Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

It's that time....

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-23, 03:34 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Great choice among the different cars you considered. What I can’t believe is how you held out not telling us for so long since you put the deposit down last October. I would’ve spilled the beans long time ago.
Old 04-04-23, 05:28 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
hell to the yes. congrats!

my only question is how much traffic do you have to drive in. when i had my stick sedan in atlanta that i'd moved with me from PA, it didn't last long, just couldn't do it.
then i made the move to a gs400 (hello!).
i did get a miata stick as a fun spare car in '07, and that was an absolute joy to drive, for relatively short distances though, and where i live no in FL didn't have much traffic at all back then (more now).
Not much driving in traffic, now that I no longer commute. Lots of shorter errand-runs, some mid-distance drives to games and long-distance to tournaments. I do have about 185,000 miles behind a clutch, between my Dakota pickup and E46, of course I was younger and more limber then. If the 335d had been available with a manual, I absolutely would have went that route when I got it.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
anyway, love the car, well except the beaver grill but black on gray makes it less noticeable.
Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I’m not a big fan of the styling on the G8x cars but I’m sure the performance will be great.
Originally Posted by Margate330
The grill, hmmm, yeah me too. lol
But I could learn to love it if the car is as awesome as it looks.
Yeah, I knew the grille wouldn't be universally loved. The more I've seen it since launch, the more I really do like the aggressiveness of it. The only part I'm not 100% enamored with is the gloss black slats, so I'll probably be replacing the insert at some point with a CF one, in either the GT style:

or the CSL style:

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Unless I missed it - is there a reason you didn’t get the new 911?
They have enough room inside and can be had in coupe or convertible.
Just WAY more than I'm comfortable spending. When I was looking at the 718s, a highly-equipped Spyder was in the 115-120k range (MSRP), which was already well past where I wanted to be. A 911 S Cabrio with a manual optioned the way I'd like it is $170k. The T is slightly cheaper, but not available as a convertible.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Congratulations., and best of luck with it.
Based on that criteria, and to save money at a reasonable price, I was going to recommend a new Miata...few cars of any type are more fun to drive, and connects the driver to the road, if you are not a speed freak. The manual top-up/down procedure is also ingeniously quick and simple. That is, until I saw that you were 6' 4" with a 34" inseam. I figured that would put the brakes on a Miata...you probably couldn't fit into one. I'm 6' 2", 280 lbs, and, because there is just no place for the bottom of the seat to move back very far because of the compartment right behind the seat for the drop-top, I have to drive even the latest Miata with my two big legs splayed around the sides of the steering wheel so my left foot can press the clutch pedal.

Bitkahuna had an older-generation Miata, and was able to fit into it at 6' 3", but he is thinner than I am.
Surprisingly enough, I CAN get into a Miata--or at least I could at the last auto show I went to, probably in 2019 or 2020 (Chicago had traditionally been in February, so 2020s show would have been about a month before the world ended). My hair was firmly in the roof and it was way too tight to be comfortable for long, but I could actually operate the controls. Contrast that with the F-Type and 370Z at the same show, where I couldn't sit all the way down into the seat before I ran out of legroom.

Originally Posted by ST430
Congrats!! I seriously looked at a g8x bummer as well, but at 95k, couldn't see myself doing spending that much at the time!

Are you going to get the carbon ceramic brakes package? It's a good deal at only $8k...
Nope, I considered it but couldn't justify the $8500 basically to avoid brake dust.

These cement colors are growing on me a little.
I saw a new Porsche the other day that looked almost this exact color except maybe a little lighter.
It was probably Chalk, which is very popular on Porsches:

Old 04-04-23, 05:40 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Like @bitkahuna mentioned, I grew up driving manuals and always loved them, but moved to auto after getting married. Had the urge to go back to a manual in 2018, not many options (I was looking for an inexpensive commuter at the time) so picked up a 10th gen Civic Si for under $25k. Realized daily driving a manual was more nostalgia than fun, sold it a year later.

For your situation you described it seems perfect! That turbocharged 3.0 (503 HP?) will be fun to wind out. Just avoid the "money shift" and you'll be fine 😜
The manual is rated at 473hp vs. 503 for the competition, but the engines are mechanically identical. The only difference is 3psi on the factory boost target. That is easy enough to address. And no money shifts here! As noted in the post above, I've got around 185k miles on manuals without issue, so I'm not worried.

