Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Honda CR-V mini review...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-23, 08:38 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts
Default 2019 Honda CR-V mini review...

My mother got rear ended, just a teeny stupid fender bender, and she got said 2019 CRV as a loaner.

Of course I had to take it for a spin to check out how it drove. I wanted to see how a CRV drove now that they aren't dogs and have decent power.

Other than the engine it was a really nice car. I am not being dramatic or showing my disdain for the downsized engines but I sure hope the other Honda turbos are not this way.

I literally counted to 3 Mississippi before the full power came in. Once it does the little thing is fine, but *literally* 2.5 to 3 seconds for full power. Mom realllllly wants her Enclave back with the lovely GM NA V6 because she doesn't feel safe in it because of this turbo lag. She said she almost was hit because she stepped on the gas and nothing happens for just an unacceptable amount of time. I don't remember the Lexus 2.0t having nearly this much lag even though that's a god-awful engine too, but it's not dangerous with the lag— it's just unpleasant sounding and feeling. I will say the CVT did a decent job enough of simulating an automatic for those who don't care or notice. This did not have start/stop which I was annoyed by, I really need to see how that works in action. That makes the engine even worse.

The interior was typical Honda, plenty pleasant and high quality. Infotainment screen bright and vivid, and modern. I liked the wood trim as you can see in the pic, even though obviously it's fake. Other than that turbo lag it seems to be a great little crossover, it was roomy inside.

Does anyone own one of these or have driven one? They are incredibly popular and almost cult-like and I see a countless amount.

Last edited by AJT123; 05-19-23 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-19-23, 08:57 AM
RadiantX45
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

In my city, if an oncoming car has its brights on, 80% of the time its a CRV. So I associate the CRV with oblivious and ignorant drivers (harsh I know).
Old 05-19-23, 09:01 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My mom had a '20 CRV Touring, and I don't remember it having any turbo lag or transmission hesitation. Test drove a '19 Touring vs. Mazda CX-5 Signature and Hyundai Santa Fe Ultimate; passed on the Honda. It definitely placed a distant 3rd in that comparison. But it's a solid car in that class.
Old 05-19-23, 09:31 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

I have to agree with you, I have serviced and done minor repairs on several of this gen and they are unimpressive and laggy. A full stomp doesn't give you anything...

Worse than a Q5
Old 05-19-23, 09:39 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
I have to agree with you, I have serviced and done minor repairs on several of this gen and they are unimpressive and laggy. A full stomp doesn't give you anything...

Worse than a Q5
Literally dangerous, I would plan ahead serious merging and passing driving one of those.

I'd rather have a NA 4 in that with less power, as long as it was acceptable enough.
Old 05-19-23, 10:18 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

My brother has an '18 Touring of which I have driven several times when visiting. I agree it is not the quickest nor quietest, but I think compared to other SUV's in its class, it is definitely one of the better ones, good on gas, pretty solid and lots of room for both passengers & 'stuff'.
Old 05-19-23, 10:44 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,006 Likes on 801 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223

Worse than a Q5
Originally Posted by AJT123
Literally dangerous, I would plan ahead serious merging and passing driving one of those.

I'd rather have a NA 4 in that with less power, as long as it was acceptable enough.
I wonder if the lag will go away if you can manual shift and keep the rpm's high and "stay in the boost".
OR- wondering if the loaner was governed so it can't be pushed too hard but that could probably require an ecm flash of some kind.
Old 05-19-23, 10:54 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

only think I don’t like is the unpainted wheel trim. Screams fake ruggedness

Originally Posted by AJT123
My mother got rear ended, just a teeny stupid fender bender, and she got said 2019 CRV as a loaner.

Of course I had to take it for a spin to check out how it drove. I wanted to see how a CRV drove now that they aren't dogs and have decent power.

Other than the engine it was a really nice car. I am not being dramatic or showing my disdain for the downsized engines but I sure hope the other Honda turbos are not this way.

I literally counted to 3 Mississippi before the full power came in. Once it does the little thing is fine, but *literally* 2.5 to 3 seconds for full power. Mom realllllly wants her Enclave back with the lovely GM NA V6 because she doesn't feel safe in it because of this turbo lag. She said she almost was hit because she stepped on the gas and nothing happens for just an unacceptable amount of time. I don't remember the Lexus 2.0t having nearly this much lag even though that's a god-awful engine too, but it's not dangerous with the lag— it's just unpleasant sounding and feeling. I will say the CVT did a decent job enough of simulating an automatic for those who don't care or notice. This did not have start/stop which I was annoyed by, I really need to see how that works in action. That makes the engine even worse.

The interior was typical Honda, plenty pleasant and high quality. Infotainment screen bright and vivid, and modern. I liked the wood trim as you can see in the pic, even though obviously it's fake. Other than that turbo lag it seems to be a great little crossover, it was roomy inside.

Does anyone own one of these or have driven one? They are incredibly popular and almost cult-like and I see a countless amount.

Nice review.

Still a cut above and not as ugly as a Hyundai Santa Fe.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-19-23 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-19-23, 11:23 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

only think I don’t like is the unpainted wheel trim. Screams fake ruggedness
It's not "unpainted"; it's painted black.

Nice review.

Still a cut above and not as ugly as a Hyundai Santa Fe.
Ugliness is subjective; but if you compare the top trim of the Santa Fe and the top trim of that generation of the CR-V, I can tell you the Honda is absolutely not "a cut above". I own a 19 Santa Fe and my mom had a 20 CR-V until a few weeks ago. The Santa Fe is quieter, more powerful, more luxurious and has way more standard features. Even my wife, who doesn't pay any attention to cars whatsoever, noticed right away that the CR-V just didn't compare to the Santa Fe (or the CX-5 we also looked at). The CR-V doesn't even offer a surround view camera (not even in the newest generation). CR-V infotainment system is sub par. Fake wood trim doesn't even try to look like real wood.

The CR-V does get better gas mileage, though.

Were you thinking Tucson? I haven't looked at one.
Old 05-19-23, 11:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670

Looks unpainted in the sense that it is not painted blue like the rest of the body.
Old 05-19-23, 11:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Its actually unpainted, its just black textured plastic trim. My assistant has one of these and I have been in it many times. Its not bad.
Old 05-19-23, 11:48 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Looks unpainted in the sense that it is not painted blue like the rest of the body.
"Wheel trim" - you mean the cladding on the fender? Sorry, I thought you meant the black part of the wheel itself.
Old 05-19-23, 11:52 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

"Wheel trim" - you mean the cladding on the fender? Sorry, I thought you meant the black part of the wheel itself.
I guess I should’ve said wheel well trim. I’ve never liked it when it’s not body colored, looks fake rugged.
Old 05-19-23, 12:01 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

I guess I should’ve said wheel well trim. I’ve never liked it when it’s not body colored, looks fake rugged.
But is it ok on the 4R, since that's "actual" rugged?
Old 05-19-23, 12:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

But is it ok on the 4R, since that's "actual" rugged?
no way. The unpainted ones in the 4R are fake rugged too. The only exception is the FJ Cruiser.

this too

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-19-23 at 12:17 PM.

Quick Reply: 2019 Honda CR-V mini review...