Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

March & 1st Quarter 2023 Sales Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-23, 07:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

dealer adms hurt the manufacturers if they can supply more.
Old 04-08-23, 08:45 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
It will hurt regardless. It will **** people off enough to swear off the brand entirely.
Old 04-08-23, 09:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
It will hurt regardless. It will **** people off enough to swear off the brand entirely.
i don't know about that. i would think people know the ADM is *dealer* specified so one can always shop at another dealer for the same brand. that happened with me with lexus a couple of times. with patience and flexibility i got what i wanted.

Old 04-08-23, 09:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

That's the real problem....the manufacturers, rather than the dealers. If the manufacturers had not cut back production so much, ADMs would not be much of an issue except for a very few vehicles. Two or three years ago, the manufacturers (perhaps validly) used the excuse of computer-chip shortages to justify the cutbacks. But, today, chip-shortages aren't that much of an issue anymore, yet the manufacturers still have not resumed normal production. It looks, at least on the surface, like production is deliberately and needlessly being kept down in an effort to keep prices high.
Old 04-09-23, 06:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's the real problem....the manufacturers, rather than the dealers. If the manufacturers had not cut back production so much, ADMs would not be much of an issue except for a very few vehicles. Two or three years ago, the manufacturers (perhaps validly) used the excuse of computer-chip shortages to justify the cutbacks. But, today, chip-shortages aren't that much of an issue anymore, yet the manufacturers still have not resumed normal production. It looks, at least on the surface, like production is deliberately and needlessly being kept down in an effort to keep prices high.
so if that's true, why would manufacturers want to hurt themselves? i think the counterpoint to what you say is that when manufacturers like ford and gm made absurd amounts of vehicles and 'stuffed' dealers to have huge lots of unsold cars, they just ended up having to give them huge incentives to sell them all, hurting everyone. they don't want to go back to that, even if it 'seemed' like a better situation for consumers.
Old 04-09-23, 07:46 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 388 Likes on 264 Posts

The manufacturers are producing less cars at higher profits - and they like it that way. The government wants them to produce less ICE cars anyway, look at the new EPA regulations coming out this week. That's the end for ICE. The funny part is that for GM and Ford, nobody is going to want their EVs, they make all their profits off large ICE trucks and SUVs, and when they can no longer sell those, they are going bankrupt. Who survives this shakeup, who knows. Clearly Tesla and BYD will dominate the future auto market. The premium names will survive because of their brand image, but the "run of the mill" brands are going to be in big trouble.
Old 04-09-23, 08:11 PM
situman
Pole Position

i don't know about that. i would think people know the ADM is *dealer* specified so one can always shop at another dealer for the same brand. that happened with me with lexus a couple of times. with patience and flexibility i got what i wanted.
When every Toyota dealer is slapping ADM's or force you to buy some kind of protection package to get what you want, it just forces people to look at other brands. I just dont understand how Tesla can churn out millions EVs with huge batteries but Toyota cant churn out a minivan with a battery perhaps 1/10th the size. Makes no sense to me other than Toyota deliberately limiting supply to increase profit margins at the expense of volume.
Old 04-09-23, 08:13 PM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
The manufacturers are producing less cars at higher profits - and they like it that way. The government wants them to produce less ICE cars anyway, look at the new EPA regulations coming out this week. That's the end for ICE. The funny part is that for GM and Ford, nobody is going to want their EVs, they make all their profits off large ICE trucks and SUVs, and when they can no longer sell those, they are going bankrupt. Who survives this shakeup, who knows. Clearly Tesla and BYD will dominate the future auto market. The premium names will survive because of their brand image, but the "run of the mill" brands are going to be in big trouble.
Well when these automakers have to lay off tens of thousands of workers and close factories, let's see how quickly these regulations change.
Old 04-11-23, 06:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Top 25 selling vehicles in q1​​​​​​https://www.caranddriver.com/news/g4...ing-cars-2023/
Old 04-11-23, 06:42 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Originally Posted by situman
Well when these automakers have to lay off tens of thousands of workers and close factories, let's see how quickly these regulations change.
My guess is that behind the scenes, Ford and GM have been promised government bailouts. The retiree plans will be bailed out, the current line workers will quietly be laid off, and both companies will just become shells that don't manufacture much, but sell China made EVs under US brand names.
Old 04-11-23, 08:27 AM
situman
Pole Position

