Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

It's that time....

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-23, 07:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,695 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Habe you thought about just getting PPF on the hood and front fenders? Where I live that would be around $1,400 and way worth it.
I would absolutely do that, and you gotta do it quick.
Old 06-05-23, 05:31 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 282 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
That is reason why I love the 8 buttons so much. Certain things are buried in the menus and if you don't use often, it can be pain in the behind. For instance, I want to be able to see PSI once in a while, I want to be able to switch media quickly from Carplay to USB vice versa when needed, I want to run ventilation at end of drive... Those buttons are very handy. I think you said they now have favorites like MB. But I don't think that will do as well as buttons. You can move your finger over a button and it will tell you what it does if pressed.
Yeah their auto works very well. I did not have it on and kept changing and b***ing about their bad/weak system. One day I realized I didn't have Auto on. And that does it all most of the time. When I need a little more juice, I just increase the fan speed.
PSI and stuff is all available very quickly in the instrument cluster, don't even need to use the main screen for that. Media has a dedicated button in front of the iDrive dial (which itself is admittedly placed somewhat inconveniently in my car due to the shifter--it's fine in the autos). The screen actually prompts me for ventilation (either now or later) every time I shut the car off, so that might actually be easier than setting a button for it. I do think favorites vs. hard buttons are a six of one, half dozen of the other affair. Favorites require a swipe down on the screen to start (I read there's also an idrive shortcut, but don't remember what it is) and then you see what ALL of them do, while the hard buttons you'd have to touch each one to view the function if you don't remember. If you've got them all memorized, then 100% the buttons would be faster. But not by a ton.

One of the advantages I've found is split screen for Android Auto. I can have media up on 1/3 of the screen, and maps/waze up on the rest, and the downsized map is still overall larger than the entire iDrive 7 screen. I think that's also doable with the built-in apps, but haven't found out how to do it yet.

As a follow-up, I did get to try the cruise control yesterday. I'll reserve final judgement, but initial impressions are not good. I have to turn the system on with the middle button, after which point I would think the set button would set my current speed. But it doesn't. It sets the speed limit. BOOOO! So I wind up pushing the middle button again and I'm good. Until I want to set a different speed, and then I have to push the middle button three times to turn the system off, back on, and set again. I'm sure there's a configuration setting I can change or a different mode of operation I can leverage, which is why I'm still open to it not sucking. But so far, the stalk is 1000x better.
Old 06-05-23, 07:05 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Few more pics from when I finally picked it up yesterday:

We went to dinner and parked right next to the valet area. While we were eating, the valets decided that was the best spot to put a Stingray C8.R Edition:

And a couple interior shots, forgive the messy garage:

Old 06-05-23, 08:12 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,343 Likes on 1,535 Posts

cars have gotten so much bigger this m3 looks about the size of a old 5 series!
Old 06-05-23, 08:32 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
cars have gotten so much bigger this m3 looks about the size of a old 5 series!
You are right on the nose. The G80 M3 is exactly the same length as the E39 M5....but 4 inches wider. I think the cabin portion of the body is actually the same width, it's just those hips at the back.

But that's fine by me, as I lusted after an E39 M5 for many, many years.
Old 06-05-23, 08:34 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,069 Likes on 1,606 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Thanks guys! Will absolutely post some impressions after a bit. Still getting used to driving a manual again after 12 years away. It's great, but I'm not as smooth as I remember.

Ceramic won't help you with rock chips, you need PPF for that. I thought about PPF, but another $7-8k just didn't sit well. Ceramic is more about sealing and making the paint's surface "slippery" so contaminants don't stick and it's easier to clean.
PPF is between $900 and $8K....average cost is around $3K. Yeah, that's a lot of mula. Just the front end wrap is $3K. Lot of mula....yeah I can see why it didn't sit well with you
Old 06-05-23, 08:52 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

PSI and stuff is all available very quickly in the instrument cluster, don't even need to use the main screen for that. Media has a dedicated button in front of the iDrive dial (which itself is admittedly placed somewhat inconveniently in my car due to the shifter--it's fine in the autos). The screen actually prompts me for ventilation (either now or later) every time I shut the car off, so that might actually be easier than setting a button for it. I do think favorites vs. hard buttons are a six of one, half dozen of the other affair. Favorites require a swipe down on the screen to start (I read there's also an idrive shortcut, but don't remember what it is) and then you see what ALL of them do, while the hard buttons you'd have to touch each one to view the function if you don't remember. If you've got them all memorized, then 100% the buttons would be faster. But not by a ton.
One of the advantages I've found is split screen for Android Auto. I can have media up on 1/3 of the screen, and maps/waze up on the rest, and the downsized map is still overall larger than the entire iDrive 7 screen. I think that's also doable with the built-in apps, but haven't found out how to do it yet.
As a follow-up, I did get to try the cruise control yesterday. I'll reserve final judgement, but initial impressions are not good. I have to turn the system on with the middle button, after which point I would think the set button would set my current speed. But it doesn't. It sets the speed limit. BOOOO! So I wind up pushing the middle button again and I'm good. Until I want to set a different speed, and then I have to push the middle button three times to turn the system off, back on, and set again. I'm sure there's a configuration setting I can change or a different mode of operation I can leverage, which is why I'm still open to it not sucking. But so far, the stalk is 1000x better.
PSI must be set up differently in M3 then. It would only display on the main screen and I would have to go a few steps into the menu. It can be coded to display on cluster but it would be in Expert Mode so I would rather not go in there. I'm fine with them on the display.
It does prompt for ventilation at the end. However, it will not let you change your preference. When I'm inside my garage, I want to just ventilation without engine on. When I'm outside and anticipate a hot day, I will check start engine box so before I go home, if I remote start, it will turn the engine on and the car will be cool.
There's a Media button but you would have to go through choices. I just want two choices (CarPlay or USB) and hitting right button will take me right there.
I think something in your setting is off. Once I set it, it sets the current speed. If I brake and it cancels, if I activate again, it will bring back to last set speed. And activate again I just hit the up/down switch. I don't remember it being as you describe. I wouldn't want a stalk for this.
Old 06-05-23, 08:58 AM
1111GS

