Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

It's that time....

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-23, 09:23 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 282 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Looking real good. Enjoy in good health. Is that Cognac inside? Did you ever give the reason for not having a moon/sunroof? This thread is going to get "sticky" (itself) for awhile now.
Thank you! No, the color is Kyalami Orange, which is an M-specific color. I was debating between that and Fiona Red, which is an individual color but available on more of the lineup. Ironically enough, my wife fell in love with the orange. My CA said "any time a spouse mentions interior color, the very first comment is always hell no to the orange, so you pretty much have to get it now." It's honestly gorgeous in person, so I'm very happy with the choice.

The closest available color to Cognac is Tartufo, which is a little darker brown with no orange in it. It looks really good, but to me is more "classy" than "sporty".

I waffled for months on the roof, because I absolutely LOVE my moonroof and use it all the time when the weather permits. Eventually I decided that the CF roof is just too cool and too fitting for an M3 to pass up on. I hope I don't eventually regret it, but I must say the carbon roof is very striking in person.
Old 06-03-23, 09:53 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

It looks kind of like Cognac to my eyes. We didn't plan to get Cognac. We planned to get Coffee but Coffee looked too dark in person so we switched to Cognac. Fast forward 2+ years, we still love it. More like she loves it more. I had Rojas Red. I think Red or Orange oriented colors look sporty IMO. Speaking of leather, I slide my butt every time I get out but that doesn't seem to bother the leather. Still looks very new. My GX would have shown wear long ago. How are you adapting with buttonless? What about cruise controls on steering wheel? Is it better than your favorite stalk?

Last edited by 1111GS; 06-03-23 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-03-23, 10:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,343 Likes on 1,535 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Oh for sure. They make ceramic coatings for leather, plastic and carpet.
i'm sure they do. aka snake oil. i'll pass.

Originally Posted by geko29
I waffled for months on the roof, because I absolutely LOVE my moonroof and use it all the time when the weather permits. Eventually I decided that the CF roof is just too cool and too fitting for an M3 to pass up on. I hope I don't eventually regret it, but I must say the carbon roof is very striking in person.

LOVE the cf roof on my lc.
Old 06-03-23, 10:51 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,069 Likes on 1,606 Posts

Congrats! Looks awesome and amazing 😍. I'm thrilled for you. Hope you get many happy years out of it. Which reminds me, I probably need to get ceramic coating for my Y, as I'll be doing lots of road trips with flying rocks from trucks.

Enjoy 😍😊
Old 06-03-23, 12:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,695 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i'm sure they do. aka snake oil.
It’s not snake oil at all, they do a great job of sealing the material and protecting against stains, making them hydrophobic. The leather and carpet in the Pacifica are ceramic coated and it makes those materials much easier to clean. Liquid beads up on the carpet, etc.

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-03-23 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-03-23, 02:21 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 715 Likes on 492 Posts

Love that interior!
Old 06-03-23, 03:02 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 278 Likes on 198 Posts

Thanks! Seats are super comfy, I got the standard M sport seats, not the optional ($4700) carbon buckets. The buckets are absolutely gorgeous, but a pain to get in and out of if you're skinny, and utterly unusable if you're.....built like I am.

My seats (not my car):

Carbon buckets in the same color:

It is full Merino leather, which is BMW's top grade, and full means it includes the upper and lower dash and door panels.

List was $1995 with a 5-year guarantee, I wound up at $1195 with a 7-year guarantee. Process takes 2 guys about 2-3 hours to complete. Still more expensive than doing it myself, but the "insurance" is worth it I think.
A friend of mine had the orange carbon fiber buckets in his first black M3 and it looked awesome. He ended up selling it and getting a frozen gray with red carbon bucket seats. I didn’t know those were special order. He ended up getting it tuned and it’s putting out 770 to the wheels.

Old 06-03-23, 06:59 PM
TheRas900
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Fantastic looking combo! Good luck and definitely post some driving impressions once you put on some miles.
Old 06-04-23, 12:11 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 960 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRas900
Fantastic looking combo! Good luck and definitely post some driving impressions once you put on some miles.
^^ Ditto.

What's these red levers?
Are they for shifting?

Oh, and, these seats look super sporty.
Maybe if I was 20 years younger unless they aren't are hard as they look.
Old 06-04-23, 04:40 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 1111GS
How are you adapting with buttonless? What about cruise controls on steering wheel? Is it better than your favorite stalk?
Don't have a ton of experience with it yet--probably 1.5-2 hours in the car, total, at this point--but hasn't been an issue so far. The things that would previously have had hard buttons are all really easy to get to and use. The things I find myself searching for would have been buried in the menus in iDrive 7 anyway. And the fully automatic climate control seems really nifty. I have to play with it a bit to get it dialed in, but you basically set your preferences, and it controls the fan speed/flow, heated and cooled seats, etc to make you comfortable. The actual temperature selection is always on the bottom of the screen, and is no more troublesome than the ***** on my E90.

