Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Results of Bad Design

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-23, 05:09 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Hard to find any other manual AWD sedan in the $30k price range that can be fun and a true all year family car. It really doesn’t have much competition.
I would happily give up AWD to take a Civic Si or GTI over the new WRX.

Originally Posted by gor134
I've noticed the M4 sits longer than the M3. Glad people are preferring the traditional proportions of the M3 which still looks like a BMW, while the M4's body looks quite bland and Mustang-y.
Until recently, neither has "sat", there have been long waits. But somewhat unusually this generation, the M3 Sedan is slightly outselling the M4 Coupe. M4 edges ahead slightly if you include both the coupe and convertible. Typically the coupes are at a 3-4:1 ratio to the sedans. But it seems they've mostly caught up, and M4s can now be had at a slight discount, and the wait for M3 allocations is relatively short at volume dealers.

I waited 8 months for my M3, and chose it over the M4 because I prefer the look of the "hips" in the rear, even though I don't actually need a 4-door anymore.
Old 06-06-23, 05:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,750 Likes on 1,967 Posts

I just don't see whats "excessively grotesque" about that WRX vs any other Subaru
Old 06-06-23, 05:13 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Allen K
True but manual demand is flagging too. Not great indicators for Subaru
Demand for manuals has doubled in the past 3 years. From 1.5% of all cars sold to 3.0%, so still small numbers overall, but increasing, despite fewer and fewer models offering the option.

For the WRX specifically, manual take rate is a whopping 79%. I expect that to go down slightly this generation with the new top and sportiest GT trim being CVT-only for some stupid reason, but it will remain high.
Old 06-06-23, 05:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Unless it is really used to an extreme amount, like on the old Isuzu VehiCross or early versions of the RAV-4, I don't see anything wrong with lower-body plastic/vinyl cladding.

In fact, I like the cladding on my Encore GX.....IMO it adds to the looks, and helps protect the lower body.

Old 06-06-23, 05:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I just don't see whats "excessively grotesque" about that WRX vs any other Subaru

I don't either. See my earlier post.
Old 06-06-23, 05:17 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In fact, I like the cladding on my Encore GX.....IMO it adds to the looks, and helps protect the lower body.
Would you have liked it on your Verano? Because that's a better comparison to what it looks like on the WRX. This is a sport sedan we're talking about, not a "fake tough" CUV.
Old 06-06-23, 05:18 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,235 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
That's what a tune is for . I would say 99 percent of WRX owners go full bolt on and a tune. I worked with a guy who had a WRX, he always brought his laptop when he drove to monitor fuel trims etc
True but if you are bound by the chains of warranty and leases you can't do that plus these really don't take kindly to tunes. Very prone to issues unless you build it and see point 1 as to why that's hard for some.

You are way better off with Hondas for that honestly
Old 06-06-23, 05:19 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,235 Likes on 919 Posts

Not worth $30k for a new manual AWD car that has huge trunk, nice back seat and updated tech. To me its a bargain.
Folks are paying over $60k for Civic Type R.
30k can get you a hell of a lot more car. Poor guy got his soul crushed when I took him for a ride in my cars and told him the price lol!
Old 06-06-23, 05:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
Would you have liked it on your Verano?

I wouldn't have complained. In fact, Saturn once used it on their base-trim SL sedans....higher-trim versions were painted.

And I agree with Steve that I don't see anything outlandish-looking about the WRX's that the OP posted.
Old 06-06-23, 06:35 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Look at previous gen then compare it to current car.
If you can’t spot the difference then I can’t help you lol
Old 06-06-23, 06:36 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I wouldn't have complained. In fact, Saturn once used it on their base-trim SL sedans....higher-trim versions were painted.

And I agree with Steve that I don't see anything outlandish-looking about the WRX's that the OP posted.
Those Saturns are some of the most hideous cars ever made.
Old 06-06-23, 06:40 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Striker223
30k can get you a hell of a lot more car. Poor guy got his soul crushed when I took him for a ride in my cars and told him the price lol!
What can you get new or used for $30k that is better that has a manual, AWD and 4 doors.
Old 06-06-23, 06:46 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by geko29
I would happily give up AWD to take a Civic Si or GTI over the new WRX.

Until recently, neither has "sat", there have been long waits. But somewhat unusually this generation, the M3 Sedan is slightly outselling the M4 Coupe. M4 edges ahead slightly if you include both the coupe and convertible. Typically the coupes are at a 3-4:1 ratio to the sedans. But it seems they've mostly caught up, and M4s can now be had at a slight discount, and the wait for M3 allocations is relatively short at volume dealers.

I waited 8 months for my M3, and chose it over the M4 because I prefer the look of the "hips" in the rear, even though I don't actually need a 4-door anymore.
Agreed Civic Si is better but many ppl need AWD depending where they live.

There are fewer M3 allocations than M4, this was the case for F8x gen as well. I had 2 F8x M3s and both i had to wait for while M4s were available. BMW no longer breaks down M figures so who knows. I can only tell based dealer inventory and allocation count that M3 is more in demand. I think the new M2 will also take sales from M4.
Old 06-06-23, 06:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Those Saturns are some of the most hideous cars ever made.
Not IMHO. And the side-panels never dinged, dented, rusted, or corroded.
Old 06-06-23, 07:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Look at previous gen then compare it to current car.
If you can’t spot the difference then I can’t help you lol
A somewhat rude comment. I myself often don't agree with Steve, but he certainly is entitled to his opinion. And styling is generally an area that is subjective.

Quick Reply: Results of Bad Design