Originally Posted by patgilm
Great choice among the different cars you considered. What I can’t believe is how you held out not telling us for so long since you put the deposit down last October. I would’ve spilled the beans long time ago.
Oh believe me, I thought about it many times! I even dropped a couple of hints here and there, particularly in the general car conversation thread, when talking about the surprisingly difficult decision to NOT option the Moonroof. There were some very good guesses thrown around, and I'm going to say yours was the best overall, since I very nearly did get the M4 Convertible, and the C8 HTC had been the running plan for several years.

I originally planned to spill the beans when it went to status 112 (Scheduled for Production), but life got in the way, so when that opportunity had passed, I decided to just wait until right before it actually hit the assembly line. That seemed especially prudent once supply chain issues started pushing many MT cars out ~4 weeks from their original build week (but thankfully not mine!) last month.

Last edited by geko29; 04-04-23 at 05:43 AM.
Old 04-04-23, 08:44 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
.. I do have about 185,000 miles behind a clutch, between my Dakota pickup and E46, of course I was younger and more limber then.
I hear that!
In my older age I have no desire for a manual or shifting gears anymore, I'm tired. lol

Give me easy. haha

It was probably Chalk, which is very popular on Porsches:

Yes sir, that's like the one I saw.
Chalk is a good description for this color. IMO

Have no idea what kind of money we're looking at here on the Porsche..
Guessing near $100k like your new ride.
Old 04-04-23, 09:40 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

I hear that!
In my older age I have no desire for a manual or shifting gears anymore, I'm tired. lol

Give me easy. haha
Totally makes sense. And you'd actually get the faster car, especially if you went xDrive, which is Auto-only. I'm chasing after the engagement, and am willing to accept less ultimate performance to get it.

Yes sir, that's like the one I saw.
Chalk is a good description for this color. IMO

Have no idea what kind of money we're looking at here on the Porsche..
Guessing near $100k like your new ride.
.....not exactly. A base 911 with Chalk paint, those Syder RS wheels, and zero other options starts at $125k. I'm going to guess the one in the picture is a Carrera 4S, as that's one of the most popular trims. That with an extremely light walk down the options list--basically adding power and leather to the base seats, plus the premium package with the base lights and stereo, and no other options--comes to $157k. Would be $181k the way I'd spec it, which is well-equipped but by no means totally pimped out. Almost exactly double my M3 spec.
Old 04-04-23, 03:34 PM
TheRas900
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Congrats! As soon as you deviated from the C8, described your wishlist and showed some flexibility with the roof, I was yelling M3 6MT at my tablet!!
I picked up an Integra 6MT a few months ago as a more practical 6MT but continue to internally debate if I should pull the trigger on an M3 manual (Portimao/Tartufo with moonroof) before they go away for good. If only BMW would make the M340 in stick, I'd already have one. My hesitation is the M3 might be too extreme for my drive into Philadelphia for work.

Our local dealer was at MSRP but with about a year long waitlist on the M3 6MT, with no cars to test drive prior to order. Let us know how you like it once it arrives.
Old 04-05-23, 04:30 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TheRas900
Congrats! As soon as you deviated from the C8, described your wishlist and showed some flexibility with the roof, I was yelling M3 6MT at my tablet!!
I picked up an Integra 6MT a few months ago as a more practical 6MT but continue to internally debate if I should pull the trigger on an M3 manual (Portimao/Tartufo with moonroof) before they go away for good. If only BMW would make the M340 in stick, I'd already have one. My hesitation is the M3 might be too extreme for my drive into Philadelphia for work.
I don't know what would be too extreme about it. It rides very well in Comfort, and has deeper gearing (turns 3,000 rpm at 80mph in 6th) than it needs to given the amount of torque on tap, so it's incredibly easy to drive at low speeds too. If you're worried about potholes, just stick with the free 824M wheels (18 front/19 rear) rather than one of the optional 19 front/20 rear sets. Great, classy color combo BTW. Also consider Frozen Portimao, which is incredibly striking.

Our local dealer was at MSRP but with about a year long waitlist on the M3 6MT, with no cars to test drive prior to order. Let us know how you like it once it arrives.
Waits are getting shorter and shorter. Mine will turn out to be just under 6 months from deposit to build completion, so ~7 months to delivery. I'm seeing some folks now get allocations within a month or two of their deposit. Brokers are also an option if you wanted one quickly. You'd pay a nominal broker fee of $4-500, but would likely be able to secure an MSRP allocation on the same day. That was definitely NOT the case last fall. I was ok waiting because I don't actually need the car until summer, because that's when mine will get stolen.

