Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

It's that time....

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-23, 08:17 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Wow, almost a month since my last update. After those two weeks in QC and transport to the port at Bremerhaven, it then spent another 3 soul-crushing weeks sitting at the port waiting for its turn on a ship. Last Friday my status finally changed again:

Contacted Genius, and found out I had been loaded on K-Line's Orion Highway, which actually departed on Wednesday the 16th. The ship had one final stop in Zebbrugge, Belgium on Friday, before making the roughly 9-day trip across the big pond. Currently looking like it will dock in Baltimore on Saturday:

And from there, should be roughly a week for delivery in the Chicago suburbs, though I'm not sure how the holiday impacts that. I should be able to get a delivery date estimate later this week. Finally starting to feel real!
Old 05-22-23, 08:24 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Wow, almost a month since my last update. After those two weeks in QC and transport to the port at Bremerhaven, it then spent another 3 soul-crushing weeks sitting at the port waiting for its turn on a ship. Last Friday my status finally changed again:

Contacted Genius, and found out I had been loaded on K-Line's Orion Highway, which actually departed on Wednesday the 16th. The ship had one final stop in Zebbrugge, Belgium on Friday, before making the roughly 9-day trip across the big pond. Currently looking like it will dock in Baltimore on Saturday:

And from there, should be roughly a week for delivery in the Chicago suburbs, though I'm not sure how the holiday impacts that. I should be able to get a delivery date estimate later this week. Finally starting to feel real!
It's going to be well worth the wait when you get it. So nice to get a car built to your specs. I didn't realize these all came through Baltimore. I wonder if mine came so quickly because my dealer is so close to Baltimore.
Old 05-22-23, 08:30 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by patgilm
It's going to be well worth the wait when you get it. So nice to get a car built to your specs. I didn't realize these all came through Baltimore. I wonder if mine came so quickly because my dealer is so close to Baltimore.
They don't all come through Baltimore. East cost ports are NYC, Baltimore, Charleston, Brunswick (GA), and Galveston. West coast ports are Los Angeles, Hueneme (Long Beach), and Tacoma. Cars are shipped to the "nearest" port to the destination dealership based on available trucking routes.

In my case, Baltimore is "closest" to Chicago, so that's where my car is headed.
Old 05-22-23, 09:22 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats! That's going to be a fun car.
Old 05-22-23, 08:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

I'll be happy to pick it up in Baltimore and drive it out to ya
Old 05-23-23, 12:09 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Lol, depending on the route you took, I could have the break-in service done as part of PDI and just tear *** straight off the dealership lot.
Old 05-23-23, 02:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think we have a working plan!
Old 05-23-23, 02:38 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Very excited for you! Can't wait for you to get it and share your impressions (and photos!).
Old 05-23-23, 02:40 PM
bowser
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 49 Posts

They don't all come through Baltimore. East cost ports are NYC, Baltimore, Charleston, Brunswick (GA), and Galveston. West coast ports are Los Angeles, Hueneme (Long Beach), and Tacoma. Cars are shipped to the "nearest" port to the destination dealership based on available trucking routes.

In my case, Baltimore is "closest" to Chicago, so that's where my car is headed.
I don't think Hueneme is the same as Long Beach. Port Hueneme is in Ventura County, about 80 miles northwest of Long Beach.
Congrats on your new car!
Old 05-23-23, 04:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Me and a friend of mine and once picked up a new Saab for someone at the Baltimore port, that had been shipped over from Europe on a container-ship. I hope the process is better-streamllined now compared to what it was back then (late 1990s). It was a PITA, and we had to go to something like three different buildings in the port-complex, doing tons of paperwork in each one.
Old 05-23-23, 04:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Me and a friend of mine and once picked up a new Saab for someone at the Baltimore port, that had been shipped over from Europe on a container-ship. I hope the process is better-streamllined now compared to what it was back then (late 1990s). It was a PITA, and we had to go to something like three different buildings in the port-complex, doing tons of paperwork in each one.
In this situation it wouldn't actually be possible, they wouldn't release the car at the port, it has to be PDI'd and delivered by a dealer.
Old 05-23-23, 04:46 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bowser
I don't think Hueneme is the same as Long Beach. Port Hueneme is in Ventura County, about 80 miles northwest of Long Beach.
Congrats on your new car!
You are right, thanks for the correction! Port of LA is almost in Long Beach, maybe that's where I got my confusion reading about the west coast folks. I've been understandably more focused on the east coast.

And thanks!
Old 05-23-23, 04:48 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

In this situation it wouldn't actually be possible, they wouldn't release the car at the port, it has to be PDI'd and delivered by a dealer.
Yup, Maybe if European Delivery was still a thing it would be possible, since it would have gone through PDI at the Welt in Munich. Doubtful, but maybe.
Old 05-23-23, 05:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yup, Maybe if European Delivery was still a thing it would be possible, since it would have gone through PDI at the Welt in Munich. Doubtful, but maybe.
yeah I cant remember if anybody I know has ever done that, all I can remember is people picking up X5s in SC.

Old 05-23-23, 07:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
just another saab story.

Quick Reply: It's that time....