Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2024 Sonata Gains Futuristic Look

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-23, 08:35 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
Default 2024 Sonata Gains Futuristic Look

The eighth-generation Hyundai Sonata isn't going down without a fight. The current car (seen in the video below) debuted in 2019 with a daring face that the press appreciated for countering the anonymity of midsize sedan segment. Car buyers, on the other hand, might not have been convinced. Company bosses suspect the Sonata's unconventional looks have been a factor in the sedan's sales woes in the U.S. and South Korea. Sonata sales exceeded six figures in the U.S. from 2004 to 2018, being close to or surpassing 200,000 annual sales from 2010 to 2016. In 2022, dealers here moved just 55,131 units. Amid stories that there won't be a ninth-generation Sonata, Hyundai's giving the current car another chance to impress with new front and rear clips and a revamped interior.

The design language called Sensuous Sportiness is here just "The Sportiness." A "seamless horizon lamp" establishes the new attitude, both it and the grille beneath running the width of the car. The standard Sonata and N-Line both look crisp and taut, with headlights seated in black inserts fading into the overall fascia design. They're told apart by slightly different grille mesh and a bit more black trim on the racy model.

In back, a reshaped trunk opening and straight lines create a more technical stance, accentuated by the new "H-lamp." This is a pair of vertical lights for the taillamps, connected by a full-width light bar. The rounded outlines in the current car's lower rear bumper have been sharpened into muffler-like shapes on the standard trim, cutout to fit quad pipes on the N-Line. That N-Line also gets a slightly more aggressive decklid spoiler plus a new set of 19-inch wheels.

Horizontals dominate the overhauled cabin, too. The separate gauge cluster and infotainment area are merged into a single curved display for the first time in a Hyundai. There's a 12.3-inch screen for the driver, another of the same size for infotainment. A full-length vent separates the center screen from the lower console. Designers moved the gear selector to the steering column, opening up the center tunnel area for a longer armrest and more storage beneath a richer-looking set of HVAC controls.

Hyundai will show the Sonata publicly at the Seoul Mobility Show on March 30 before launching the sedan globally.

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/03/26/...nata-redesign/
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1139168_2024-hyundai-sonata-redesign-revealed
​​​​​​​

Last edited by GFerg; 03-27-23 at 05:05 AM.
Old 03-26-23, 09:47 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

Good they got rid of the fish mouth. But now the straight-edge front styling theme does not match the swoopy, rounded greenhouse.
Old 03-26-23, 09:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Looks much better up front than that former grille.
Old 03-26-23, 09:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,343 Likes on 1,535 Posts

really like the front. the rear... eh.
the interior...
Old 03-27-23, 06:54 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Styling is cool - very nice refresh.

The interior continues the trend of $5 Alibaba screens and removal of physical shifter and most buttons. Bean counters are jumping for joy!
Old 03-27-23, 07:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
The interior continues the trend of $5 Alibaba screens and removal of physical shifter and most buttons. Bean counters are jumping for joy!
so much fail in this assessment.
Old 03-27-23, 07:21 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Front looks great Better than an Audi (Audi is what I first thought). Love the light bar I don’t recall liking a Hyundai front end like this in a long time. This new refresh will certainly light the fire in those die hard Hyundai fans hearts…this is great for sedans @mmarshall
Old 03-27-23, 07:24 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 715 Likes on 492 Posts

I do appreciate how far Hyundai/Kia are willing to go on their exterior refreshes. They don't all look great, but at least they take the risk
Old 03-27-23, 07:24 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
I do appreciate how far Hyundai/Kia are willing to go on their exterior refreshes. They don't all look great, but at least they take the risk
Yeah. I can see that. I agree. I think the new Palisade is really ugly. But it’s bold. Same with the wheel designs…they’ve made it their own
Old 03-27-23, 08:08 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
…this is great for sedans
Originally Posted by Allen K
Yea I agree here. The one thing I love about sedans is the freedom in design which is why for the most part I just can't get onboard with SUV's. You have the traditional sedan, 4 door coupes, hatchbacks, sportbacks, etc. With the SUV, they have to adhere to the lame 2 box design because utility (Walk a Costco parking lot and it's all the same crap with a different badge). If they veer off that then for the most part it ends up looking dumb like the X6 and the like.

But an argument can be made against that as the same company also makes the Ioniq5/EV6 which are marketed as SUV's but the profile really looks like large Golf hatchbacks. So maybe there is hope with the EV platform providing greater flexibility with the SUV design. Only time will tell.
Old 03-27-23, 08:12 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Front end looks fine. That interior is terrible! I don't know how anyone could think that looks good.
Old 03-27-23, 08:14 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I think this looks excellent. This refresh gives the Sonata a much more confident look.
Old 03-27-23, 08:33 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sm1ke
That interior is terrible! I don't know how anyone could think that looks good.
why do you think it's terrible? besides the seemingly odd curve or tilt of the middle screen to the driver which i'm not a fan of, i think it looks great (clean, functional).
Old 03-27-23, 09:33 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,232 Likes on 1,353 Posts

This looks really good except the back which is meh, and the Hyundai photo press wheels which I almost never like. Interior looks great!

SO much better than the current "sad fish" version, huge improvement.

Old 03-27-23, 09:39 AM
KennyFSU
Instructor

Received 310 Likes on 199 Posts

They've done a good job with the Elantra for the last few iterations. This one is no different; great job at the crooked H.

Quick Reply: 2024 Sonata Gains Futuristic Look