Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Would your next car be a Lexus?
Yes
56.35%
No
25.40%
Not sure
18.25%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Do you think your next car will be a Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-03, 02:09 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of my pet peeves is buying ***** that don't work. It drives me nuts. From a pen, to a stove, to a t.v to a car. No way I am taking a chance leaving Lexus until I am a multi-millionaire

Couldn't have said it better myself. I feel exactly that way. Some people are of the mindset that high performance/ luxury cars are just going to be tempermental, that you can't have it both ways, and they allow for the regular stays at the dealership. I however, am not one of those people. I refuse to put my local shop on speed dial. I think Lexus wants to be the company that can engineer their cars to be of a reliable high performance nature, and aren't worried with being the absolute TOP in HP etc. (which is ephemeral anyway) - that is fine with me, and it's why I will likely trade up to the next generation GS after the first couple years of depreciation hits them, much as I did when buying my current GS.

For everyone else that needs more speed there are plently of choices, but i'm sold on Lexus because of the way these cars are made.

Last edited by Guitarman; 11-03-03 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-03-03, 05:01 PM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes and maybe.

Yes for my wife. Simply put, the Lexus experience has been so good that she's probably a customer for life. Someone at Toyota had the presence of mind to realize that if you were to produce a high quality car with value and performance as good if not better than the competition and combine that with reliability and a good, solid ownership experience, you'd appeal to more people than not. That's enough for her and she's a Lexus preacher.

I said maybe for me. I'm impressed with the cars and the ownership experiences but many Lexus products just don't quite get the enthusiast in me going. I'm "into" cars enough that I live with the relatively dumpy experiences I have when my S2000 is serviced because an SC430 (as nice a car as it is) doesn't get my blood boiling the way the 1./2 priced Honda does.
Old 11-04-03, 07:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Another Lexus?

Currently have a rather tame IS300 with the 16" wheels, but I think I'll go with an ES or a GS next time. The IS has a dynamite chrome shifter and chronograph dash and yellow paint job that turns heads everywhere,, but the ES is definitely more comfortable to drive. The IS is easier to service, though, with the in-line engine and rear-drive layout.
Old 11-06-03, 08:07 AM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

uh huh. gotta move on up to that 8-cylinder power!!
Old 11-09-03, 09:38 PM
lig
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If/when the wife's ES ever gives up the ghost (even with 150K it's going strong ) I'd like to replace it with another Lexus - but there isn't a current model that really does much for us.

Leaning towards the FX35 since we have an S2000 and an '03 E320 at the moment.
Old 12-26-03, 11:05 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by NRG
no twin turbo Z
thats why they removed the X from the ZX. X = turbo. ie: 240sx 180sx 200sx 300zx were all turbo
im waiting for the skyline R35 and the nissan S15 in 2006-2007. v8 twin turbo on the R35, the s15 will have the same sr20det motor
the only lexus i like is the IS series, althought i never had a choice on my car. i just accept what i get.
i'm sorry but quit posting BS... the X does not mean turbo, it means grand touring... the 300zx was not a sports car, it was a grand touring car, nissan explicitly removed the X on the 350Z because its a sports car...

as for the SX series cars, they are not grand touring; but not all of them are turbo
the 240sx was never in japan, it was the same chassis but a different car altogether, the 200sx over here was nothing but a predecessor to the Sentra

the 240sx and 200sx were never turbocharged over here and there were a ton of nonturbo 300zx and 280zxs (bet you never heard of those did you)

the S15 wont be coming over here according to nissan ever... and the R35 GTR so far looks like its gonna have a TT VQ35 and AWD... the new G35s can alreadu get AWD

the SR20det is not smog legal according to nissan and wont be coming over here...

i know you like making stuff up like the next post you made about listing all the cars with X in them... trust me; i've actually owned a Nissan 300zxTT... and for quite a while too... this is the first time i've ever heard something like that and i was on 300zx internet forums for YEARS, WAY before clublexus even existed

Last edited by Bean; 12-26-03 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-26-03, 01:12 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure, I only just got my GS.
If I like the next generation GS, I will probably replace my current one with that in a couple of years.
Old 12-26-03, 08:16 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

For me, it all depends on the next GS. It i like it as much as the current generation then i will stay with Lexus. If not, then i would buy another brand. Besides the GS, i only really like the LS and SC models, but i dont have the $$$$$$$ to buy them yet.

I wish Lexus would make more car models. They have nothing to compete with the BMW 6series or the MB CLK cars. Lexus should def expand their car lineup IMO to be more competitive. Where is the SC330??
Old 12-28-03, 06:40 PM
vboy418
Lexus Champion

I love my Lexus and looking down the road I can see myself in another Lexus... if I become a multi millionare there will be every lexus model in my drive way with a FI....
Old 12-29-03, 07:39 AM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Corvette with a 7/100k mile warranty of course
Old 12-29-03, 01:41 PM
LexFather

I ain't going anywhere. I am happy with TOTAL ownership. From my car, to my dealer, to ya'll, I am happy.

I know Lexus won't make a AMG/M competitor, so like Mr. Johnson, my main man Jaimie, etc I will make my own A SC/GS/IS 300 of some sort with forced induction is in my future. Or even a GS 400 supercharged.

One of my pet peeves is buying ***** that don't work. It drives me nuts. From a pen, to a stove, to a t.v to a car. No way I am taking a chance leaving Lexus until I am a multi-millionaire
Wow, I wrote hours before my wreck. Now I am in that boat. FUnny, but the 11 year old ES 300 runs fine, the interior has held up GREAT, looks better than hella new cars.

I was talking to a fellow Lexus owner at my car show yesterday and we agreed, overall, nothing equals Lexus ownership. We discussed how we convinced others to buy their first Lexus and how happy they are.

I am IN DIRE need of a Lexus coupe though. They say a IS coupe is coming next but we'll see.

Old 12-29-03, 10:19 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

99% yes. I still haven't owned a convertible yet. Don't really have $60K+ either to spend on the SC. I'm still in love w/ my RX330, the ride height and smoothness... I sometimes miss my '01 IS.
Old 12-30-03, 06:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default LexoGOOD Mercedes?

Don't be seduced by AMG horsepower ratings. Mercedes is putting so much money and advertising these days into big horsepower and torque ratings that they are seriously neglecting build quality. This is not just me talking......you can check many other sources. The serious quality decline in recent Mercedes products has been documented in many auto-test magazines, consumer magazines, long-term tests, warranty work, arbitration, lemon-laws, etc....
Of course, it's your money.....and AMG's aren't cheap. But in my book, 200-300 reliable horsepower is a lot better than 400, 500, (and even 600 in some cases) unreliable horsepower. And of course, you get no horsepower in the repair shop.
Old 12-30-03, 10:51 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX

I am IN DIRE need of a Lexus coupe though. They say a IS coupe is coming next but we'll see.
Completely agree......... Why cant Lexus make another coupe already??? Somewhere in the 35-50k range would be nice.
Old 12-31-03, 12:21 AM
lig
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Went to my dealer today. They say no SC330 on the horizon but look for an IS coupe and convertible to happen some time in the future.

That would be nice!

Quick Reply: Do you think your next car will be a Lexus?