I definitely got lucky by being able to test drive before ordering, that is definitely not the norm. Makes it far easier to deal with the fact that I probably won't like the shifter at all when I first get it. Every single review complains about how stiff and rubbery it is, but I didn't get any of that in the one I drove that had 20k miles. It's not quite as amazing as yours (I haven't driven an Integra, but the CTRs gearbox is pretty much perfect, so I can extrapolate ), but is very, very good. I was able to confirm with many owners that it starts off crappy and loosens up significantly once you put about 3-5k miles on.
Old 04-05-23, 06:10 AM
TheRas900
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for the additional info. My concerns are ride quality and rim protection from the awful Philly streets. I would by default have to go with the 18/19 combo, despite the design being one of the weaker BMW ones.
I love the Acura/Honda six speeds, but don't count out BMW. The one in my 2016 328i was almost as good as the TSX I also had at the time. They definitely do need to wear in a little.
I can't wait to hear your thoughts after you get some miles on it. Congrats again!!
Old 04-05-23, 07:12 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Thanks for the additional info. My concerns are ride quality and rim protection from the awful Philly streets. I would by default have to go with the 18/19 combo, despite the design being one of the weaker BMW ones.
I love the Acura/Honda six speeds, but don't count out BMW. The one in my 2016 328i was almost as good as the TSX I also had at the time. They definitely do need to wear in a little.
I can't wait to hear your thoughts after you get some miles on it. Congrats again!!
Oh for sure, I've put 158k miles on a 5-speed E46, and I like I said, the used G80 I drove had a pretty great shifter.

And today's update, looks like they're running a little bit ahead of schedule:

(note: all Individual colors show up in "My Garage" as something resembling Brooklyn Grey. Everything else is accurate)
Old 04-05-23, 08:52 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats and good progress ^^^^ on the build! Subscribed for more updates.
Old 04-05-23, 03:31 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Oh for sure, I've put 158k miles on a 5-speed E46, and I like I said, the used G80 I drove had a pretty great shifter.

And today's update, looks like they're running a little bit ahead of schedule:

(note: all Individual colors show up in "My Garage" as something resembling Brooklyn Grey. Everything else is accurate)
Congrats! I love the side profile of 3, 5 and 7 sedans, especially the 3 Series.
Old 04-05-23, 05:30 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by Kense
Waiting on the usual suspects to claim your car will explode or be in the shop every week from unreliability because the cousins brother sister uncle had one blah blah blah. Congrats, on the G80 it's a great car.
I don't believer the OP bought a G80 but I will go back and read again in case I missed something.

I don't believe I have seen one of these.
New thread?
Hint, Hint, lol

Thanks for the additional info. My concerns are ride quality and rim protection from the awful Philly streets. I would by default have to go with the 18/19 combo, despite the design being one of the weaker BMW ones.... Congrats again!!
I worry about rust up in those cold areas too cuz I hear they salt the streets.
Who cares on a beater but this car is a beauty!

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Congrats! I love the side profile of 3, 5 and 7 sedans, especially the 3 Series.
*^^ Ditto!!!
Old 04-05-23, 05:35 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Congrats, beautiful car and think the CF grille pieces you are adding will be a nice improvement
Old 04-05-23, 06:10 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

I don't believer the OP bought a G80 but I will go back and read again in case I missed something.
G80 is the chassis code for the newest M3, not a Genesis G80. For example the previous generation M3 was the F80. My X7 is called a G07. It gets confusing trying to keep track. Porsche and Mercedes are the same way.
Old 04-06-23, 05:58 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

I totally did. G80 M3 Sedan. The alternatives were a G82 (coupe) or G83 (convertible) M4. There's a G81 M3 Touring (Wagon) in Europe, but it isn't coming here.

I worry about rust up in those cold areas too cuz I hear they salt the streets.
Who cares on a beater but this car is a beauty!
They salt the hell out of the streets out here in Chicagoland, and my E90 has held up fine. Of course there's some rust on suspension components and the like, but the body is still in good shape. The E46 that preceded it was similar, but it spent nearly its entire life outside. By the time I traded it at 12 years/158k miles, it had some rust bubbles on the edges of the rear fenders. This one will be garaged, and not driven super frequently in crappy weather, so it should do great.

And thank you!

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Congrats, beautiful car and think the CF grille pieces you are adding will be a nice improvement
TY!

Quick Reply: It's that time....