Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2024 Mercedes E class

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-23, 09:30 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

This is a very nice-looking car. I love the fact that it's lowkey but in your face. IMO All these sedans with huge grills look terrible.
What's disappointing...
I never thought I would see the day that were driving Computers on wheels.
Old 04-26-23, 09:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,458 Likes on 1,612 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I would say the 223 is clearly an evolution of the 222 design. Not a dramatic departure at all.
everything's evolutionary in one sense - there's no real 'clean sheet' design... even for a company like lucid or rivian, a lot of those designers/engineers came from other older brands.

What hes saying is with Mercedes design comes down from the S Class typically. The E Class is not a sign of the future of the S Class, the E Class is a derivative of the S Class design.
if by 'design' you just mean the exterior, ok, but if it means the whole car, why doesn't the s-class have a hyperscreen option already, or phone as key option... does it have the 10.5 degree rear steer option?
Old 04-26-23, 09:33 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Not a fan. But I'm not a fan of much new these days either.

They are taking styling cues from god-awful looking EVs of theirs and putting them on legacy models. The grille pops out way too much.

The taillights are horrendous.

As a child I thought touchscreens everywhere in the future would be just the neatest thing imaginable, now we have it and lots of people don't like it including myself. It's not just cars either, we have some fancy alarm panel that's a screen. I miss being able to hit the code from a keypad and not having to look or divert my eyes to enter it, and yes that's ollllllld tech tried and true.
Old 04-26-23, 09:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
if by 'design' you just mean the exterior, ok, but if it means the whole car, why doesn't the s-class have a hyperscreen option already, or phone as key option... does it have the 10.5 degree rear steer option?
By design I mean styling and design direction. Yes the W223 has a 10.5 inch rear steer option.
Old 04-26-23, 11:05 AM
xGS350x
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Not a fan. But I'm not a fan of much new these days either.

They are taking styling cues from god-awful looking EVs of theirs and putting them on legacy models. The grille pops out way too much.

The taillights are horrendous.

As a child I thought touchscreens everywhere in the future would be just the neatest thing imaginable, now we have it and lots of people don't like it including myself. It's not just cars either, we have some fancy alarm panel that's a screen. I miss being able to hit the code from a keypad and not having to look or divert my eyes to enter it, and yes that's ollllllld tech tried and true.
We have the technology today that wasn't available before to make the most beautiful and useful cars than ever before but I believe the tools we have are not being used correctly. Imagine how great a 2001 GS would be today if we applied the modern production techniques to it. Instead what is happening is that one area is expanding at a rapid rate like touch screens. Touch screens are great technology but it needs to be used in a way that is in harmony with everything else. As it is its trying to take over.
Old 04-26-23, 12:01 PM
1111GS

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

Doesn't look too bad overall except the tail which... can be replaced with aftermarket. They know their sedan tails are bad but haven't been able to figured out how to fix it?
Are you saying none of MB at the moment has a phone key? The last time I talked to an SA, he said they chose not to offer because ..."you know if you use your phone and your phone dies, you can't go home!" Then I asked what about the plastic key... "you know it's for security. What if someone lost your wallet?" Lol
Old 04-26-23, 12:06 PM
1111GS

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by xGS350x
We have the technology today that wasn't available before to make the most beautiful and useful cars than ever before but I believe the tools we have are not being used correctly. Imagine how great a 2001 GS would be today if we applied the modern production techniques to it. Instead what is happening is that one area is expanding at a rapid rate like touch screens. Touch screens are great technology but it needs to be used in a way that is in harmony with everything else. As it is its trying to take over.
You don't think 2013GS is a huge improvement? I mean you like the chrome but other that, everything else is way better. No?
Old 04-26-23, 12:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,458 Likes on 1,612 Posts

Originally Posted by xGS350x
thats kinda off topic but the LED and halogen bulbs subcribed to two different schools of getting something done.

The halogen bulb, although not as bright, will be easier on your eyes as the details of the roads are less pronounced. And they are easily replaced if it happens to burn out. Also, your forerunner does not use projectors, which means its not as good.
you just can't let the past go, can you. halogens SUCK IN EVERY WAY compared to modern lighting.
Old 04-26-23, 12:40 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,162 Likes on 1,682 Posts

you just can't let the past go, can you. halogens SUCK IN EVERY WAY compared to modern lighting.
Man, I didn't want to get sucked into this, but here it goes:

LED's are way better, and more advanced than Halogens. Way more. They run cooler, they run brighter. They last longer. They are energy efficient, and soon in the US (already a feature in Europe) they will enable Smart Adaptive features that can shine full brights without blinding oncoming traffic, or people in front of you. The only pro's of halogens are that they are cheaper, but so is a Pentium II based computer running Win 3.1 from the 90's
Old 04-26-23, 01:13 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I must say, I really like the interior sans additional screen:
Old 04-26-23, 01:26 PM
Tritonal
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I have really been struggling with the styling of Mercedes sedans for many years. I used to love them, but the droopy back end is something I just can't seem to get on board with. They're doing well so I understand my opinion doesn't represent the majority, and I'm glad they are offering sedans, but there's just no way I would buy one of these. Very impressive effort and tech, but for me, it stops with the styling.
Completely agree with this. The latest crop of MB products just look so bloated and dare I say generic. I can barely tell the difference between the C, E and S class lol.
Old 04-26-23, 01:38 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Tritonal
I can barely tell the difference between the C, E and S class lol.
So just like the good 'ole days

Old 04-26-23, 02:20 PM
xGS350x
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Don’t be rediculous we know that there’s good and bad things from the past. I’m just touching on things that were done right and forgotten about.
Old 04-26-23, 02:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed

They look all the same .
Old 04-26-23, 03:00 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed

Absolutely.

Remember when there was no cheap Mercedes? They all used to cost a fortune.

Quick Reply: 2024 Mercedes E class