Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Carvana versus Lexus dealer

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-23, 07:25 PM
albanypark
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Carvana versus Lexus dealer

If you’re in the market for a late model used Lexus would you feel confident buying from Carvana versus a Lexus certified dealer?
Old 04-11-23, 07:58 PM
xGS350x
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd probably go with Lexus since they have everything that's needed to fix the car if needed.
Old 04-12-23, 02:51 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

Buy from Carvana if you don't like having the title from your vehicle or being able to register and drive it.

Seriously, they've paid tens of millions in fines and been outright banned from doing business in several states (including mine) for violating legal requirements of auto sales.
Old 04-12-23, 04:59 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by albanypark
If you’re in the market for a late model used Lexus would you feel confident buying from Carvana versus a Lexus certified dealer?
It's all about price and trust. When you say "Lexus certified dealer", I assume you don't mean a "certified pre-owned". So no matter where you are buying from, you're getting a used car. Sure the Lexus dealer will have better snacks, but get the best car for the best price; or if not the best price, get value for the extra price you are paying.

That said, do your research. There's lots of articles out there about bad experiences with Carvana.
Old 04-12-23, 05:32 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Buy from Carvana if you don't like having the title from your vehicle or being able to register and drive it.

Seriously, they've paid tens of millions in fines and been outright banned from doing business in several states (including mine) for violating legal requirements of auto sales.
I'm in IL and Caravna has been banned at least twice from selling cars in the state. They were reinstated each time, but still... I might sell a car to them but probably wouldn't buy one.
Old 04-12-23, 10:11 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

We recently sold our car to Carvana, and based on that experience, I wouldn't feel comfortable buying a car from them. I expected them to at least do a quick mechanical inspection of the car before giving us a check, but they didn't. All they looked at were for largish dents on the exterior, and made sure the car started. This took all of 2-3 mins or less. I mean it was great as the person selling the car, but I can imagine how a few undesirable cars sneaking into their inventory this way.
Old 04-13-23, 11:33 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

I have seen Lexus dealers do the same, no checks ; I actually sold my LX570 to Lexus and they didn’t care; my car was tip top and in 2 hours was their site for 12k+ plus what I traded it in.
It was sold 3 days later.
I have also bought cars from Lexus where I had to go back and complain that brakes are pulsating and need to be changed / low brake pads etc.
actually the last rx I bought had 2-3 visits back to the dealer. I would have done the work myself.
I guess end of the day it depends if you see good history on the car I will buy. It’s the same seen or unseen regardless of the dealer;
Originally Posted by jwong77
We recently sold our car to Carvana, and based on that experience, I wouldn't feel comfortable buying a car from them. I expected them to at least do a quick mechanical inspection of the car before giving us a check, but they didn't. All they looked at were for largish dents on the exterior, and made sure the car started. This took all of 2-3 mins or less. I mean it was great as the person selling the car, but I can imagine how a few undesirable cars sneaking into their inventory this way.
Old 04-13-23, 04:55 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 220 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by UZ214
I have seen Lexus dealers do the same, no checks ; I actually sold my LX570 to Lexus and they didn’t care; my car was tip top and in 2 hours was their site for 12k+ plus what I traded it in.
It was sold 3 days later.
I have also bought cars from Lexus where I had to go back and complain that brakes are pulsating and need to be changed / low brake pads etc.
actually the last rx I bought had 2-3 visits back to the dealer. I would have done the work myself.
I guess end of the day it depends if you see good history on the car I will buy. It’s the same seen or unseen regardless of the dealer;
Had the same thing happen at a Lexus dealer when I bought my IS. Sold them my old Camry, they checked if it ran, checked exterior real quick, and it was listed on their site and gone within a week (this was back in 2014-2015). I was surprised since it had 150k miles, but I know they sold it since I saw it being driven around a month later with their dealer plate frame.
Old 04-14-23, 08:09 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Carvana has a return period right? Good luck doing that at Lexus if you find something wrong.