Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus TX

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-24 | 02:43 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I did drive it, its fine...but it feels like every other unibody FWD 3 row crossover...no better than a Palisade or Telluride
Yep, and that's IMO unacceptable for a $80k+ vehicle inflation be damned. Even if we adjust down for the last 3 years it's still a 60k car
Old 01-12-24 | 02:45 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I have moved on as has everybody else who was a Lexus fan and appreciated their higher end vehicles. Look around, how many of us oldtime members here still are Lexus customers? Not many, and those that are still have older cars. Go to BMW, Audi and MB forums, TONS of previous Lexus customers there. How many former customers of those brands are here? Not many. Back in the glory days the LS, GS, SC and IS forums were full of ex-German car owners.
This is true..... And something I hadn't thought about. 20 years ago the forums actually were like that.

Goes to show how well they used to make cars and now they just don't really care.
Old 01-12-24 | 02:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
So when it was just the LS, ES, GS, and SC?
Prior to the LX being released in 1995. Lexus launched with the LS and ES, and the ES was just a quickly thrown together model that was demanded by the dealer network. Then came the SC and the GS.

The RX was also designed from the get go to be a Lexus, and it was sold in Japan as the Toyota Harrier but was designed alongisde the RX as a Lexus. At the time the RX was really a great vehicle too, as everybody else had truck based SUVs etc the RX felt extremely luxurious.
Old 01-12-24 | 02:49 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223
GX offers V8 and other options impossible on a 4Runner as well as being actually nice inside and not a hollow plastic box.
When the GX470 came out, it had the same 4.7 liter V8 as the 4Runner. The original GX was based off of the 4Runner.
Old 01-12-24 | 02:53 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

I guess when a regular Highlander can easily run $55k, and an NX can run into the $60k range, I just don't see $55k for a base TX, or even $69k for a mid level (500h) version as being ridiculous. I totally get if folks just don't like it, but for me the pricing is in line with what I would expect.
Old 01-12-24 | 02:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I guess when a regular Highlander can easily run $55k, and an NX can run into the $60k range, I just don't see $55k for a base TX, or even $69k for a mid level (500h) version as being ridiculous. I totally get if folks just don't like it, but for me the pricing is in line with what I would expect.
The question is what do you get? I can pay more for an E Class than my S Class cost...it all depends on options.

The pricing for the TX makes sense in Toyota and Lexus' lineup, the problem is the product is just not a big enough upgrade from the GH to justify that price IMO. The pricing would be no problem if the product was what it should be.
Old 01-12-24 | 03:01 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

The question is what do you get? I can pay more for an E Class than my S Class cost...it all depends on options.

The pricing for the TX makes sense in Toyota and Lexus' lineup, the problem is the product is just not a big enough upgrade from the GH to justify that price IMO. The pricing would be no problem if the product was what it should be.
I think the biggest threat to the TX is the GH, no doubt. I've watched a lot of reviews online discussing that exact issue with mixed results/conclusions. When I looked at both back to back, I felt like the TX was a huge upgrade over the GH, but clearly not everyone feels the same way. I totally get that.
Old 01-12-24 | 03:11 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I also think the LX has a selling proposition and is a unique offering,
Sitting in the LX, I could see myself driving that...
Oh really? Bet you never thought you'd say that...

I do agree though, LX does have the cachet even if it is outclassed in all the regular areas people usually go for (size, V8 power, room). It's the niche vehicle thing that makes them appealing, or part of it. It has no V8 which is unacceptable to me but I'm not a buyer anyway.

About 80k buying a Tahoe, even though it's too big for you etc... they feel expensive at least, and I'd say a hell of a lot more substantial than a rebadged Grand Hylander, too. But if you can't fit one in your garage, it's moot.

I sat in a new LX but never drove it, I'd like to but I don't want to waste the guy's time.
Old 01-12-24 | 03:17 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

I actually really like the new LX. Had the chance to check one out (though not drive it). The new one is definitely smaller inside than I had expected, but I really liked the layout. It could totally work for us. I need to check out towing capacities as it would be a nice companion for our trailer. I also sat in the new Sequoia, and it's was a lot better than I had expected, though the cargo compartment is the biggest drawback.

