Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MotorTrend: 3-Row SUV comparison test

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-23, 01:07 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default MotorTrend: 3-Row SUV comparison test

From battleship-sized wagons to podlike minivans to three-row SUVs, Americans have always loved big family trucksters. Automakers constantly invest in their plus-size portfolios, but which one makes the best family three-row SUV? We asked seven manufacturers to send us non-hybrid, all-wheel-drive models in the $50,000-$55,000 price range, which we drove up to tony Thousand Oaks, California, for one of our famous big comparison tests.
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/3...rokee-l-cx-90/

Last edited by GFerg; 05-26-23 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-26-23, 01:25 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm really surprised how the Mazda placed in this test....
Old 05-26-23, 01:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I'm really surprised how the Mazda placed in this test....
i'm not.
CONS
  • Handling focus greatly limits appeal
  • Miserly back-seat/cargo/storage space
  • Equipment levels don't justify high price
or that palisade/telluride come in 1 and 2.

what hyundai/kia did was use the fwd packaging advantage to give most people what they want, tons of room and features in a package that isn't gigantic for a reasonable price. that's why they're winners.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 05-26-23 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-26-23, 01:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GFerg
might want to put the "non-amp" link in your post, it reads better.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/3...rokee-l-cx-90/
Old 05-26-23, 01:47 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

I was finally able to check out my friend’s Telluride and I was very impressed. The interior was very well thought out and luxurious IMO. I would have no issue getting one of those and can see why they are so well regarded here.
Old 05-26-23, 02:39 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i'm not.

or that palisade/telluride come in 1 and 2.

what hyundai/kia did was use the fwd packaging advantage to give most people what they want, tons of room and features in a package that isn't gigantic for a reasonable price. that's why they're winners.
I just thought a car mag would downplay practicality, and prioritize driving dynamics. The Palisade/Telluride have pretty consistently been the top 2 picks in almost every comparison since they debut, so I'm not surprised.
Old 05-26-23, 03:04 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm not surprised at all about these results. I don't have any kids at the moment so naturally I'm most drawn to the bottom finishers, the Grand Cherokee and CX-9 in that order.
Old 05-26-23, 03:05 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the results - we test drove all of them last year except for the Pilot (although we ended up with it's MDX cousin) and Mazda. We really liked the palisade. The interior was gorgeous. But at the time, they wanted a $10k ADM. No thanks...
Old 05-26-23, 07:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Their low opinion of the Explorer pretty much matched my impression when I reviewed it. Large and roomy, yes, but an interior cheapness that not only insults something of this price tag, but also, IMO, some poorly-designed features as well that awe awkward to operate.

Personally, I would have liked to have seen where the 3-row Buick Enclave would have fit into this crowd, but they did not include one in their test. It probably would have gotten points for a plush and cavernous interior, riding comfort, and interior quietness, but most Buicks, except for some of the Opel-designed ones, are traditionally not sport-oriented enough for C&D's staff.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-27-23 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-27-23, 09:59 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

The CX-90 basically sits where the Hyundai Genesis sedan was during its debut. Powertrain and driving dynamics above the FWD class, but not refined or advanced enough to compete with the luxury badges. A bargain compared to vehicles with similar RWD layouts, but not compared to the cheaper FWD ones in this competition.
Old 05-27-23, 02:12 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,006 Likes on 801 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
The CX-90 basically sits where the Hyundai Genesis sedan was during its debut. Powertrain and driving dynamics above the FWD class, but not refined or advanced enough to compete with the luxury badges. A bargain compared to vehicles with similar RWD layouts, but not compared to the cheaper FWD ones in this competition.
You keep up with all the latest stuff so I have one for you and mmarshall and anyone else that wants to add.

Dollar for dollar what's your pick?
What would you bring home with hard earned money and no regrets.

Taking in all things to account, such as value, styling, optioned or basic, brand image, availability, resale value, etc, etc, the top pick.
Old 05-27-23, 03:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Margate330
I have one for you and mmarshall and anyone else that wants to add.

Dollar for dollar what's your pick?
What would you bring home with hard earned money and no regrets.

Taking in all things to account, such as value, styling, optioned or basic, brand image, availability, resale value, etc, etc, the top pick.
Since you want my opinion, in this class, personally, I like the way that the Buick Enclave and Lincoln Aviator look and drive....but reliability may (?) be suspect with them.

Among the specific group tested in the article, I'd avoid the Ascent in spite of its space-efficiency and low price......reliability has been poor, and I myself have known dissatisfied owners. I'd also avoid the Explorer for several reasons......cheap bargain-basement interior materials, IMO poorly-designed controls/buttons inside, and an obvious attempt by Ford to build to an econo-budget while charging a not-econo price. Early-production Explorers also had a disastrous production-launch....which required them to be sent to a completely different plant for major repairs. The CX-90 is nice in some ways, but doesn't have a lot of room inside......I agree with the article that too much attention is given to the driver and not enough to the passengers. I don't know a whole lot about the Pilot, and have not sampled one, so I can't comment much on it. The Jeep is the obvious choice if one goes off-road, but, once again, one may (?) have reliability concerns with it. If I had to choose between one of those six models, I'd probably opt between the Telluride and Palisade...or, if I felt like spending some more, to a Genesis. The Palisade (with equivalent tires/wheels) has a slightly softer ride...that ride being a little more to my taste, but the Telluride, IMO, is better-looking inside and out and has a conventional fore/aft lever-shifter that I like instead of shift-buttons. Neither one seems quite as solidly-built as Hyundai/Kia predecessors, but are still better than average, and still come with one of the best warranties in the buisness.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-27-23 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-27-23, 03:30 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

I think for the money, and what most people look for in this type of vehicle, this review is pretty much right on. Car enthusiasts look at vehicles one way, the general public just want something that will work for them. In this case, looking at 3 row crossovers, I think most people are looking for comfort, ease of use, and value for the money. Zero-60 unless ridiculously slow won't matter, as FWD vs RWD, etc. If they need AWD, all of these vehicles offer it so that also would not be an issue.
Old 05-27-23, 03:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jer
I think for the money, and what most people look for in this type of vehicle, this review is pretty much right on. Car enthusiasts look at vehicles one way, the general public just want something that will work for them. In this case, looking at 3 row crossovers, I think most people are looking for comfort, ease of use, and value for the money. Zero-60 unless ridiculously slow won't matter, as FWD vs RWD, etc. If they need AWD, all of these vehicles offer it so that also would not be an issue.

So...which one would you pick? I think that was the gist of Margate's question.
Old 05-27-23, 07:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i skimmed through the 346 photos on the article site after reading comments about the small screen on the explorer. i couldn't believe the pilot has a tiny screen too. and the ugly subaru vertical screen. as the article says, the jeep grand cherokee and explorer have cheap interiors. the mazda interior looks decent, but the short but wide screen looks kinda lost on the huge dash area. anyway, by the time i got to the telluride and palisade interiors i see why it's a no brainer why they won.

Quick Reply: MotorTrend: 3-Row SUV comparison test