Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

It's that time....

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-23, 09:10 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
BMW does custom orders right...
It's so much better than... harassing the SA now and then.
Originally Posted by geko29
There's currently no non-M I6 with a Twin turbo, the last one was the N54 that launched with the E90 in 2007--BMWs first mass-produced turbocharged engine. Since then, the subsequent "normal" straight sixes--the N55 and B58--have had a single, twin-scroll turbo. The S58 (M engine codes all start with an S) used in the M2/M3/M4 and X3M/X4M is a thoroughly-reworked variant of the B58 with twin turbos, revised charge air cooler, chrome-moly crankshaft, a ton of forged parts, and a crazy-low 9.3:1 compression ratio. That allows it to run 25lbs of boost from the factory, vs. just 11lbs for the B58. In Competition (Auto Trans) trim, it makes 503hp, my base (Manual) makes "only" 473hp. But there's way more in there. The stock internals can handle over 1,000hp.
That's good to know. The one I saw was Competition. Wheels look fine on the car IMO. It sounds like we're talking different languages. Lol. How do you folks keep track with all these code names? You must be good when you were in school.
Old 04-08-23, 09:49 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
BMW does custom orders right...
They really do. Being new to BMW a few years ago I’ve now custom ordered two new cars from them and it’s been seamless. The time frame the SA gave me was spot on and you can track it so easy and get real-time updates. If I were getting a new BMW I wouldn’t do it any other way. Since the SUVs are built in SC it only took about 4 weeks but my car came from Germany so that took I think 6-8 weeks.

I custom ordered one Lexus and it wasn’t remotely the same and took longer than expected but it did come from Japan.
Old 04-08-23, 10:45 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
That's good to know. The one I saw was Competition. Wheels look fine on the car IMO. It sounds like we're talking different languages. Lol. How do you folks keep track with all these code names? You must be good when you were in school.
It's all in what you geek out on. I've been entrenched in the BMW world for well over half my life now, so it kinda comes naturally. Just like one of my employees can tell you in great detail the very specific flavor profile of any of the 2,000+ beers he's sampled.

It's really not all that different from being fluent in the 2GR and 1UR, etc, in the Lexus world.
Old 04-08-23, 11:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
They really do. Being new to BMW a few years ago I’ve now custom ordered two new cars from them and it’s been seamless. The time frame the SA gave me was spot on and you can track it so easy and get real-time updates. If I were getting a new BMW I wouldn’t do it any other way. Since the SUVs are built in SC it only took about 4 weeks but my car came from Germany so that took I think 6-8 weeks.

I custom ordered one Lexus and it wasn’t remotely the same and took longer than expected but it did come from Japan.
Yeah even 6-8 weeks to get it from Germany is great. Mercedes seems lousy with that
Old 04-08-23, 01:10 PM
TheRas900
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Love BMW and Porsche's ordering process. I'm sure Benz does it well too although no experience ordering from them.
I wish the Japanese companies could do the same.
Old 04-08-23, 01:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Benz does not do it well from what I have seen
Old 04-27-23, 07:56 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

After production, my car spent about 2 weeks in QC, which is quite long in general, but seemed to be a theme for most week 15 builds. I suspect some sort of parts shortage. Something like interior carbon fiber trim or the like. It was fully done and got on a train on Monday, and today arrived at the port of Bremerhaven:

From here, I probably wait a week or two to get on a boat, then 15 days on the ocean to Baltimore, and another week or so to make it to the dealer. So my original estimate of late May/early June is probably spot on.
Old 04-27-23, 08:39 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,629 Posts

After production, my car spent about 2 weeks in QC, which is quite long in general, but seemed to be a theme for most week 15 builds. I suspect some sort of parts shortage. Something like interior carbon fiber trim or the like. It was fully done and got on a train on Monday, and today arrived at the port of Bremerhaven:

From here, I probably wait a week or two to get on a boat, then 15 days on the ocean to Baltimore, and another week or so to make it to the dealer. So my original estimate of late May/early June is probably spot on.
Wow, you really got the route mapped out . I'm excited for you, can't wait till you take delivery!
Old 04-27-23, 08:46 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Wow, you really got the route mapped out . I'm excited for you, can't wait till you take delivery!
You act like I already scouted the next 10 RORO (Roll On/Roll Off) ships leaving Bremerhaven and headed for Baltimore. I would never, ever do an obsessive thing like that.

