Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Retro-Write-Up: 1995-2000 Ford Contour/Mercury Mystique

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-23, 10:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Trackruner
I hate this. What is the line between 0 and 15? 7? 10? That would drive me nuts, lol
Originally Posted by SW17LS
LOL, 7 1/2?! Would drive me nuts too
That was done, back in the 70s and early 80s, to make it easier for those few drivers who actually obeyed the speed limit...it highlighted the 55.

Old 05-17-23, 01:27 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,006 Likes on 801 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the mercury mystique was also fondly known as the mercury mistake.
I dated a girl back in the day that always called her car, my Mercury Mistake".

Always thought she was trying to be funny.

Now I know where she got that from, had no idea it was a catchy saying for the cars reputation.
Old 05-17-23, 01:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Margate330
I dated a girl back in the day that always called her car, my Mercury Mistake".

Always thought she was trying to be funny.

Now I know where she got that from, had no idea it was a catchy saying for the cars reputation.
I certainly didn't see it as a mistake...in fact, I liked the Mercury version a little more than the Ford.

Just out of curiosity, if you know, or were still dating her at the time, what did she replace it with? Many people, back then, of course, were starting to move to crossovers....particularly the upcoming Ford Escape.
Old 05-17-23, 01:48 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,006 Likes on 801 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I certainly didn't see it as a mistake...in fact, I liked the Mercury version a little more than the Ford.

Just out of curiosity, if you know, or were still dating her at the time, what did she replace it with? Many people, back then, of course, were starting to move to crossovers....particularly the upcoming Ford Escape.
I'm really not sure, we didn't keep in touch long and I never drove the car because she'd park at my house and ride with me.
All I remember is she called one day to say her car was back in the shop and how much she hated the car and regretted buying it and that's when I heard her say Mercury Mistake for the first time.

Car looks ok and another good review btw!
Old 05-17-23, 01:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Margate330
I'm really not sure, we didn't keep in touch long and I never drove the car because she'd park at my house and ride with me.
All I remember is she called one day to say her car was back in the shop and how much she hated the car and regretted buying it and that's when I heard her say Mercury Mistake for the first time.

Car looks ok and another good review btw!

Thanks. I'm sorry she wasn't satisfied. It was a good effort on Ford's part.
Old 05-17-23, 02:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
The Toyota Camry was one of the cars used as a benchmark
it was nowhere close to the size of a camry. narrow, back seats were NOT roomy... it was more corolla sized than camry.

yes it handled well for a front drive econobox but it was GUTLESS. i enjoyed it as a rental because being so low on power i could always accelerate foot to the floor.
Old 05-17-23, 02:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

it was nowhere close to the size of a camry. narrow, back seats were NOT roomy... it was more corolla sized than camry.

Technically, in the U.S., it was marketed as a mid-sized sedan, but, in fact, was about on the border between compact and mid-sized. It certainly was not as large as its sister Taurus/Sable....but, IMHO, a lot better built.
Old 05-18-23, 07:27 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

yes it handled well for a front drive econobox but it was GUTLESS. i enjoyed it as a rental because being so low on power i could always accelerate foot to the floor.
When they use the term "benchmark" they don't literally mean comparing the size of the rear benches..

They compare NVH, fit and finish, perceived quality, fuel efficiency, performance ... and the size of the rear bench. The codename for the Mondeo was CDW27 - the name highlights the fact that it straddled the C (Corolla) and D(Camry) sectors.
I always thought the 2.0 litre model went pretty well (although a lot of sales here were the 1.8 Turbodiesel). If you wanted more power there was a 2.5 litre V6 and you could have AWD if you wanted. Ironically, when it came for me to choose a car of that size I went with the Citroen Xantia with its hydropneumatic suspension - a car I loved and one which gave me no trouble at all throughout my time running it.
Old 05-18-23, 11:43 AM
Trackruner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That was done, back in the 70s and early 80s, to make it easier for those few drivers who actually obeyed the speed limit...it highlighted the 55.
Sure it highlighted the 55, I get that. However, why the line between 0 and 15? All the other jumps are "10." Why have the speedometer start at 5 with a line for 10 instead? Seems like a stupid design.
Old 05-18-23, 12:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Speedometer on my S560 still has a marker at 55.

Old 05-18-23, 02:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yep....can't explain that one.

One thing I like on the S-Class is that, for such a technically complex vehicle, it has a simple, no-nonsense analog circular speedometer . Of course, I realize it's probably an electronic-graphic speedometer, but still a simple-easy-to-read design. I'd like it better if it were 10, 20, 30, etc...but it still beats some of that digital stuff.

On my GX, they do it both ways..a conventional round speedometer on the dash, and an electronic heads-up display on a small pop-up screen in front of the driver. You can program different info into the heads-up display.

That will change next year, though, for 2024, when Buick starts using that new 19-inch-wide screen.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-18-23 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-18-23, 02:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Its confirguarble. The tach on the right can be a tach or display other info. I leave mine on the tach:

Old 05-18-23, 06:28 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
When they use the term "benchmark" they don't literally mean comparing the size of the rear benches..
Yeah, I think the foremost thing that killed the sales of these cars was the serious deficiency of rear seat room.

I had a high opinion of these when they came out because of the positive reviews about their handling. I recommended one to a young mom I worked with, and it didn't do well for her. Then I got in one as a rear-seat passenger that we rented for a business trip, and some jagged metal edges they left unfinished under the front seat permanently slashed up the toe of my dress shoes. That was enough Contour for me.
Old 05-19-23, 06:51 AM
Trackruner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks like the 35 also has a line, I wonder what that is for? At first I thought maybe the speed limit but that says 30.
Old 05-19-23, 09:42 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Why does it also have a marker @ 35 mph, when the speed limit reader shows @ 30 in the display?

Quick Reply: MM Retro-Write-Up: 1995-2000 Ford Contour/Mercury Mystique