Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

It's that time....

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-23, 09:08 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 715 Likes on 492 Posts

I know people are talking about the car, but that build tracker is pretty cool
Old 04-06-23, 10:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,343 Likes on 1,535 Posts

i could imagine getting too much detail on the tracking... like video feeds and comments like...

"tommy just went for a smoke break..."

"sam who was working on your car just got fired for being wasted. don't worry, we've got you covered."

"your car had to go back a few steps because we put the wrong seats in."

Old 04-06-23, 12:05 PM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
.....not exactly. A base 911 with Chalk paint, those Syder RS wheels, and zero other options starts at $125k. I'm going to guess the one in the picture is a Carrera 4S, as that's one of the most popular trims. That with an extremely light walk down the options list--basically adding power and leather to the base seats, plus the premium package with the base lights and stereo, and no other options--comes to $157k. Would be $181k the way I'd spec it, which is well-equipped but by no means totally pimped out. Almost exactly double my M3 spec.
Somehow Porsche is never my thing (I know I shouldn't be making such statement because it's not in my buy range) but that thing looks nice in that angle. I wonder if Hyundai got this idea to make their new EV coupe. Is it double as good as your car? Since this is your thread and you can ding me for being off topic but why does your signature change colors? I noticed it changed green when you reported your order. Lol. Does it have anything to do with this ordering process?
Old 04-06-23, 02:23 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 282 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i could imagine getting too much detail on the tracking... like video feeds and comments like...

"tommy just went for a smoke break..."

"sam who was working on your car just got fired for being wasted. don't worry, we've got you covered."

"your car had to go back a few steps because we put the wrong seats in."

Lol, they're not quite that verbose, and not in the online tracker, but you can get surprisingly detailed information by calling the Genius (Customer Service) line or your SA. A couple of months ago someone reported that their car was being held at the VPC (Vehicle Processing Center) with a specific incident number (think recall, but during the shipping process). He called and they told him his car and 4 others--5 cars total--were missing some component of the AM/FM radio and wouldn't be released for transport until the part was shipped and installed by the VPC.

Humorously enough, the other 4 people who were impacted, were ALSO forum members who were already tracking their cars there, and checked in on the thread with the same information.

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Somehow Porsche is never my thing (I know I shouldn't be making such statement because it's not in my buy range) but that thing looks nice in that angle. I wonder if Hyundai got this idea to make their new EV coupe. Is it double as good as your car? Since this is your thread and you can ding me for being off topic but why does your signature change colors? I noticed it changed green when you reported your order. Lol. Does it have anything to do with this ordering process?
It's absolutely better, but not anywhere near twice as good in my estimation. We're well into the realm of diminishing returns at that point, IMO.

And no idea on the signature. I did notice that on one of my posts, but didn't pay any more attention to it. I should probably remove that part of my sig anyway, since I haven't done F@H in years.

And for @Allen K 's update

It went into the paint booth (152) yesterday afternoon, and moved to the assembly line (153) a couple of hours ago.
Old 04-06-23, 02:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,343 Likes on 1,535 Posts

are the wheels on your car really that huge?
Old 04-06-23, 03:24 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 715 Likes on 492 Posts

It went into the paint booth (152) yesterday afternoon, and moved to the assembly line (153) a couple of hours ago.
So freaking cool
Old 04-06-23, 04:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,695 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Congratulations! Love the color...
Old 04-06-23, 05:28 PM
1111GS

will you do the pcd, geko?
Originally Posted by Allen K
So freaking cool
yeah make sure you feel like a vip from the start.
Old 04-07-23, 05:13 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
are the wheels on your car really that huge?
Not quite as large as it appears in the picture, but they are 19 front/20 rear. Tires are 275/35/19 and 285/30/20. A lot of pictures the shadow in the wheel well makes the tires look even thinner than they actually are, this is a pretty good representation:

Those are actually going to wind up being my winter wheels, I've already got a set of 827Ms from the M4 CSL in the garage--which are the exact same sizes--that will be my summer wheels. They're currently black:

But I'm debating whether to leave them that way, or powdercoat them in Bronze Gold like the M3 CS wheels:

Or in Porsche Silver:

Old 04-07-23, 05:19 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

So freaking cool
Originally Posted by SW17LS
Congratulations! Love the color...
Thanks! I wanted something that wasn't too ostentatious, but gorgeous and rare so that it would be unlikely for me to see another one in the wild. By the end of this MY, I think there will only be 8-10 this color in North America, so that's a pretty fair bet.

will you do the pcd, geko?

yeah make sure you feel like a vip from the start.
I would really like to, but unfortunately it's probably not going to work with some stuff that's going on right now. I think I have until it gets to Baltimore to make that decision.

