Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Can VW match Lexus in the eyes of Americans?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-03, 11:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default will VW compete with Lexus?

Once again, I gotta agreee with 1SICKLEX. VW's have significant reliability problems (Passat excluded....it has OK reliability). Yes, VW crafts a nice interior, with good detailing and fit-and-finish....ala Audi. But in the BIG things....engine and transmission durability...no way, Jose.
With the Phaeton, though, watch out....even though VW is not going to blow Lexus out of the water with this product, Mercedes and BMW have got some REAL real worrying to do. Mercedes build quality is in the cellar, Chris Bangle has ruined most of the more expensive BMW's with the idotic I-drive and frumpy styling, and VW now offers the consumer a plush V12 sedan with Geman enginering for HALF the price of Mercedes and BMW V12's. I'd say this one is a no-brainer....yes, it should sell. Reliability, of course, remains to be seen.
Old 11-08-03, 12:36 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

VW is too youth oriented, plus their quality problems as of late. I rode in a Jetta VR6, it's too Hyundai-like.