Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus TX

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-23, 07:03 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Black D-pillar is just aping Range Rover. Even Ford and Lincoln have done it.
Old 05-13-23, 07:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,769 Likes on 1,977 Posts

Thats not the TX, thats a new Infiniti QX60.

Which is an incredibly nice vehicle, by the way. Its on my list for sure.
Old 05-13-23, 07:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Motorola
Black D-pillar is just aping Range Rover. Even Ford and Lincoln have done it.
To be fair, my 1995 Explorer had a black D pillar, which the explorer had since 1991, the black D pillar is not a new design.
Old 05-14-23, 05:27 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW17LS
To be fair, my 1995 Explorer had a black D pillar, which the explorer had since 1991, the black D pillar is not a new design.
It's not, but it's been a staple of the Range Rover well before it was on the Ford. This one is all the way back from 1981.

Old 05-14-23, 08:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The point is every vehicle with a black d pillar is not trying to look like a Range Rover.
Old 05-14-23, 11:27 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

The point is every vehicle with a black d pillar is not trying to look like a Range Rover.
I totally disagree- the black D-pillar is a Range Rover design signature. Lexus and everyone else added that in there because they were conscious of that as an "upscale design feature" thanks to its association with Range Rover. Just like the lettering on front of the hood.
Old 05-14-23, 12:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This vehicle is not trying to look like a Range Rover:

Old 05-14-23, 12:12 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

It's not, but it's been a staple of the Range Rover well before it was on the Ford. This one is all the way back from 1981.

I totally disagree- the black D-pillar is a Range Rover design signature. Lexus and everyone else added that in there because they were conscious of that as an "upscale design feature" thanks to its association with Range Rover. Just like the lettering on front of the hood.
Thank you, don't even be swayed from your perspective. I entirely agree with you. Unfortunately a number of people on this forum just seem to think everything they say is the final answer and there's no room for other possibilities, when it's a matter of mere opinion against a timeline of facts. (I tend to mind my business and ignore...)

Even as a Ford guy, I can see the Range Rover influence is not missed and that old Explorer introduced in 1990, borrowed from it too.

The lines of QX60, Aviator, and etc clearly borrowed from RR. They didn't copy each other, but definitely had a central target they all benchmarked likely and ended up at the same place.

That being said, kind of off-topic when the QX60 is not a Lexus, but this definitely isn't your fault.
Old 05-14-23, 12:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Carmaker1
Thank you, don't even be swayed from your perspective. I entirely agree with you. Unfortunately a number of people on this forum just seem to think everything they say is the final answer and there's no room for other possibilities, when it's a matter of mere opinion against a timeline of facts. (I tend to mind my business and ignore...)
Do you not see the irony of a statement that says "some people just seem to think everything they say is the final answer and there's no room for other possibilities" and "your opinion is right and everybody else is wrong" in the same sentence is absurd? I enjoy your posts and your content, but you also never allow anybody to disagree with you...and you have been quite often proven wrong.

Even as a Ford guy, I can see the Range Rover influence is not missed and that old Explorer introduced in 1990, borrowed from it too.
I don't see it in any way on that old Explorer. Its literally a Ford Ranger with 4 doors on it, I don't see it trying to be anything except what it is.

The lines of QX60, Aviator, and etc clearly borrowed from RR. They didn't copy each other, but definitely had a central target they all benchmarked likely and ended up at the same place.
No doubt with those vehicles, I just don't see it in that Explorer (I do with newer Explorers) and I don't believe simply a black D pillar is enough to say a vehicle design is "trying to be a Range Rover".
Old 05-14-23, 12:33 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

@SW17LS To be honest, that's not really really accurate. I am rarely wrong about many things, one would have to nitpick very carefully on that. I would need a solid record of that to believe it as often. To measure it against fact and fiction.

Re-reading what I just typed, I am sorry if that came out coldly, but I just get the impression Motorola is sometimes uncomfortable sharing their opinion at times and gets backed into a corner.