Oh, and:

Last edited by geko29; 04-07-23 at 05:29 AM.
Old 04-07-23, 07:45 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,069 Likes on 1,606 Posts

Not quite as large as it appears in the picture, but they are 19 front/20 rear. Tires are 275/35/19 and 285/30/20. A lot of pictures the shadow in the wheel well makes the tires look even thinner than they actually are, this is a pretty good representation:

Those are actually going to wind up being my winter wheels, I've already got a set of 827Ms from the M4 CSL in the garage--which are the exact same sizes--that will be my summer wheels. They're currently black:

But I'm debating whether to leave them that way, or powdercoat them in Bronze Gold like the M3 CS wheels:

Or in Porsche Silver:

That is a beautiful car! I hope you get a lot of wonderful years out it once it arrives!
Old 04-07-23, 11:21 AM
1111GS

PCD is nice but if you can’t make it, you may be able to get rain check tickets for two. For some reason I thought this thing was V8. Saw one at the dealership and it says I6 TT. But wow 503hp 3.4s! On the website it’s shown M I6 TT. Is it different from regular I6TT?
Old 04-07-23, 12:37 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

PCD is nice but if you can’t make it, you may be able to get rain check tickets for two. For some reason I thought this thing was V8. Saw one at the dealership and it says I6 TT. But wow 503hp 3.4s! On the website it’s shown M I6 TT. Is it different from regular I6TT?
Yeah I actually just learned today that buyers are eligible for a "new owner experience" at the Performance Center anytime within the first year. It's the same as PCD, except it doesn't include a night in the hotel and dinner, or (obviously) delivery. But you still get the museum tour and track time.

Yep, I6 TT. The only M3 that ever had a V8 was the E90, two generations ago. The two generations before that were NA I6, and the two since have been TT I6. The original E30 was actually an I4.

There's currently no non-M I6 with a Twin turbo, the last one was the N54 that launched with the E90 in 2007--BMWs first mass-produced turbocharged engine. Since then, the subsequent "normal" straight sixes--the N55 and B58--have had a single, twin-scroll turbo. The S58 (M engine codes all start with an S) used in the M2/M3/M4 and X3M/X4M is a thoroughly-reworked variant of the B58 with twin turbos, revised charge air cooler, chrome-moly crankshaft, a ton of forged parts, and a crazy-low 9.3:1 compression ratio. That allows it to run 25lbs of boost from the factory, vs. just 11lbs for the B58. In Competition (Auto Trans) trim, it makes 503hp, my base (Manual) makes "only" 473hp. But there's way more in there. The stock internals can handle over 1,000hp.

No production updates this afternoon, but somebody in CA is taking delivery of theirs today, so I have a few more example pictures. Their car has the carbon buckets in Silverstone (mine has the standard M Sport seats in Kyalami Orange) and slightly different wheels (826M Bi-color vs. my 825M Bi-color), but otherwise appears to be identical to my spec.

Old 04-07-23, 06:18 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I know people are talking about the car, but that build tracker is pretty cool
Wait, why was this my reaction as well!? Like, can we talk about this too please?! LOL. That thing is AMAZING! Its the little things like this that they get so right.

And why am I only now just seeing this thread. LOL. Congrats on the build and car! While I am no fan of the stock grille at all, I think the G80 M3 is absolute perfection everywhere else. So much better looking than prior gen which I found to be super boring. Congrats and enjoy in great health!
Old 04-08-23, 09:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,695 Likes on 1,933 Posts

BMW does custom orders right...

Quick Reply: It's that time....