Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rear Inner Tire Wear

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-23 | 06:30 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Default Rear Inner Tire Wear

Note: I did post this one the 3IS forums to see how I can correct the rear inner tire wear, but my concern here is what you guys think of the condition of said tire; should I take their word and replace?

So I’m kinda scratching my head on this. Came to Discount Tire to fix a flat (which turns out the nail hadn’t even gone through) and balance all 4 while I was at it, and turns out my 2 rears are having inner tire wear. The drivers side isn’t bad but the right side is getting bad and the DT employee told me I can probably get 200 miles at most safely out of them. Was not expecting this. What do y’all think? I had the car aligned with 200 miles because the wheel was off center and the verdict was that the right rear toe was out of spec, but now that is the tire wearing the most…

I should add that I am currently at 13,800 on these tires. Admittedly I’ve gotten more out of these tires than I expected. Also, the lighting in the picture doesn't help because the 7PM sun is making the inside face of the tire look golden which some may confuse as cords or the like. I have 0 cords showing and I still have a tiny bit of the groves on the inside face, it is just definitely wearing down on the inside portion. The 3 outermost sipes are at 5/32" and the innermost is at 4/32" which is why I feel like I could get another 1-2000 out of these tires.

Last edited by TipsyTonio; 05-11-23 at 06:33 AM.
Old 05-11-23 | 07:12 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

probably need to get your alignment checked, you may have a bit too much negative camber. Are you lowered by chance?

Also, if the tires are not directional (doesn't look like they are), you could have them re-mounted on the opposite wheels (don't just swap wheels) so that the outside shoulders become the inside.
Old 05-11-23 | 07:21 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Originally Posted by geko29
probably need to get your alignment checked, you may have a bit too much negative camber. Are you lowered by chance?

Also, if the tires are not directional (doesn't look like they are), you could have them re-mounted on the opposite wheels (don't just swap wheels) so that the outside shoulders become the inside.
Thank you for this. I am not lowered as of yet though I was considering it. I definitely plan on getting the alignment checked out this weekend. As far as swapping the tires side to side, I wouldn’t be able to as the tire does have a face that says outside, and as such I’d still have the portion on the inside. I went back and found my scan of the alignment done back in January of 2022 at 200 miles and I had -2.1 camber on the passenger rear and -1.8 on the drivers rear, which would explain the inner tire wear and why it’s worst on the passenger side. The PDF I had was tough to see but here it is. Having said that, would you feel comfortable riding these tires out a bit more?

Old 05-11-23 | 07:24 AM
Longevite1
Intermediate

My current rears the same like your, camber is -1.9 for the passenger side, I'm looking to get a new set soon.