Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW G60 / i5

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-23, 03:51 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by gor134
The F10 was gorgeous. It's ratio of the 3 "boxes" of proportion are perfect. Long flat hood with a short overhang, sporty round roofline, and a flat trunk aligning with the hood. The best looking 5er easily, next to the E34.

G30 looked okay too, better in LCI guise, but overall came out as a "F10 but fussier/bulkier" imo.

This new G60 just looks so FWD in design.. very high hoodline taller than the beltline, sloping down to a pointy nose with a long overhang, a tall greenhouse with an awkwardly short trunk line.... Not a fan at all.
100% agree

G30 is not bad design but its not as timeless like F10.
Obviously E39 and E34 are also amazing designs as well.

Its a great time to get G30 as you can get great pricing. I was close to getting one but ultimately ordered another X3 due to the kids. Need at least one car in the family with no compromises.
Old 05-24-23, 03:53 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Only difference is the wheels lol
There are no body / bumper differences. Looks great to me in Alpine White.

You still didn’t show me a good angle on G60 that you like so much.
Well I never said anything about the G60 in my post, so why would I show you any angle? BUT I specifically said that the 18" wheels on the F10 make a huge difference in how the car looks.
Old 05-24-23, 04:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

You gotta let go of the past RNM, or buy something from that era and hang onto it. That 5 Series looked good, but it does look dated now.
Old 05-24-23, 07:22 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You gotta let go of the past RNM, or buy something from that era and hang onto it. That 5 Series looked good, but it does look dated now.
LOL I’m holding on to all my OLD stuff

My F80 M3 is ancient, just enough tech even has fancy heads up display and CD changer.

I have a new X3 on the way, with the boring traditional BMW styling, good old shifter and no giant computer screen that makes you go through menus to turn on heated seats!

BTW there is no excuse for poor design.
Objectively the new 5series is ugly and so are the pig nose BMW models.

Check the review i did on the i4 - the cars themselves are still very good unfortunately the styling and “modern” tech are not for me personally.
Old 05-24-23, 07:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

People are buying them, so not everybody thinks they are ugly. I have seen several new 7s on the road now, I see a ton of refresh X7s, tons of 4 Series with the pig nose.

There isn’t any such thing as “objectively ugly”. Whether something is ugly or beautifully is always subjective.
Old 05-24-23, 07:30 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tex2670
Well I never said anything about the G60 in my post, so why would I show you any angle? BUT I specifically said that the 18" wheels on the F10 make a huge difference in how the car looks.
It seems you hinted that F10 only looks good in higher trim so I offered to compare it to a G60 in the higher trim which is the “M60” model.

I completely agree that Msport and 19in wheels improve the looks but even a base F10 528i was a beautiful design that ppl liked from the get go. Its still looks great today almost 15yrs later especially following the controversial and hideous E60 5er.

BTW my F10 535i was one of the best cars I had so im very biased!
Old 05-24-23, 07:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

BMW is no stranger to controversial design. Much more daring than Mercedes and has typically been.
Old 05-24-23, 07:37 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

People are buying them, so not everybody thinks they are ugly. I have seen several new 7s on the road now, I see a ton of refresh X7s, tons of 4 Series with the pig nose.

There isn’t any such thing as “objectively ugly”. Whether something is ugly or beautifully is always subjective.
I still see WAY more e9x and F3x 3series / 4series than the new ones with pig nose grill. In fact even on the forums ppl don’t buy them anymore. The old 4series had huge following with mods and tuning etc while the current gen is pretty much dead. The gran coupe was a HUGE seller for the F3x gen while the new one has not gained much traction. I have seen a few more i4s recently but not coupes or convertibles.

The 7series just came out and it’s barely keeping pace with Sclass thats been out for some time now.
X7 looks great to me and its sales are through the roof.
Actually all the SUVs look great that BMW has.
Old 05-24-23, 07:42 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

BMW is no stranger to controversial design. Much more daring than Mercedes and has typically been.
There is a difference in controversial design and hideous design.

There is nothing controversial about new 7 series - its just ugly.
Same for this new 5er - the proportions are FWD and front / hood is straight from the FWD 2 series.

This is a great BMW design:

Old 05-24-23, 07:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don’t pay enough attention to see whether there are more of the older ones than the newer ones, but I see a lot of the new ones.

The 7 Series has never outsold the S Class even when brand new and the S Class is into its model run. Keeping up with the S Class is a huge win for BMW. Besides, if the 7 were “objectively ugly” wouldn’t nobody buy it?

Like it or not there are plenty of people who like these designs. Just like the Bangle designs, people *****ed about them but they sold a ton of them.

I think BMWs seem to alternate between being totally anonymous and being over the top. The last two gens of the 7 and 5 have been very anonymous and very similar, these models really stand out.

Watching videos now on YouTube it looks way better than it does in those stills. This will do fine. The 7 has also grown on me a lot.
Old 05-24-23, 07:52 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

I actually think it looks worse in the videos.

I do agree the new 7er stands out more but not in a good way like an Sclass which makes you want to stare at it. The 7er makes you say WTF is that. I have seen a handful on the highway and its not a pretty sight.

The XM has been an utter disaster for BMW so that goes to show how their new styling language is being perceived when you need to heavily discount your new halo performance SUV while there are waiting lists for Cayenne GTS, Lambo Urus etc.
Old 05-24-23, 07:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My friend who has a new 760 says he gets a TON of compliments on it. More than any car he’s ever had, and he has a Mclaren and a Ferrari…the 760 replaced an SV RR Sport.

I applaud them for being different. For the first time in the 7 it makes a clear argument for why someone would choose one over an S Class.
Old 05-24-23, 08:23 PM
gor134
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I applaud them for being different. For the first time in the 7 it makes a clear argument for why someone would choose one over an S Class.
Other than the very sporty E38 of course, which IMO was an incredibly compelling choice to take over the S Classes of it's time 😉

But I do agree, BMW did full size luxury incredibly well (bar the questionable looks) but the luxury is absolutely all there. Whereas Merc chose a more evolutionary/complacent route with the 223 trying to ride off the 222's success.
Old 05-24-23, 08:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

People are buying them, so not everybody thinks they are ugly.
people bought pontiac aztek's too, but the vast concensus was that they were an ugly design.

true but there is popular and unpopular.
Old 05-24-23, 08:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

My friend who has a new 760 says he gets a TON of compliments on it.
i think you've mentioned that before, but there may be 'tons more' who don't say anything because they think it's fugly. but hey, if you friend loves it, that's all that matters. i don't buy cars to get compliments.

More than any car he’s ever had, and he has a Mclaren and a Ferrari…the 760 replaced an SV RR Sport.
the mclaren and ferrari probably don't get out of the garage nearly as much.

Quick Reply: BMW G60 / i5