I meant that generally, in terms of the responses they get all around on subject matter, which often puts Motorola on the defensive. I mind my business generally, to not add to an argument and make it spiral out of control.

I can't really keep up with daily forum discussion, so while I say too much, I'm rarely logged in? I don't know how everyone else does it regularly. I pretty much keep to myself.

Old 05-14-23, 12:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Carmaker1
@SW17LS To be honest, that's not really really accurate. I am rarely wrong about many things, one would have to nitpick very carefully on that. I would need a solid record of that to believe it as often. To measure it against fact and fiction.

Re-reading what I just typed, I am sorry if that came out coldly, but I just get the impression Motorola is sometimes uncomfortable sharing their opinion at times and gets backed into a corner.

I meant that generally, in terms of the responses they get all around on subject matter, which often puts Motorola on the defensive. I mind my business generally, to not add to an argument and make it spiral out of control.

I can't really keep up with daily forum discussion, so while I say too much, I'm rarely logged in? I don't know how everyone else does it regularly. I pretty much keep to myself.
Motorola is in no way shape or form uncomfortable sharing his opinion lol.

Worry about yourself and how you post, you literally described yourself in your characterization of everybody else.
Old 05-14-23, 01:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Not even close. Lol. The A-Pillars are different
Spoiler

Old 05-14-23, 01:03 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

I appreciate it but I think I can speak for myself. There's no need to get personal over a black D pillar lol.

Neither is the TX but it, the Infiniti, and a boatlaod of other vehicles sure as heck wants that association. Like the Ford, it was a decision fully conscious of the design signature of the Range Rover and what it represented (prestige). Black D pillar is a Range Rover design signature, like the kidney grilles of a BMW- that's really not up for debate.
Old 05-14-23, 01:29 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Motorola is in no way shape or form uncomfortable sharing his opinion lol.

Worry about yourself and how you post, you literally described yourself in your characterization of everybody else.
I'm not going off topic on this any further. There's a lot that can be said about discourse here, but one thing I don't do is get into back and forth long drawn out arguments, like some of you do, to the point a moderator has to cut in between.

Nor do I err on the side of getting things wrong "very often". Some people might have their own one-sided issues with me and frankly I don't make it my business. I keep it moving and if you do make it a public matter, I will tell you off rightfully.

Getting a few things wrong recently, somehow gives you the license to claim "very often". I actually know what I do get wrong and keep a mental record of it. They are small stuff that I can count on one hand, save for only 1 big thing related to a non-Lexus vehicle in the 2024 Tacoma. And why did I meet *that* issue? Bad secondhand insight, from (formerly) trusted people over a short, but recent period of time and ignoring my intuition.

I'm not impressed with MB decisions lately and my ignorance of EQ models' future in relation to the lineup, being casually shared as a worry, is not a statement of fact. You know that very well and I already addressed it.

The most recent correction from an aloof user regarding Toyota HQ events, was a guess of mine, not a statement of fact. Otherwise, I see nothing else wrong I've stated at all on this forum recently. If someone cannot provide proof of "wrong very often", then it's slander.

Many of you CL users, seem to believe you have the floor to comment on whatever you wish to, while those of us who are not so regular like me, should just stay silent and nary a comment be made.

If I disagree with something stated and feel it paints a false narrative, I comment. Is anyone else different in that regard? No. Am I lengthy about it? Yes.

There's an unspoken frostiness I observe, but that's the issue of whomever holds it. I do a very good *job* of keeping things accurate as possible, as that's my main mantra. Picking at a literal few mistakes of mine, would be laughably slanted.

I do not like strife and unnecessary confrontation. I would rather this doesn't continue to go in this direction.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 05-14-23 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Typo with "job"
Old 05-14-23, 01:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Then why not stop posting here if the place is so terrible? We won’t miss you.

Quick Reply: Lexus TX