center lock a 4x4 car is a basic AWD....
Old 05-20-23, 02:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

No I have AWD, I have to opt to lock the center diff for real 4x4 otherwise it's an AWD system.
You have 4HI. You always have 4HI. But you can lock 4HI or keep 4HI. This is what I have. Look at the switch. There is no awd to 4HI…it’s always 4HI..there is 4HI and 4HI with the centre diff locked. For your Toyota Sequoia
Old 05-20-23, 02:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

i can see 'full time 4wd' like on trucks being more rugged for towing and serious off roading, but besides that, is there any benefit?

even my santa fe awd has the center lock button

Quick Reply: 2024 Toyota Tacoma (920B Program)