My guess is that behind the scenes, Ford and GM have been promised government bailouts. The retiree plans will be bailed out, the current line workers will quietly be laid off, and both companies will just become shells that don't manufacture much, but sell China made EVs under US brand names.
That's a little farfetched but everyone is entitled to believe what they believe lol.
Old 04-11-23, 12:02 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Not sure the unions are going to go for that. That will essentially wipe them out. I guess we will see who is the more important, as it giving money and voting. The green energy movement or the unions. I've got my popcorn ready.
Old 04-11-23, 12:37 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Private sector union membership in the US is tiny in numbers, most US union members work for the government. Unions have zero political clout anymore in the US, they are all employed in states like MI that are already solidly in the (D) column. The retiree plans will be bailed out like they were the last time. Forced electrification benefits Tesla and China, that's not going to change.
Old 04-13-23, 10:07 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow Mb

https://media.mbusa.com/releases/rel...75701-vehicles

Mercedes-Benz USA reports Q1 2023 total sales of 75,701 vehicles

Share Save Download
Apr 12, 2023 – Atlanta
  • Electric Vehicles (EQ) sales growth of +251% in Q1 2023 compared to Q1 in 2022 with 7,341 units.
  • Electric Vehicle lineup comprises 12% of overall passenger vehicle sales in Q1 2023.
  • Strong Top-End segment up by 18% with 24,572 units.
  • Mercedes-AMG 55% growth in Q1 2023 compared to the same quarter last year.
Mercedes-Benz USA (MBUSA) today reported Q1 2023 sales of 61,531 Mercedes-Benz models. Additionally, Mercedes-Benz Vans reported Q1 2023 sales of 14,170 units, bringing MBUSA to a total of 75,701 vehicles for the quarter. MBUSA has introduced five Electric Vehicles (EQ) in the Mercedes-Benz electric line-up, including EQS Sedan, EQS SUV, EQB, EQE Sedan and the EQE SUV at the end of Q1. Strong, sustained demand for EQ and Top-End vehicles propelled Q1 Top-End growth of 18% for a total of 24,572 vehicles.

"Strong demand and customer desire for our newly introduced EQ models as well as Top-End vehicles combined to propel our results in the first quarter. We expect to further strengthen our position in the luxury SUV segment with the all-new EQE SUV, our second fully-electric SUV built in Alabama, and the upcoming all-electric Mercedes-Maybach EQS SUV."
Dimitris Psillakis, President and CEO of Mercedes-Benz USA

Top-End:

Sales in the Top-End segment rose to 24,572 units an increase of 18% in Q1 2023 compared to Q1 2022. Sales for Mercedes-AMG high-performance models totalled 10,818 units, an increase of 55% versus Q1 2022. Demand for the G-Class remains consistently high with sales up 40% from the comparable quarter in 2022, with 2,682 units. The fully electric EQS SUV posted 2,413 units Q1 2023.

Core:

Sales in the Core segment reached 25,346 units. Sales of the C-class and CLA saw dramatic increases at the start of 2023. With numerous innovations and upgraded standard equipment, the CLA saw an increase of +138% compared to Q1 2022 with 2,530 units sold. The C-Class sold 7,464 units in Q1 2023, which is an 1,411% increase from Q1 2022. The fully electric EQE Sedan attracted 1,308 new customers in Q1 2023.

Entry:

Sales in the Entry segment reached 11,613 units. Released in summer 2022, the fully electric EQB recorded 1,537 unit sales, leading the way for entry-level EQ and a 64% increase from Q4 2022. Both, the GLB and GLA saw strong demand in Q1 2023. GLB sales totalled 4,302 units, an increase of 22% to the comparable quarter last year, and GLA sales totalled 4,250 units, an increase of 74% to the comparable quarter last year.

Separately, Mercedes-Benz Certified Pre-Owned (MBCPO) models recorded sales of 33,973 vehicles during the first quarter of 2023, an increase of 3% versus Q1 2022.

# # #

About Mercedes-Benz
Mercedes-Benz USA (MBUSA), headquartered in Atlanta, is responsible for the distribution, marketing and customer service for all Mercedes-Benz products in the United States. MBUSA offers drivers the most diverse line-up in the luxury segment with 18 model lines ranging from the sporty GLA SUV to the flagship S-Class and the dynamic all-electric Mercedes-EQ family. MBUSA is also responsible for Mercedes-Benz Vans in the U.S. More information on MBUSA and its products can be found at
www.mbusa.com
and www.mbvans.com.

Accredited journalists can visit our media site at media.mbusa.com.
Old 04-14-23, 05:58 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

The G class aside - alot of these AMG purchases are coming because you cannot get a Porsche without a near 2 year wait, they are losing sales to MB because they can't produce enough cars.