4/29 Hawaiian Highway
4/30 Thermopylae
5/2 Tombarra
5/6 Donington
5/11 Arc Independence
5/13 Orion Highway
5/15 Titania
5/19 Arc Defender
5/19 Morning Capo
5/20 Brooklands

My CA happened to call me about an hour ago. Said his GM was yelling at him since it'd been a while since he'd called to update me. He said he told the GM "You don't understand. This customer knows exactly what's going on with his car, every single day. But I'll call and check in." I confirmed his story. He told me it was listed as "built, not shipped", and I said "yep, it got to the port of Bremerhaven a few hours ago."
Old 04-27-23, 08:53 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

You act like I already scouted the next 10 RORO (Roll On/Roll Off) ships leaving Bremerhaven and headed for Baltimore. I would never, ever do an obsessive thing like that.

4/29 Hawaiian Highway
4/30 Thermopylae
5/2 Tombarra
5/6 Donington
5/11 Arc Independence
5/13 Orion Highway
5/15 Titania
5/19 Arc Defender
5/19 Morning Capo
5/20 Brooklands

My CA happened to call me about an hour ago. Said his GM was yelling at him since it'd been a while since he'd called to update me. He said he told the GM "You don't understand. This customer knows exactly what's going on with his car, every single day. But I'll call and check in." I confirmed his story. He told me it was listed as "built, not shipped", and I said "yep, it got to the port of Bremerhaven a few hours ago."
LOL that is funny . I'm sort of glad Tesla doesn't give this much details, as I would be obsessively following the build and delivery process
Old 04-27-23, 08:55 AM
Longevite1
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

@geko29 interesting, I don't have any knowledge about BMW logistics, but last week, I happened saw a big parking lot full of BMW cars at Galveston, and 3-4 trailers loading them up. I'm sure they have multiple roll off locations but I wonder how do you know your will be at Baltimore port?
Old 04-27-23, 09:15 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Longevite1
@geko29 interesting, I don't have any knowledge about BMW logistics, but last week, I happened saw a big parking lot full of BMW cars at Galveston, and 3-4 trailers loading them up. I'm sure they have multiple roll off locations but I wonder how do you know your will be at Baltimore port?
They use a variety of ports depending on the final destination. Cars bound for the Northeast go to New York (actually Bayonne, NJ), most in the Midwest go to Baltimore. People doing Performance Center Delivery in Spartansburg, SC get off at Charleston, most of the southeast goes to Atlanta, and the south and central portions of the US all go to Galveston.

Most of the west-coast cars go to either Long Beach or Hueneme. There's probably another port in the PNW, but I'm not sure where.

I'm in the Chicago area, so my car will be arriving at Baltimore.
Old 04-27-23, 09:30 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

4/29 Hawaiian Highway
4/30 Thermopylae
5/2 Tombarra
5/6 Donington
5/11 Arc Independence
5/13 Orion Highway
5/15 Titania
5/19 Arc Defender
5/19 Morning Capo
5/20 Brooklands

Man, I don't know if that's a good thing.
The anticipation would kill me cuz I'd want to track it every day tooooo... lolol
Old 04-27-23, 09:43 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Margate330
Man, I don't know if that's a good thing.
The anticipation would kill me cuz I'd want to track it every day tooooo... lolol
That's why I'm glad Tesla doesn't give detailed info on the status and build. They notify you once a VIN has been assigned, then give you a delivery window. I would be glued to the Tesla app if they gave too many details
Old 04-28-23, 06:23 PM
TheRas900
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Fantastic looking M3! Enjoy!!

Quick Reply: It's that time....