It's all just chatter though. I don't intend to own another 3 row vehicle.
Old 01-12-24 | 03:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

When I looked at both back to back, I felt like the TX was a huge upgrade over the GH, but clearly not everyone feels the same way. I totally get that.
Having looked at both in person I just don't see how that can be the case...

Originally Posted by AJT123
Oh really? Bet you never thought you'd say that...
No I get the LX, if I were going to buy a big BOF SUV I would consider one over an Escalade just because its not as big.
Old 01-12-24 | 03:28 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Having looked at both in person I just don't see how that can be the case...

No I get the LX, if I were going to buy a big BOF SUV I would consider one over an Escalade just because its not as big.
And you feel the 3rd row space of a TX/GH is comparable to that of a Palisade which literally blew my mind. We're even.
Old 01-12-24 | 04:07 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

I actually really like the new LX. Had the chance to check one out (though not drive it). The new one is definitely smaller inside than I had expected, but I really liked the layout. It could totally work for us. I need to check out towing capacities as it would be a nice companion for our trailer. I also sat in the new Sequoia, and it's was a lot better than I had expected, though the cargo compartment is the biggest drawback.

It's all just chatter though. I don't intend to own another 3 row vehicle.
I test drove the new Sequoia, drives nice but it's looks are very "small" next to mine. Doesn't really like like much more than a highlander from outside and I was really taken back by that.

Interior was underwhelming as hell for top trim level and the ride was not great due to loss of RIS, most major issue was the huge step back in interior usability for me. No reason at all for me to consider trading
Old 01-12-24 | 04:16 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223
I test drove the new Sequoia, drives nice but it's looks are very "small" next to mine. Doesn't really like like much more than a highlander from outside and I was really taken back by that.

Interior was underwhelming as hell for top trim level and the ride was not great due to loss of RIS, most major issue was the huge step back in interior usability for me. No reason at all for me to consider trading
I really like the gen of Sequoia that you have. I don't get the Highlander vibes from the current one at all, but that is probably subjective. In fact, I really love the looks of it and styling wise, easily my favorite Sequoia. Did you look at a Capstone? I like the interiors, with the exception of the cargo area, but I could live with it.
Old 01-12-24 | 04:34 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

I really like the gen of Sequoia that you have. I don't get the Highlander vibes from the current one at all, but that is probably subjective. In fact, I really love the looks of it and styling wise, easily my favorite Sequoia. Did you look at a Capstone? I like the interiors, with the exception of the cargo area, but I could live with it.
Yes with top driveline and all possible options in black since thats how mine was specced and I keep mine inside 99% of the time and black looks great when perfect/acting as a garage ornament. I always buy absolute top spec when it's a new car, it's just how I do stuff.

Interior material and quality was good but for the price I would be unsure since it would be my tow car and a Range Rover used is the same cost...and those tow amazingly well with a better interior. For reference for how little it's used the Sequoia currently has 58k miles lol!

The styling is just weird to me. It visually looks "short" with a fat chin in person, the old one looks much "taller" and monolithic/imposing. The new one really just strikes me as a big HL or a lowered 2500 class truck. Very big front facia

My largest issue is now that I know how to work on stuff like I can I don't want new anymore. I would rather pay the same amount I would wise pay for higher end used car, I can't yet afford brand new best of the best so I buy one gen back best of the best.

Last edited by Striker223; 01-12-24 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-12-24 | 04:39 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I actually really like the new LX. Had the chance to check one out (though not drive it). The new one is definitely smaller inside than I had expected, but I really liked the layout. It could totally work for us. .
It is smaller inside which I wasn't crazy about, or it feels smaller at least.

A++++++++ on the front seat comfort though, wow.

I like the LX but I just hate that they took so much weight and armor out of it for fuel economy.

Also, they sold nearly 7,000 of them in 2023. That is about double LX570 sales, nothing to write home about but sales have increased. This also may be because the Land Cruiser in that iteration isn't available here

Quick Reply: Lexus TX