Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

20's on a VW?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-03, 09:34 PM
mcnelson
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20's on a VW?

Ok, my buddy has got a 2000 VW Jetta VR6 and we are debating if he can put 20's on it or not, I say no. We also were wondering about on a VW Passat? The other debate was which would be better his 2.6l V6 or go with the 1.8 Turbo? What are the advantages/disadvantages of both? And can you put a loud BOV on a stock turbo such as the 1.8T? Thanks
Old 10-27-03, 09:47 PM
NRG
Lead Lap

black mesh enkie wheels @ 17"
say no to 20". they only below on cars with big wheel well like. g35, 350z, and many lexus.
Old 10-27-03, 09:53 PM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Car Chat Forum
Old 10-27-03, 09:54 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by NRG
black mesh enkie wheels @ 17"
say no to 20". they only below on cars with big wheel well like. g35, 350z, and many lexus.
i agree with you on that, but i think the question is, will 20's fit on his VW?
Old 10-27-03, 09:57 PM
mcnelson
Lexus Test Driver

I know that 20's are "the thing to have" and all, but thats a small car for 20's even the Passat is kinda small. If anyone has pics of either on 20's please post them.
Old 10-27-03, 10:24 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up no

20's are the thing to have if they look good, fit well, and accent your car properly. Just cause they bling don't mean you got to have them. nice 18 inch on a jetta would set it off. 19 maybe
Old 10-27-03, 10:58 PM
rex_racer
Driver School Candidate

unless he never plans on dropping it then he'll never get away with 20s. 19s are really the max that you can put on the car, and 18s are what most ppl do for the MKIV series of VWs. on a passat most will run with 19s and the occasional 20 comes up every now and then. keep in mind that big wheels don't always fit the car, sometimes the car just looked way outta proportion compared to wheels that large, ie the only ppl that give you props for running wheels that big are umm....yeah....

he's got a 2.8L btw, no such thing as a 2.6L... you cannot fit a BOV to the Audi/VW 1.8T motors, not w/o throwing a CEL and quickly setting the car into limp mode. if you're cool with running w/o a MAF sensor then go ahead, but the car won't pull as strong as when you had it plugged in. if you are just going for the sound get a nice CAI system, that'll make the BOV noise that you are going after. stick with a DV or a plumback BOV if you want the car to run... just get a CAI for the BOV noise.

the VR6 has a smoother torquier engine but after basic bolt on mods of intake and exhuast you start running outta options. you can either pop the head and drop in cams or go FI. with the 1.8T you have a lot more room to play. you got the typical bolt ons, chip tuning, which comes with a change in boost, FMIC, DP sizing etc etc, just a tottaly diff field when u add a turbo to the equation. in pure bolt on perspective the VR6 will get its but wiped by the 1.8T. now if the VR6 spends some money then the VR not only has the sound that only a VR can make but also a whole lot more power and a refined motor.
Old 10-27-03, 11:03 PM
LeXsGs3
Rookie

I had a 2000 VW Passat that's what I traded in for my GS300, and no you can't do 20's on the Passat nor the Jetta. Too big. If you do 19's, people end up rolling their fenders to prevent rub. If someone has done 20's they had to have done major work too get them to roll properly. IMHO I think 20's are too big for the Passat anyhow.

Here's a Pic of my Passat

Before I traded her in. I liked it, but I love my GS much better
Old 10-28-03, 07:10 AM
mcnelson
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks guys. Yeah I meant 2.8 not 2.6 sorry. Anyway, I will tell him about the whole turbo thing. Since he has the VR6 he doesnt have turbo anyway and was going to put on a cold air intakeI personally would go with the 1.8T than his VR6.
Old 10-28-03, 08:27 AM
LeXsGs3
Rookie

Go with the 1.8T by far. It is way more mod friendly than the VR6. You can get a real bang for your buck if he gets an APR or GIAC chip, get's quite a few horses for little money. Besides the 1.8T has better durability than the NA 6 cylinders
Old 10-28-03, 08:53 AM
mcnelson
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by LeXsGs3
Go with the 1.8T by far. It is way more mod friendly than the VR6. You can get a real bang for your buck if he gets an APR or GIAC chip, get's quite a few horses for little money. Besides the 1.8T has better durability than the NA 6 cylinders
can he get a cheip for his VR6 that is what he has, we were just curious about the options of the 1.8T if he ever really wanted to sell his and get the turbo instead.
Old 10-28-03, 10:47 AM
LeXsGs3
Rookie

Originally posted by mcnelson
can he get a cheip for his VR6 that is what he has, we were just curious about the options of the 1.8T if he ever really wanted to sell his and get the turbo instead.
yeah, GIAC makes a chip for the vr6, although, I believe you can get more power out of a 1.8T for the same $$$. It is the same 1.8T engine found in th Audi A4's. Very versitile engine.

there's a plethora of information at vwvortex.com on vr6's and 1.8t's
Old 10-28-03, 10:48 AM
LexFather

they only below on cars with big wheel well like. g35, 350z, and many lexus.
No they look ridiculous on those cars too. 20s belong on trucks and EXPENSIVE cars. They should not be on cheap cars nor look forced to fit.

Do u want people to notice the WHEELS or the CAR?
Ok, my buddy has got a 2000 VW Jetta VR6 and we are debating if he can put 20's on it or not, I say no. We also were wondering about on a VW Passat? The other debate was which would be better his 2.6l V6 or go with the 1.8 Turbo? What are the advantages/disadvantages of both? And can you put a loud BOV on a stock turbo such as the 1.8T? Thanks
Tell your friend hell no. It would look ignorant. VWs look awesome done right with a drop and some 18s.

Old 10-28-03, 11:57 AM
cyberseano
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I AGREE 100% with 1SICKLEX

Tell your friend to stop watching MTV and build his car right!!
or buy a car that looks like it was meant to have 20's
Old 10-28-03, 12:02 PM
rex_racer
Driver School Candidate

dollar for dollar the 1.8T has much more potential for power and will be more reliable in the long run. but don't discount the VR6, the VR6 has a lot of pluses the 1.8T will never have. ie more low end tq and an exhuast note that is just amazing. but the 1.8T does have more potential. oh and you can only get climatronic with the VR6, that and the trip computer. add a charger to a VR6 and at 300HP you should be pretty happy. can't use much more than that on a small car for the street.

Quick Reply: 20's on a VW?