We went to dinner and parked right next to the valet area. While we were eating, the valets decided that was the best spot to put a Stingray C8.R Edition:

Win win situation! But why so far from the curb? For the passenger? When I park next to a curb, I want to be as close to it as possible.
Old 06-05-23, 09:01 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Win win situation! But why so far from the curb? For the passenger? When I park next to a curb, I want to be as close to it as possible.
2 reasons. My wife and son were on that side, so wanted to be nice. But also, this was literally my first time backing it into a parking spot, and it "feels" different than our other cars. Just take some getting used to. Though the perspective is a bit off, it is perfectly centered in the spot, and not cheated in the wrong direction.
Old 06-05-23, 09:04 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Few more pics from when I finally picked it up yesterday:

And a couple interior shots, forgive the messy garage:

It just looks amazing! The first pic looks like it's angry and saying "Get the F out of my way"! I don't know what to say except I'm totally jealous and feel that I am about to have my second mid life crisis
Old 06-05-23, 11:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
PPF is between $900 and $8K....average cost is around $3K. Yeah, that's a lot of mula. Just the front end wrap is $3K. Lot of mula....yeah I can see why it didn't sit well with you
Thats not the case here. You can get the full front end done for between $1,500-$2,000.
Old 06-05-23, 11:09 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Thats not the case here. You can get the full front end done for between $1,500-$2,000.
Unfortunately things are more expensive here in the Bay Area....
Old 06-05-23, 11:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Unfortunately things are more expensive here in the Bay Area....
For sure, but he's in IL
Old 06-05-23, 12:18 PM
1111GS

There's a famous one near me. They go from under 1k to almost 10k. It's not the bay area thing. It's the customers they serve. If they do mostly high ends they will price high. Their quality may not be as much better. I don't know. Maybe because I don't keep the car long or my cars are not that unique. I don't like another layer on my paint unless it's a wrap.
Old 06-05-23, 04:20 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Next on the list was the exact opposite end of the spectrum--the 718 Boxter GTS 4.0/Spyder. Surprisingly enough, I actually fit just fine in these, and my wife and I are both in love with the styling (especially the Spyder). Resale is also insane, so reaching a bit past our comfort zone seemed like a reasonable option. However, reality has a way of slapping you in the face, and several inquiries essentially led me to the conclusion that I could not under any circumstances get a Spyder allocation before production ends, and while it might be possible to get one for a GTS 4.0 in ~2 years, I'd be looking at a minimum $25k ADM. That made them a no-go, and while the lower four-cylinder trims are gettable, I don't want one. They drive well, but sound like tractors. ...........

So where'd I end up after all of that?

The 2nd-to-last thing to decide was between the M3 and M4, since the base (non-Competition) of both comes with the 6MT. No longer needing practicality tilted the scales in the M4s favor, but I love the "hips" on the M3 more, so I wound up going that way. They're also much rarer, which appeals to me. The final big decision was the roof. I absolutely adore my moonroof, and open it anytime the weather permits. But the (standard) carbon fiber roof is super sexy and special, so I wound up sticking with it. This will be the first vehicle our family has owned this millennium with a solid, fixed roof.

2023 BMW M3 Base (6MT)
Individual Grigio Telesto Pearl (Lamboroghini color)
Kyalami Orange Full Leather
Parking Assistance Package
Executive Package
M Drive Professional
19"/20" M Double-spoke bi-color wheels, style 825M, w/perf non run-flat tires (19x9.5, 275/35 R19 front and 20x10.5, 285/30 R20 rear)
M Shadowline Lights
Front ventilated seats
Carbon Fiber trim
Icon Adaptive LED Headlights with Laserlight
Drive Recorder
Wireless Device Charging
Personal eSIM 5G
M Carbon Exterior Package

Pretty much fully loaded, with the exception of the Carbon Bucket seats, which are absolutely sweet but I stand zero chance of fitting in comfortably and Carbon Ceramic Brakes, which I kind of wanted for the no-dust factor, but couldn't justify the $8500 pricetag on.
Well, welcome to the club, geko! I was an early adopter, ordering my M4 Competition back in March 2021 and it arrived about 10 weeks later.

We have similar specs, though I got tanzanite blue with the silverstone interior. But I had to get the moonroof. And I got the CCBs. 50,000 miles in 2 years later (yes, several long trips in this car, along with some track time), and the car has been a wonderful companion. Not a single problem.

And we have similar tastes, because I'm currently saving for a manual Porsche Spyder (love the Boxster platform) unless I can find a used GT3 for a reasonable price when the time comes (doubtful). This is my 3rd and likely my last BMW, but they've been pretty damn good to me. I still own 2 right now (I actually have a 2013 M3 convertible which I adore).

Enjoy the G80. It's a great sports sedan platform that you can drive anywhere. BTW, in the Bimmerpost forum, I have the same name. Reach out if you have any questions about mods (yes, I've done a few).

Quick Reply: It's that time....