No idea on the cruise control yet, as I haven't been on the highway, and may not be for a while (no plans to go anywhere that would necessitate it).
Old 06-04-23, 04:46 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Allen K
Love that interior!
Originally Posted by TheRas900
Thanks guys! Will absolutely post some impressions after a bit. Still getting used to driving a manual again after 12 years away. It's great, but I'm not as smooth as I remember.

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Congrats! Looks awesome and amazing 😍. I'm thrilled for you. Hope you get many happy years out of it. Which reminds me, I probably need to get ceramic coating for my Y, as I'll be doing lots of road trips with flying rocks from trucks.

Enjoy 😍😊
Ceramic won't help you with rock chips, you need PPF for that. I thought about PPF, but another $7-8k just didn't sit well. Ceramic is more about sealing and making the paint's surface "slippery" so contaminants don't stick and it's easier to clean.
Old 06-04-23, 04:53 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Margate330
What's these red levers?
Are they for shifting?

Oh, and, these seats look super sporty.
Maybe if I was 20 years younger unless they aren't are hard as they look.
The large red levers behind the wheel with a Lego-looking texture on the back are for shifting the 8AT. My wheel doesn't have them. The little ones on top of the wheel are for the M1/M2 preference settings. You can set engine/exhaust response, steering, suspension, braking, traction and stability control to desired presets, and then save them to the buttons so you can instantly recall two sets of settings with one button press.

The bucket seats are super sporty, and my understanding is that if you fit in them, they're actually quite comfortable. But the shell is absolutely as rigid as it looks, so you either fit or you don't. I haven't tried them myself, but am 100% confident that I fall into the "don't" category. They're also supposed to be a little challenging to get in/out of even if you do fit, so awesome for a car that's tracked frequently, not so great for a DD. I think it's great that they're offered, and there are a lot of folks on bimmerpost who absolutely adore them and wouldn't get the car without them.
Old 06-04-23, 05:03 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by patgilm
A friend of mine had the orange carbon fiber buckets in his first black M3 and it looked awesome. He ended up selling it and getting a frozen gray with red carbon bucket seats. I didn’t know those were special order. He ended up getting it tuned and it’s putting out 770 to the wheels.

Frozen Pure Grey II is a great color. It's probably my second-favorite matte color after Frozen Dark Grey, which has been discontinued.

There are certain options that are "pre-approved" Individual, meaning you can select them in the configurator and don't have to submit an individual order to get them, but they can potentially delay your build. For paint, Dravit Grey and Tanzanite Blue II fall into this category. They're individual colors, but are $1950 instead of $4500 and are directly selectable. For interior, I believe it's Fiona Red, Fjord Blue, and Ivory White. For the first few model years, these colors came with bespoke floor mats with piping that matched the seats. They don't do those anymore, but they're now the only colors that have matching door cards when extended leather (as opposed to full) is selected. Every other color gets black door cards with extended, matching with full. There are also two pre-approved individual interior trims, Piano Black (YUK!) and Aluminum.

Those are all different than "traditional" Individual, where you have to submit a request to the factory and they will either approve or deny the request and provide a price. My paint was that way. It was quick, only took about two days, but the order wasn't accepted until the paint was approved. It cost $4,500 which was what I expected. But other things can be different. For example, in the US, Tartufo (brown) leather is only available on the base sport seats, not on the carbon buckets. But one forum member recently got Tartufo buckets approved through the Individual program, at a cost of I believe $7400.
Old 06-04-23, 05:50 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 278 Likes on 198 Posts

Ceramic won't help you with rock chips, you need PPF for that. I thought about PPF, but another $7-8k just didn't sit well. Ceramic is more about sealing and making the paint's surface "slippery" so contaminants don't stick and it's easier to clean.
Habe you thought about just getting PPF on the hood and front fenders? Where I live that would be around $1,400 and way worth it.
Old 06-04-23, 07:37 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Don't have a ton of experience with it yet--probably 1.5-2 hours in the car, total, at this point--but hasn't been an issue so far. The things that would previously have had hard buttons are all really easy to get to and use. The things I find myself searching for would have been buried in the menus in iDrive 7 anyway. And the fully automatic climate control seems really nifty. I have to play with it a bit to get it dialed in, but you basically set your preferences, and it controls the fan speed/flow, heated and cooled seats, etc to make you comfortable. The actual temperature selection is always on the bottom of the screen, and is no more troublesome than the ***** on my E90.
No idea on the cruise control yet, as I haven't been on the highway, and may not be for a while (no plans to go anywhere that would necessitate it).
That is reason why I love the 8 buttons so much. Certain things are buried in the menus and if you don't use often, it can be pain in the behind. For instance, I want to be able to see PSI once in a while, I want to be able to switch media quickly from Carplay to USB vice versa when needed, I want to run ventilation at end of drive... Those buttons are very handy. I think you said they now have favorites like MB. But I don't think that will do as well as buttons. You can move your finger over a button and it will tell you what it does if pressed.
Yeah their auto works very well. I did not have it on and kept changing and b***ing about their bad/weak system. One day I realized I didn't have Auto on. And that does it all most of the time. When I need a little more juice, I just increase the fan speed.

Quick Reply: It's that time....